The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Plastidipped my car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am seriously considering doing this on my 02 gt hood like in the image below. The other pic is of my car. Im worried though about how to keep the edges straight on my masking.. [since you guys said it stuck to the tape]

Any comments/suggestions?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

With the tape, plastic and steel wool....about $90. Still have to get foam tape to put the moldings back on but that shouldn't be more than a few bucks.

Thats it. im doing it.

i was going matte black anyway, might as well make it easier than going to a shop!

is it easier or harder to keep clean than other flat or matte paint?

Also, is it possible to do my dash with this? i know spray paint is TACKY AS HELL, however considering the rubbery properties of this, wouldn't it be more flexible and actually hold up?

Last edited:
Just peel the tape before it dries or go over the tape line with a razor.

Ill be doing several coats.. I'd think the stuff would start to set before was I done. I'm also kinda worried about using a razor and cutting into the paint below.. and I'm worried about a crisp line afterwards.

so I spoke with a customer service person at plastidip today. The said the only primer to use is theirs as other primers will cause the plastidip to separate as the primer off gasses while it cures.

Secondly they said DO NOT use a degreasing agent prior to spraying the plastidip as that can cause it to float due to microscopic amounts no drying before applying the product to the car.

And now for the heart breaker, the white is as thin as I thought. The said to get good coverage I would have to use the roll on stuff or buy the make your own color kit and add tons of pigment as the white is basically clear with a tiny bit of pigment :(

This is really a bummer. I had planned to rattle attack the entire car white. Changing color from red to white. BUT I don't want to end up with a pink car.

Yes I have. I didn't do a huge part of the car, just the rails along the windshield. The pics are in this thread somewhere hahaha

I'll re-post them if you want :thumb:

I wanted to know if that would work because 20 bucks to repaint them instead of like 100 for new ones is totally the way ill go! did you strip them right down to the metal? and did you rough up the metal like 600 or 800 grit prior to spraying it? thanx! if it comes out good i wanna do my windshield rubber thats all dulled out.

looking good everyone! i bet the guys at ace are like what the? :confused: because their sales went from a few cans to an explosion of plastic dip orders LOL. i did see it at my home depot this weekend just an fyi they only had the black tho...

post pictures of the crack that you are seeing, i haven't noticed anything like this yet..

Here are the cracks that I have obtained somehow on the passenger quarter panel. Although, not really bad, still annoying. I can't complain for $100. The cracks and the dust collection are what are annoying to me. Anyone found out how to get the dust off, without smearing it everywhere??

Attachments

• 2011-03-26 18.33.19.jpg
    2011-03-26 18.33.19.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 2011-03-26 18.32.25.jpg
    2011-03-26 18.32.25.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 2011-03-26 18.32.38.jpg
    2011-03-26 18.32.38.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 2011-03-26 18.32.54.jpg
    2011-03-26 18.32.54.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 100
Looks good 95EagleT. How long after coating did those cracks form? Have you tried to do a touch up spray to fill it in?

Looks good 95EagleT. How long after coating did those cracks form? Have you tried to do a touch up spray to fill it in?

I took it to the car wash today and it DID NOT come off...I used a pressure washer without any ill effects.

They appeared a week after spraying, I also DID NOT re-spray it, I will do it again sometime this week though, if it comes back I'll let everyone know.

Since I just de-riced it, hopefully I can sell it soon. This car has come sooo far since it was tortured by it's previous owner, a little cosmetic issues won't hurt it...LOL.

If you put any wax on it, take a picture so we can see how it shows up.

Just for a later update, I did write to Plasti Dip just a moment ago about doing a clear.

"Hi Plasti Dip,

I'm highly considering taking on a new project of actually "painting" my vehicle with Plasti Dip.

I'm wanting to spray it down in black but I do not wish to keep it a matte/flat color. I'm curious on how the clear spray works.

Is the clear the same compound or is it specially formulated to act as a clear i.e. give a shine.

If not, what would be a viable way to apply a paint or lacquer based automotive clear coat? One video I watched showed a lacquer based clear being sprayed onto the Plasti Dip (dry) coated part but it sucked all of it up. The clear was still there, but there was very little shine due to being absorbed.

Again, is the clear dip act as a sealer for for other paints or even give a shine? If not, what would be a good way to prevent the Plasti Dip from soaking up the clear; a "primer" for paints?

Thank you,
Scott Dojka"

It's simple but when I do receive a reply, if relevant, I'll post up the response.

If I can find a way to do a good clear then I'm 100% down on doing this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to ace today and bought one can to try on my gas door, just to test if i like it. its drying right now, but is it supposed to look kind of splattery or is that just my nozzle?

I went to ace today and bought one can to try on my gas door, just to test if i like it. its drying right now, but is it supposed to look kind of splattery or is that just my nozzle?

What temperature are you spraying in? How close are you spraying? How many coats are you spraying? Every single one of these questions factor in to the way the plastidip looks.

If you put any wax on it, take a picture so we can see how it shows up.

Honestly, i wouldn't even try using wax on the plastidip...there is no point in doing so. If you are trying to bring a shine out in a matte look...your head must be some where else. Yes, i understand what you are trying to do but maybe it would be best to try it on a clear coat plastidip first

I just bought a gold 90 Talon and it had a bare steel hood so after seeing this thread a while back I decided to Plastidip it and I love it! I was impatient and painted when it just above freezing outside but it still turned out pretty good. I did like 4 or 5 coats and it didn't completely dry between each one so it's pretty thick but it still looks good to me. Thanks for the awesome idea!:thumb:

well one good thing to repoolrt with plasti dip is you can remove it by peeling it revy easy. Dont use sandpaper or a da sander as it will gum up the pad or paper instantly and not make a bit of progress on removing it. so im going to give it 2 thumbs up for durability.

DOes it really cost about 90 bux to plastidip a car..Cause I got a quote from a stupid friend of mine today for paint..He said a gallon of paint is like 500 bux, and clear is waay more than that..DOes anyone do paint and can give me a better quote than that?

Dupont hi solids clear is $480/gal, then a quart of activator is another $90. ~$570
An and GM white, dupont here sells for $114/quart. ~6 quarts --$684
$1284+tax, primer,filler,sandpaper,labor....

He's not far off,nor stupid, and the reason he quoted good product is because you pay somewhere. If you get cheap paint, takes more effort to make look nice, and doesn't last as long.

Plasti-dip. ~$100

Real paint job, doing your own work, ~$1000-2000 OMG

Yeah you can get it done, for like $500 at joe blows, but they do less prep work than you will to plastidip it, and use similar quality paints LOL.

I like this, maybe I'll give it a go on my beater car.

Here's a question, for those who has used it, would plastidip possibly make it so that a guy might not have to strip off 3 layers of prior paint that is partially stripped/sanded off? Would it spread out evenly and cover the carnage?

Don't ask how the wheels got like that, not even I know.

Here's a question, for those who has used it, would plastidip possibly make it so that a guy might not have to strip off 3 layers of prior paint that is partially stripped/sanded off? Would it spread out evenly and cover the carnage?

Don't ask how the wheels got like that, not even I know.

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't cover it, but it will not really fill in chips or gouges if that is what you're asking. I just scuffed up my hood (which was bare steel/primer mix) with some gray 3M pads and I actually wet-sanded the tops of the painted pop-up lights with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper then sprayed it. It still shows the imperfections of the steel underneath but it looks a lot better than it did! Hope that helps.

ok for the guys that painted thier cars, did it take a bunch of cans to paint the bumpers, ive used 2 cans of red on my bumper and it nowhere near what i want it, im guessing im going to have to use up to 4 cans just to cover some of the primer that i sanded when i wet sanded the bumper

ok for the guys that painted thier cars, did it take a bunch of cans to paint the bumpers, ive used 2 cans of red on my bumper and it nowhere near what i want it, im guessing im going to have to use up to 4 cans just to cover some of the primer that i sanded when i wet sanded the bumper
Pics or it didn't happen LOL.

I did my bumper red and I have to say I'm very very happy bit it takes a long time to do it....I also did my Hood black..soon the top will be black and the rest of the car red, and yes my bumper is stiched together i cant find one at a junk yard and i dont want to pay 300 new for one, i like the stiched, also i replaced those zip ties i painted over for some new ones to give it the red and black look i love

Attachments

• 2011-03-28_22.17.10.jpg
    2011-03-28_22.17.10.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2011-03-28_19.59.54.jpg
    2011-03-28_19.59.54.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 2011-03-28_19.59.36.jpg
    2011-03-28_19.59.36.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 69
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back