The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

My machinist

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ughhhhh!!!!!! Please tell me what they did to cause this????
The caps F-ed up too...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ughhhhh!!!!!! Please tell me what they did to cause this????
The caps F-ed up too...

Looks like they scuffed up when using the valve spring compressor.

I dont recall this either when i was porting to match my flange. Is that cracked or just a casting issue?

That's a good question. I also see in that last picture that they forgot to install new galley plug in the end of the head. Also the metal shavings are somewhat normal for a head fresh from a machine shop. That is a little excessive, but most of the time you will get a little which requires a final cleaning. As for the marks inside the runners that is normal and is part of the casting.

Just spoke with them on phone. "It's no different than we received it." He hasn't even seen it... Tomorrow maybe interesting. See why I had motor anxiety? Haha

If its from installing springs why is it messed up out here? This is the front.

If the head was shaved, they may have used the cam bores to level the head in the machine.

Looks like tick marks from the bit moving too quick into the bore... But they are in a weird spot and too low in reference to the bore itself. I wonder if the chuck was loose... Or like stated above, and the spindle was loose or rough. I have no idea what would cause that though, honestly. Those are some seriously strange marks. As long as they are smooth though, I wouldn't think they'd cause major problems... Provided they are below the journal surface.

Dropped it off. He denied it saying it wasn't him. Said its like that from factory... then he told me its good. Then said it's not. Call me saying we have a problem. This is what will happen. This is what it cost. Then I showed him the metal flake. Oh I missed that... you missed this too...

I'm wondering if honing out journals will cause issues with valve train and timing.

I might take it to another shop to have them 1 over everything. I think it would be worth the money compared to what I have in the motor. Close to 3k.

Tell him that is most certainly isn't like that from the factory, and was most certainly not like that when you gave it to him. 2 identical marks on 2 different cam bores would indicate that something was done by them at the machine shop. Regardless to what caused it they are in the wrong for not catching that before giving it back to you. Your best bet with that would be to take a small round file and file it down than take some 1000 grit sand paper and smoothing it out. From there take some 2000 and polish it up. You also want to ask him why the hell he didn't reinstall the oil galley plugs back into the head. Sounds like this guy is good as half assing stuff.

Ya. I laughed at him when he said that. He said let me show you another mistu head. Told him I already have one and looked. I showed him a spot in the center of journal. I said is that good? Oh well no... It almost looks like he put something in to pry pop the caps. Id really like to know how it happend. Found another guy on a supra forum with the same thing. Took it in for a valve seat grind. Said he couldn't remember if it was like that when he dropped it off though.

Its getting align honed. Should be done Monday. I might tell them i want a free cam degree too. How do you guys think the valve train will be affected? I took out the plugs. I'll be the one putting them in.

Good eye though. My friend had that happen from a head vender here.

Well they did pull the oil galley plugs to clean it so thats good. Forgetting the plug is not, but dose happen.

The marks on the cam jorunals is not good, and looks like pry marks to get the caps off. since it is not on the journal face but the edge it is a simple fix. Some wet dry 800-1000 grit wrapped around a socket held at a 45* would clean it up at home and cause no issue.

If they are going to align hone it, have them pull it fully apart and install anotherr new set of seals, no way you will wash all that fine alum out of the valve train.

Well they did pull the oil galley plugs to clean it so thats good. Forgetting the plug is not, but dose happen.

The marks on the cam jorunals is not good, and looks like pry marks to get the caps off. since it is not on the journal face but the edge it is a simple fix. Some wet dry 800-1000 grit wrapped around a socket held at a 45* would clean it up at home and cause no issue.

If they are going to align hone it, have them pull it fully apart and install anotherr new set of seals, no way you will wash all that fine alum out of the valve train.

It needs honed because some marks are in center of journal. Yes! I hope they are taking it apart... I think i am taking the block back and getting new caps. It's no what I asked for.

From the pic of the block, looks like the caps had to be cut, just notching the handles would not work due to how long the counter weights on the crank.

look at cyl 4 in the pic, looks like the counter weight extends about a quater inch past the top of the main cap handle.

It needs honed because some marks are in center of journal. Yes! I hope they are taking it apart... I think i am taking the block back and getting new caps. It's no what I asked for.

The block will have to be line bored also if you are installing new caps on it.

From the pic of the block, looks like the caps had to be cut, just notching the handles would not work due to how long the counter weights on the crank.

look at cyl 4 in the pic, looks like the counter weight extends about a quater inch past the top of the main cap handle.

Would you say it's ok to run it? I've never seen them removed.

I can not recall seing them removed either.... You may want to go poke around in stroker tech and some build journals tho if you have not already.

But honestly, from the pics, I do not see another way around it, unless you cut the counter weights, but then would the rod throws clear the main cap handles??

I've never seen or built a stroker that required the handles be completely removed, but I agree with Bogus, looking at those pictures, it looks like there wasn't any way around it - what kind of crank is that?
Can you take a picture of it from the side with the counterweight completely vertical where interference with the handles would be?

Ok, so the first picture was just an optical illusion. There was no reason to cut the caps apart like that. Grinding the center of the handle to give the rod bolts .100" clearance would've been plenty. I don't think it'l hurt to run it like it is, especially with the girdle, but I wouldn't take anything else to this guy. Doesn't look like he knows what he's doing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back