The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Plasti Dip hood Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plastidip is by far the worst creation anyone has ever come to create. The reason it did not turn out is for a few reasons.

1. Spray Cans do not spray at a consistent pressure like a conventional HVLP Spray gun
2. Spray cans do not release consistent material due to the small tip size causing particals to become partially lodged in the nozzle itself.
3. Temperature and humidity also hugely affect a final product on a paint or paint like product applied to the car.
4. Overlap that is not consistent will create tiger stripes due to improper "laying out" of the material.
5. Spray cans often time use faster accelerators to create that "Fast Dry" marketing campaign to appeal to people that do not want to be patient or spend the money to do it right the first time.
6. You get what you pay for!

Now onto my plastidip rant. Why would anybody want to use a product that peels off? Is it to save money? I have yet to figure this out. The promises they make on a easy removal have yet to be proven to me after a couple of friends went down this road I warned them against. By adding this product onto a car you are in fact creating even more of a costly repair by adding a material that is not sandable, not repaint-able, and obviously does not withhold elements of elongated time frames. I would stay away from this. The only rubber I want on my car is the 4 tires and the spare in the back. $$$ Gets your car looking good! Use real paint. If anything else go down to a local auto body store get you some single stage paint, pick up a inexpensive spray gun kit from the hardware store, borrow a compressor and see what you can accomplish. The worst that can happen is you have to sand it all back off and try again, but my bet it, the second time will be a lot better than the first. Practice makes perfect.

Hope this wasn't taken offensively, just my point of view. If you disagree please feel free to challenge my view. Maybe someone knows better methods than I do. I am always open to learn about new products... Using them is a whole different story.
i agree with this 10000000% :nono: and i am a painter by living

Im not here to argue. I am here to offer advice. I offered the right way to do something. If you want to spray can your car, by all means please do. It is not my preference and it is the cheap way out. If your going to have a car that you dump tons of money into and/ or you build to represent you and your hard work I would prefer to have something that justifies me more than a 97 cent walmart can, or a 6-7 dollar can of plastidip. I spend to much money on my car as it is so why not have a lasting finish that looks good, and grabs attention. That's how I feel. But I am a Painter for a living so maybe my basis for desired look is higher than most. There is a reason all my builds are all over forums, and in magazines. Because I go for perfection. I would rather spend 6 months doing one thing right, then 20 minutes hacking something up just to get it done... Only to spend 500 more 20 minute sessions to achieve the same result if I am lucky. Do it right the first time. That's my motto. Please don't get offended or take it in the wrong context. This forum is here to help people, not drag them down.
:thumb: :ohdamn:

OMG. Might be going blue ...that looks good.

Attachments

• plasti.jpg
    plasti.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,926
For starters i dont know how many coats you sprayed but it should be from 4 to 5, second if you are getting a lot of texture your to close.

If you truly want a black hood I would go buy a couple cans of rustoleum acrylic enamel black, and a couple cans of the same in clear. It would blow a lot of people's minds how good a rattle can job can look if done properly, wet sanded and buffed.

For starters, if your going to plasti dip a entire car or even anything larger than the wheels. The right way to do it is with a spray gun and not the rattle cans.

Maybe you were to close when you paint it, and excuse me guys but I used the cans on my hood too.. and it went really good!! You don't need the gun if you don't want to . I will post pics later. And in my opinion, remove the plasti dip again and paint it again but this time gently :aha:

I am surprised that this thread still has new posts on it since I haven't been here in almost a year.

the cans use a higher amount of curing agents so the conditions outside really effect the final outcome. its why even in the summer putting the cans in hot water before use can help make the texture smoother since it doesn't clump up as much in the nozzle. its also the most common reason people get tiger stripping. the wind is the other main reason.

an of the shops that do it use an actual spray gun or the paint sprayer.

I have seen both used and the paint sprayer actually works better as there is less chance of the nozzle clogging.

after having it for a year though I can say that it isn't all its cracked up to be if your going to work on or drive the car everyday. sure the black obviously hides dirt better but I have to scrub my car almost everytime I drive it.

I think once the car is done and justused for the track I will be repainting it with actual paint and never look back to this $300 fad

Can someone give me advice please. I need to plastidip my whole car. I don't have the gun and if I take my time and go in small sections using rattle cans will it still be good outcome?

If you use rattle cans just do like you said - make sure to do even coats, one body piece at a time. If you aren't using any sort of tip, your finger(s) are very likely to get tired and you'll end up rushing, than it will come out looking like the original post.

I took the time when I did my bumper, and it's still holding up even after a few driveway scrapes... but IMO the entire body should really be done with a professional gun, in a professional manner.
This stuff can really come out good when it is applied in a way you would paint your car.

Wouldn't let me show the pic, but that blue looks amazing.

Last edited:
In my use of plastidip, much like with normal automotive painting, prep is the hardest part. did you make sure your surface is cleaned. temperature plays a roll as well. and finally when spraying large areas use the sprayer kit

WOW that looks awesome. Not to tread jack but how has the Dip heald up for you guys ? Seriously interested in going this route for my talon

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back