1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Plasti Dip hood Problem

Posted by jmeadz, Jul 13, 2013

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. dsmaz

dsmaz Proven Member

Joined Apr 17, 2012
    Bullhead City, Arizona
    i agree with this 10000000% :nono: and i am a painter by living

:thumb: :ohdamn:

2K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. 1995-tsi-awd

1995-tsi-awd Proven Member

Joined Jul 17, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    OMG. Might be going blue ...that looks good.

Attached Files:

Street Build 878  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. OZRallyEdition

OZRallyEdition Probationary Member

Joined Nov 27, 2013
    Yuba city, California
    For starters i dont know how many coats you sprayed but it should be from 4 to 5, second if you are getting a lot of texture your to close.

4. born2race

born2race Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2011
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Wow that looks great. Any idea what exact color that is?

628  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  5. 91-GS

91-GS Proven Member

Joined Jan 12, 2013
    Paris, Tennessee
    Can't go wrong with a blue car on golden/bronze/white rims :thumb:

1K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    000.0 whp · 000.0 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  6. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    If you truly want a black hood I would go buy a couple cans of rustoleum acrylic enamel black, and a couple cans of the same in clear. It would blow a lot of people's minds how good a rattle can job can look if done properly, wet sanded and buffed.

7. rich3389

rich3389 Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2006
    Ocean springs, Mississippi
    For starters, if your going to plasti dip a entire car or even anything larger than the wheels. The right way to do it is with a spray gun and not the rattle cans.

814  10

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. LegionGS

LegionGS Probationary Member

Joined Aug 30, 2007
    Norwalk, California
    Maybe you were to close when you paint it, and excuse me guys but I used the cans on my hood too.. and it went really good!! You don't need the gun if you don't want to . I will post pics later. And in my opinion, remove the plasti dip again and paint it again but this time gently :aha:

9. 3kgt2nv

3kgt2nv Proven Member

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    poughkeepsie, New York
    I am surprised that this thread still has new posts on it since I haven't been here in almost a year.

the cans use a higher amount of curing agents so the conditions outside really effect the final outcome. its why even in the summer putting the cans in hot water before use can help make the texture smoother since it doesn't clump up as much in the nozzle. its also the most common reason people get tiger stripping. the wind is the other main reason.

an of the shops that do it use an actual spray gun or the paint sprayer.

I have seen both used and the paint sprayer actually works better as there is less chance of the nozzle clogging.

after having it for a year though I can say that it isn't all its cracked up to be if your going to work on or drive the car everyday. sure the black obviously hides dirt better but I have to scrub my car almost everytime I drive it.

I think once the car is done and justused for the track I will be repainting it with actual paint and never look back to this $300 fad

10. Peeweeherrmann

Peeweeherrmann Probationary Member

Joined Feb 24, 2014
    Galveston, Texas
    Can someone give me advice please. I need to plastidip my whole car. I don't have the gun and if I take my time and go in small sections using rattle cans will it still be good outcome?

11. codym

codym Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    If you use rattle cans just do like you said - make sure to do even coats, one body piece at a time. If you aren't using any sort of tip, your finger(s) are very likely to get tired and you'll end up rushing, than it will come out looking like the original post.

I took the time when I did my bumper, and it's still holding up even after a few driveway scrapes... but IMO the entire body should really be done with a professional gun, in a professional manner.
    This stuff can really come out good when it is applied in a way you would paint your car.

Wouldn't let me show the pic, but that blue looks amazing.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

758  0

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
  12. LandoAWD

LandoAWD Retired

Joined Jun 13, 2002
    Hillsborough, North Carolina
    NoFingerWaggle.gif

13. new2awd

new2awd Proven Member

Joined Jan 19, 2009
    Spotswood, New Jersey
    In my use of plastidip, much like with normal automotive painting, prep is the hardest part. did you make sure your surface is cleaned. temperature plays a roll as well. and finally when spraying large areas use the sprayer kit

14. 90'AWDTalonFroggy

90'AWDTalonFroggy Proven Member

Joined Feb 1, 2014
    Old Monroe, Missouri
    Practice Makes Perfect, just keep working at it and youll get better

919  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  15. bucken13

bucken13 Proven Member

Joined Feb 6, 2014
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    WOW that looks awesome. Not to tread jack but how has the Dip heald up for you guys ? Seriously interested in going this route for my talon