The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Push Button Start (merged 11.07)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wasn't... LOL I think the reason no one wants to race us, is not because were fast, they just don't to help push the car on the way back. Either way, the push start is working out great, just another step added in the start up process I guess.. Fuel pump on, turn key, pray, push button start, pat dash and thank the car for starting today.

I wasn't... LOL I think the reason no one wants to race us, is not because were fast, they just don't to help push the car on the way back. Either way, the push start is working out great, just another step added in the start up process I guess.. Fuel pump on, turn key, pray, push button start, pat dash and thank the car for starting today.

Hahahahahaa, nice. I love/hate that feeling. Even with the utmost confidence and built with the best parts...I still get nervous it wont start somehow, and it sucks even worse when your bad feeling is right. :p

DSM if something is not breaking, your not doing it right.
On a side note... am I the only one that gets worried when that "weird" noise your car makes, stops...

as of late the push start, cranks the car ok, but it will stall if I dont give it gas, after no problems. .... Why car.. Why?

i wasn't... Lol i think the reason no one wants to race us, is not because were fast, they just don't to help push the car on the way back. Either way, the push start is working out great, just another step added in the start up process i guess.. Fuel pump on, turn key, pray, push button start, pat dash and thank the car for starting today.

+2, rofl

I recently bought this 96 GSX that is in this thread

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/414655-now-i-need-your-help.html

I have been trying to address many issues and maintenance issues before I put it on the road. The day I bought the vehicle it started rite up at the sellers house, it was a warm day in Florida. The vehicle revved from about 600rpm to 2100rpm back and forth repeatedly for a period of time before it settled to 1100rpm. I decided to buy the vehicle anyway. The vehicle has a push button start that seemed unattractive so I had wondered why they may have put it there. I got the vehicle to my house and it sat for a few weeks before I began to address it again, I went to start it up recently on a colder morning and could not get it started. After recharging the battery and later in the day when the tempatures were warmer it started on the third attempt. After some reading on this site I saw in some other cold start threads that the fuel pump doesnt actually run until the car is running...so i thought: maybe that is the reason for the push button start; I can hold the key forward without starting the car and I can hear the fuel pump turn on..so I did this on a cold morning to see if this was the problem. It still did not want to start. The car will start up in the warmer part of the day much easier. My question is where should I begin to troubleshoot this problem as of now? I am a rookie with these motors. Also I should tell you guys that it has a G4CP block from a Hyundai (which I did not know until after the sale). With the help of a "wiseman" member and other members we were able to identify a lot of the parts. I would greatly appreciate some more of your feedback about my current start-up problem that I have addressed. I put the link above give you a better idea of what the car has and hope that I can gleen more from the community. Thanks for your time and input!

Well sence you took the liberty of posting agian, i will tell you to start with the obvious eyesores. Grab a owner's manual and hit the books. Maybe giving you a list will get you in the right direction. If it's in your car and its unplugged, it probably isnt right.
1.Lets start with your air filter and the wrap on your radiator hose, and toss that fram oil filter.
2.Check around for recommended oil's and oil filters.
3.GET A TIMING COVER!. <--- Yes I capitalized that. Also if you don't know when the last time your timing was done, do it!
4.Check all fluids, maintenance equals horsepower.
5.Check your base fuel pressure.
5.Look into eprom ecu's and ecmlink you wont regrete it.
This should get you into the right direction, these cars can take your money, but its so worth it. Good luck research,maintain, and keep boosting!:hellyeah:

Oh wow! Bringing this backup because I am highly impressed. I love this idea, did the OP ever come up with a write up?

Good question, did the OP do a write up? I think he should sell a kit with detailed instuctions, seems like there is plenty of interest in the set-up to make it worthwhile. I'd buy one :thumb:

I wouldn't want to go through all those steps, instead of just turning a key, everyday. Just my opinion.

On a side note, I wonder how well this would work with a remote start system?

I wouldn't want to go through all those steps, instead of just turning a key, everyday. Just my opinion.

On a side note, I wonder how well this would work with a remote start system?

I would assume it wouldn't be that bad but according I mean he could always customize it to be like this:
Advanced Keys - AK-103B Smart Key with Push Start System

from this site (if i read it right) you just walk up to your car (provided you have the chip), it unlocks you walk in and it starts automatically. It also says somewhere in that site that remote starts will not be affected. Plus it kills the ignition if someone attempts to gain access without the proper chip. I mean maybe he could customize it or people can just buy the above. Either way seems like a pretty cool idea.

Found this also.

Advanced Keys - Products

They offer kits that I am sure can be adapted to our cars. You have a proximity chip on your person. Whey you get near the car, the alarm disarms and doors unlock. You get it and just push engine on to start. Once you stop and turn of the engine and get a certain distance the alarm engages again and doors lock. Also comes with the key cards you can use as a backup. Like keep it in your wallet in case you ever loose the key.

EDIT: Whoops this guy above me already linked to it but still seems pretty awesome. I might have to give it a try. Do you guys think putting the button where the cig lighter goes would be cool?

If OP is reading this reply.....check your garage......I'm taking that Talon.
I want!!!!!!

Found this also.

Advanced Keys - Products

They offer kits that I am sure can be adapted to our cars. You have a proximity chip on your person. Whey you get near the car, the alarm disarms and doors unlock. You get it and just push engine on to start. Once you stop and turn of the engine and get a certain distance the alarm engages again and doors lock. Also comes with the key cards you can use as a backup. Like keep it in your wallet in case you ever loose the key.

EDIT: Whoops this guy above me already linked to it but still seems pretty awesome. I might have to give it a try. Do you guys think putting the button where the cig lighter goes would be cool?

Yes a button where the rusty cig lighter is would be DSMtastic:rocks:ROFL

I need a diagram on how i would hook up 2 toggles and a push button with no key.
I have all the relays and wire. Have looked all over and cant find anything. Trying to have a acc toggle and ING toggle and the start button Thanks!

Thats good and people will look at you all weirdly when going to your car LOL, how much battery drain will it use over night or a few days if not moved so it can keep the signal power going? Or have you not tested that yet?

This is amazing though reminds me of the koenigsegg and there push buttons and the way that starts

No key as in literally no key? Or are you using an ignition system from a factory car that has a keyless system?

It seems to me that youd just have to wire the acc/ON position to a constant 12v from the battery with a switch that controls the constant power on/off, then use a button to control the starter. I have a push button in my car, but I still use the key. Once the key is on ON, i flip a switch which activates (allows power to travel to) my push to start button... once activated, my push to start button is connected to the starter so that when pressed, it turns over the starter. Once I flip the switch back off, the push to start button doesnt do anything. So to not use a key, Im assuming if you wired the ON button to constantly be on with the flip of a switch, everything else I did for mine would work the same. Yours would need TWO switches and a push to start button.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back