The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Plasti Dip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verbalcat

Proven Member
Dec 9, 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
My drip molding is getting plasti dipped...is there any other advice beside the clear coating? How many coats of each to get a similiar factory look? It's a shame that we can't buy these new anymore. Guess i'ts cheaper to dip...:p

Attachments

• mirrors.jpg
    mirrors.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 480
I was just thinking of doing this very thing! No dealers have them anymore and I'm not paying inflated prices just because of it.

I'll keep tabs on your adventure, be sure to update with how it comes out :)

Edit. And you know someones gonna ask about those mirrors. I haven't seen those yet, so what are they and can you get a couple pics of them. :D

When I dipped mine I think I used 3 coats of clear and they came out close to oem

Those mirrors look like the eBay ones with LEDs on the sides.

I will post a pic when its done...and yes, they are eBay mirrors with turn signals in them. Cool set up though...I'm thinking about painting them white.

I dipped my moldings almost a year ago and they still look great! I did three coats to get good coverage and build. Honestly considering doing my whole car but waiting for dipyourcar.com to come out with a charcol color.

Last edited:
Not to change top, but your side mirrors, what color is the led? if it's blue or some other color do the cops mess with you?

You can always change the bulb.

OP, ill be doing this as well. Once the 16 inches snow is gone.

MAKE SURE you pull the tape off before it dries.

Maybe this is just me, but wouldn't it be easier to take the rails off before dipping?

That's the beauty of plastidip, you don't have to - it peels off clean on surfaces you don't want it. There's lots of youtube videos on the subject, it's a remarkable material to play with.

Oh, I get all of that. But wouldn't taking the rails off make it easier to get all of the rail covered?

Oh, I get all of that. But wouldn't taking the rails off make it easier to get all of the rail covered?

I see what you're getting at, if the back side of the trim is failing like the exposed front side wouldn't it be easier (and better coating too) to take the trim off? Simply put, YES. However I was able to get the coverage I needed without taking them off the car and mine look the same as the day I did them.

FWIW I've been through the brush type carwashes with no peeling.

Just noticed you're in Denver, can you believe how warm it is? Looks like snow in the forecast next week though!

Last edited:
I see what you're getting at, if the back side of the trim is failing like the exposed front side wouldn't it be easier (and better coating too) to take the trim off? Simply put, YES. However I was able to get the coverage I needed without taking them off the car and mine look the same as the day I did them.

Fair enough!

Just noticed you're in Denver, can you believe how warm it is? Looks like snow in the forecast next week though!

Duuude. It's been hot. I walked out to my car at lunch today and had the sunroof open (not cracked, but open) to keep cool. It was awesome. I think this sort of temperature is perfect. :cool:

Duuude. It's been hot. I walked out to my car at lunch today and had the sunroof open (not cracked, but open) to keep cool. It was awesome. I think this sort of temperature is perfect. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I'm driving our black durango and it was hot at lunch today, waiting on my OEM clutch master so I can drive my talon again. I love having the windows down on a nice warm day! Plus you can hear the turbo spool so much better with the windows down :D

/threadjack

Anyway - yeah the plasti dip is pretty awesome for restoring the trims that always crack and flake, I've been following dipyourcar.com's forum and youtube channel, there's some pretty cool stuff people have done with it.

You guys are so lucky in Colorodo...my azz is freezing in Wasington...LOL. Can't wait to move to ...counting the days down...

Are you guys using a special Clear coat? or does Plasti dip have thier own?

You guys are so lucky in Colorodo...my azz is freezing in Wasington...LOL. Can't wait to move to ...counting the days down...

Are you guys using a special Clear coat? or does Plasti dip have thier own?

It's in the low 60's here today:D

I didn't use a clear coat on my dip, it's the matte finish but plasti dip does have their own gloss. Check out dipyourcar.com, they sell a ton of colors, matte clear, glossifier, metallizers, pealizer, and probably more...they also have a good fourm with lots of examples.

IMHO the matte finish looks good on the trims, they look original again.

I'm dipping my entire car this coming week.. pictures will be posted.
I actually do this for a living.. at the shop that I work at here in Columbus, OH.
Can't wait to panda bear my Talon !

I think someone said this already, but make sure you peel your masking off while the dip is still wet, or it will strip your finishing coats. I didn't clear coat my rails, went with a matte look like they are. The dip will last a very long time, and is very durable doesn't need clear unless thats the look you want.

When I put some clear on mine, I just used regular dupli-color clear

When I put some clear on mine, I just used regular dupli-color clear

Not a good idea.. makes it much harder to peel.. causes the dip to become stiff and break off in small pieces. I've been told that this stuff has a life of about 3yrs before you will need to re-do it, or touch it up. Dupli, krylon or anything else over top of plasti will make it more difficult to peel.

Not a good idea.. makes it much harder to peel.. causes the dip to become stiff and break off in small pieces. I've been told that this stuff has a life of about 3yrs before you will need to re-do it, or touch it up. Dupli, krylon or anything else over top of plasti will make it more difficult to peel.

Didn't know that...

In any case I put the stuff on my drip rails, so I don't expect to peel it off:D

Yep, You're basically adding a hardener over top and taken the flexibility away from the Plasti dip.
It will peel still, just going to be a real bi&C# about it. but, in your case.. I think you wanted it to be more
permanent.

I'll be doing a lot of different stuff an finishes with plasti-dip over the next few months...
The applications for this stuff are almost endless !

I'm dipping my entire car this coming week.. pictures will be posted.
I actually do this for a living.. at the shop that I work at here in Columbus, OH.
Can't wait to panda bear my Talon !

I know there's been a lot of talk about the kind of gun to use on certain forums, what do you use at your shop? I was thinking of white as well but I understand the matte white is a PITA to keep clean - are you keeping it matte?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back