The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Porsche GT3 Brake Ducts Installed on 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobrajetguy

Probationary Member
Feb 17, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
I did a quick search and didn't see anything about this so here goes.

Last time I took my 1G to the local road course I melted the front brakes off of it and they were good high temp pads. I wanted to take my 2G to the same track but didn't want to end up with the same results. Both cars are running 2 piston front calipers with outlander rotors and brackets. I looked at some options and couldn't find a good way to route hose around the axles and would still need to fab a new backing plate. I saw many cars how oem wings/deflectors attached to the lower control arm to divert air running under the car toward the center of the wheel to help cool the brakes. The biggest duct I could find of this style is off of a Porsche GT3 model. The parts were surprisingly cheap from my local Porsche dealer, ebay was more expensive LOL. The part numbers I used were
997-341-484-92
997-341-483-92

The ducts are designed to snap around the stock lower Porsche arm so they required a little trimming to fit the DSM lower arm. I wasn't able to figure out a way to re-use the clips on the duct and ended up using zip ties to hold the duct to the arm. It sounds ghetto I know but I was looking for a quick fix the night before the event and it turns out they held on fine. I drove the car to and from the track at 80 mph and hit 130 mph on track and they are still on the car. I don't have direct before and after results but I didn't experience any brake fade during this track day so they must have had a positive effect. I was using pretty cheap pads as well (stoptech performance pads) and they still have good meat left. Take a look at the pics and let me know if you have any questions, hopefully this can help somebody out. I spent less than $20 on this mod :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

View from under the car

I will definitely look into this for track days! On my 2g, I also currently run the Outlander setup as I also need the availability to use 15 in wheels for rally cross. From experience on track days, I have been really pleased with the performance of Carbotech XP10s. I have a dedicated set of Centric blanks just for use with those pads. I have also been making sure to bleed the brakes before track days with ATE fluid as it holds up well. The biggest drawback to this setup is the lack of titanium back plates and high-temp seals. I have a back-up set of calipers I swap and rebuild as the boots don't hold up long. It also looks like we share the the same tire/rim combination! Love the ZIIs!

Thanks for sharing the brake ducting.

Last edited:
VERY nice job. I had something like this fabricated for my car. Afterwards people commented how they were similar to Porsche pieces but I'd never seen just how similar :) I took my inspiration from Evos.

Wish I'd known about these porsche pieces ahead of time, might have saved me a ton of money! Nice job man.

VERY nice job. I had something like this fabricated for my car. Afterwards people commented how they were similar to Porsche pieces but I'd never seen just how similar :) I took my inspiration from Evos.

Wish I'd known about these porsche pieces ahead of time, might have saved me a ton of money! Nice job man.

I really like how clean your setup looks! This has been a project of mine for next season.

I forgot to add I saw upwards of a 50 deg F drop in caliper temps (measured with peak temp stickers from Alcon on the outside of the caliper) in similar weather conditions with my "ducts" compared to without and otherwise no negatives so I'd say these work very well.

I know this is a very old post, but I'm getting ready to order these. Will they work well without any kind of ducting to direct outside air to them? My concern is that I will have a large front splitter that will likely go right back to them. Perhaps I could build an air channel from the splitter/floor to the duct?

I fitted these to my car today and figured I'd post how I did it since it was slightly different than the OP.

I trimmed the areas in red with a knife and used a 1.5" hole saw at the green mark (centered on a circle molded in the piece). This allowed me to utilize the clips. The ducts actually held on quite strong with just the clips and I don't think they would fall off. However, once I had the ducts mounted, I drilled two 3/16" holes near the small part of the control arm to use a zip tie. This was mostly to pull the duct in tighter to the control arm to direct the airflow better, but will also prevent it from falling off or shifting side to side. They clear everything pretty well, although there could be some slight interference with the lower bolt on my brake caliper mounting bracket. I don't have my power steering rack in right now so I'm not sure how far the wheel will turn. Even so, I decided not to trim the outer edge of the duct since it should just bent the duct.

I don't have any track days planned the remainder of this year so it could be a while until I'm able to check results. I'm hopeful they'll help a little bit at least even though they're mounted much more perpendicular than they would be in the Porsche applications. For $10 total and an hour or so installing them it's hard to argue even if the gains are marginal :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back