The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Plasti Dip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know there's been a lot of talk about the kind of gun to use on certain forums, what do you use at your shop? I was thinking of white as well but I understand the matte white is a PITA to keep clean - are you keeping it matte?

I actually use a professional paint gun hooked to a compressor. with a 1-4 needle.
It is important to spray from the right distance to avoid any texture. I find that spraying from 11 inches in light coats, build the coverage slowing in 4-7 passes works best.

The white like anything that is white, shows dirt. The beauty of plasti-dip is that its durable and can be power washed without damaging it.
Yes, My car is and will be flat white, I'll probably add a gloss coat to the black on the roof. :thumb:

I actually use a professional paint gun hooked to a compressor. with a 1-4 needle.
It is important to spray from the right distance to avoid any texture. I find that spraying from 11 inches in light coats, build the coverage slowing in 4-7 passes works best.

The white like anything that is white, shows dirt. The beauty of plasti-dip is that its durable and can be power washed without damaging it.
Yes, My car is and will be flat white, I'll probably add a gloss coat to the black on the roof. :thumb:

Professional paint gun = HVLP? (I'm in the commerical/industrial coatings industry).

I was thinking gloss black for my roof too but I kinda wanted to see if there was a better gray than the 'gunmetal', IMO that looks like primer. I'd be interested in seeing pics of your car after it's done.

Professional paint gun = HVLP? (I'm in the commerical/industrial coatings industry).

I was thinking gloss black for my roof too but I kinda wanted to see if there was a better gray than the 'gunmetal', IMO that looks like primer. I'd be interested in seeing pics of your car after it's done.

Yes, for those who know "HVLP" works best. I just ordered a few gallons of the gunmetal gray, so we'll see what it looks like. Also, you can add other enhancers over top of your base coats to change the effect, by using the metalizers, gloss, pearl ect. The possibilities are really up to you. kinda like paint, but a lot more forgiving :thumb:

I've seen where the gunmetal had a silver metalizer added to it and it looked great.
Gave it just the right amount of flake & shine, also the metalizers have a gloss coat built into them F.Y.I.

Glad to see others as interested in this as I am. I was excited when dyc started selling pearl and when I saw the video linked above. If I was going to do white, I'd wait till pearl comes out in gallons and do a pearl white w/ gloss black top. I've also considered doing a black base with the pearl to get a dark silver look w/ the gloss black top.

GearheadJ - are you using a metalizer with the gunmetal?

Has anybody ever used the pearlizer over top of any of the colors (I am specifically interested in black)?

https://www.dipyourcar.com/product.php?productid=62&cat=31&page=1

Check out dipyourcar.com's forum, they have a section for specific color/additive examples.

not sure how to make a quote but "The white like anything that is white, shows dirt. The beauty of plasti-dip is that its durable and can be power washed without damaging it.
Yes, My car is and will be flat white, I'll probably add a gloss coat to the black on the roof."

i diped my rails last year and during the summer i guess the warm heat helped peel them off whenever i washed my car/the rails. since then i rediped them and used dupli color to act as a hardner, they seem to be much more durable now and i havent had any problems. mud and rocks (yes...i take it mudding sometimes) doesnt seem to damage them, very pleased with it but only after i rediped the rails and also added dupli color

not sure how to make a quote but "The white like anything that is white, shows dirt. The beauty of plasti-dip is that its durable and can be power washed without damaging it.
Yes, My car is and will be flat white, I'll probably add a gloss coat to the black on the roof."

i diped my rails last year and during the summer i guess the warm heat helped peel them off whenever i washed my car/the rails. since then i rediped them and used dupli color to act as a hardner, they seem to be much more durable now and i havent had any problems. mud and rocks (yes...i take it mudding sometimes) doesnt seem to damage them, very pleased with it but only after i rediped the rails and also added dupli color

The dip shouldn't have peeled up in a carwash if it was allowed to cure, I've had no problems with mine. Are you sure there weren't any contaminants on the rails when you did it - or - did you take it through a car wash before it was fully cured? It was mentioned earlier in the thread that a paint clearcoat will make the dip brittle, in time you may notice it craking and flaking.

For reference, I did mine outside on a sunny spring day, probably mid 70's. They've held up through a sunny Colorado Summer on my daily driver which is parked outside all day at work. I've also taken it through many carwashes.

If your dip is peeling in the heat, you're doing something wrong in your prep work.

+1 :thumb:

Yeah it turned out pretty good, I used a fine paint brush to paint the injen letters red then let it dry and when back over it a little with the dip to give it the paint speckle look.

+1 Good Job ! I plan on doing engine accents as well, the stuff is rated to 200 F

plastidip comes off easy, i would recomend going the billy mays rout and go get a can of that flex seal stuff, it actually works pretty good for the window trim:rocks:

I've never used the flex-seal but in my experience, plasti dip doesn't come off until you want it to. I've made mention of it in earlier posts but my mirrors and trims are dipped and they've been through 100 degree summer days, below zero winter days, lots of sun exposure and brush-type car washes with no peeling! Maybe it's different with others but I like the stuff.

Did you guys sand the drip moldings before you plastidipped or are you just cleaning it, tapping off and then painting? I was also wondering if anyone is doing the lower moldings under the drivers and passenger windows?

Did you guys sand the drip moldings before you plastidipped or are you just cleaning it, tapping off and then painting? I was also wondering if anyone is doing the lower moldings under the drivers and passenger windows?

Depending on how bad they are already peeling/cracking I may or may not sand them. But, keep in mind that large cracks or flaws in them will show in the plasti dip finish. If you don't sand them and can see the flaws in it, peel it, sand it and dip again ! That's the beauty of this stuff !:thumb:

I too have been reading about plasti dip. I think I want to go with white body, gloss black roof. I'll probably leave the white matte unless I don't like how it turns out. I also wanted to do the drip moldings since mine look terrible, so I'm happy to see that it turns out well.

For those of you with successful dips, what did you prep with? I read alcohol on DYC, but at the body shop I worked at we used prep-sol so I'm partial to that for paint prep.

A buddy of mine did his rims on his STI in this stuff. Actually looks pretty good except that its peeling on 1 rim. Not a bad $15 mod.

Exceptional Protection - Armor All Custom Shield Coating

Just found this. looks like armor all's answer to plastidip. anyone tried this stuff?

Fonzie at dipyourcar.com did a youtube comparison of this vs. plastidip and they're pretty indistinguishable. The Armor All is way more expensive though and it has the same "PD Black" code on the bottom of the can - it's likely plastidip sold under license.

I dipped my 2g in matte white. Prep work is more than half the battle. After awhile its a bi*** to remove. Ask me how I know. Lol

How many coats of white did you do? How long was it on before you tried to remove it?

I dipped a 1 g about a year ago and it sucked, collected dust like crazy and hard to clean. . I immediately regretted doing it and took about 8 hours to power wash off. I am still willing to do small parts but will never again do a car. Should merge this thread with the big plasti dip thread. Lots of good info in there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back