The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

My ebay project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so is there an ebay turbo that is similar to the 3052 or bigger?

Another update. My car has been blowing smoke for awhile. At first I thought it was coolant but now I think it is the oil seals on the turbo. Hard to tell untill I take it apart. But it still boosts fine. I got on it a few times and wow it pulled hard. It snowed alittle today in south missouri but the weather for the rest of the week should be good so I will let you guys know how it turns out. Global warming my ass.

I took the intake off today and the turbo had oil on the lip. I am runnig 4an line with no restrictor and I think that is the problem. When the oil pressure gets low(hot oil) the smoke goes away. I am going to try a restrictor and see if it helps.

Do you have a catch can on the valve cover breather? Oil could be coming from there.

Just and update from me, i got ride of the big turbo i was running and went with the same set up as selmerguy... My manifold cracked and i had it rewelded and my turbo was also like smoking but still pulled hard. I was running 20psi and the turbo developed some shaft play. I turned the boost up to 25 one day and that was it. The wheel hit the side and broke off some fins on the turbo..Turbo had about 5K on it.

I am going to try a rebuild kit on the turbo. I know it is probably not worth it but I have never rebuilt one and it should be some good experiance. I will get to it next weekend. But here is this weekends project:

Attachments

• Picture 034-400.jpg
    Picture 034-400.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 787
  • Picture 035-400.jpg
    Picture 035-400.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 790
I once bought a HRC S16G for about $300. When I got it the thing had some shaft play the fins were bent. I tried to get my money back, but the thing took so long to get to Germany, that it had past the paypal moneyback garauntee eligiblity. So I had a turbo that I couldn't use and I was out $300+. I used the turbo to learn how they work. I tore it down to the core. It was intresting. The inside of the core was caked with oil so that told me the car was not properly cooled (turbo timed). And there was scoring on propellor shaft. I figured he either overboosted or had sever boost leaks and the turbo had to spin faster to make a lesser amount of boost. Either way it was fun to tear it apart.

so did the ebay manifold ever crack?

is your downpipe bolted to the block?

The ebay manifold never cracked and the downpipe was not bolted to the block. I did however just finish putting on my 14b. It was a PITA to remake those water lines but now I can block them with 1/8npt plugs whenever I go to a oil only turbo. I have a few boost leaks to fix but it dosent smoke anymore. I wont do to much more to the car untill I get my family moved and done with my deployment to Iraq. I leave in January so 15 months after that look out.

The ebay manifold never cracked and the downpipe was not bolted to the block. I did however just finish putting on my 14b. It was a PITA to remake those water lines but now I can block them with 1/8npt plugs whenever I go to a oil only turbo. I have a few boost leaks to fix but it dosent smoke anymore. I wont do to much more to the car untill I get my family moved and done with my deployment to Iraq. I leave in January so 15 months after that look out.

Also, what turbine housing were you using with the manifold... the four bolt or five bolt discharge?

EDIT: I just noticed you were using a 5 bolt discharge. I need to know if the 4 bolt will work!

Hey people the ebay project is back. I just got my car running after a few months of being down due to t timing belt breaking. It broke on the middle of a 1000 mile trip to virginia. I am going to iraq and I need to have the car running before I leave latter this month. I figured I would buy a cheap turbo from ebay again so I coule get the car put back toeather. Cant upload pics right now for some reason. Car runs very strong but is hating timing right now.

$100 for a whole timing belt kit from e-bay? Those are catastrophes. I hope you went genuine mitsu this time or else you will likely be doing another head in the next year or two.

I am going to Iraq this month for well over a year. I did get a oem belt this month though. My car will not be driven so it might last alittle longer.

What psi were you pushing the t3/t4 to? Was it a 60trim? Did you ever get around to taking it apart to look at the seals. I was interested in that turbo because i saw people were having success with the ebay big 16g. Man i cant wait to get another gsx febuary, you'll be gone by then though probably havin fun in the sunROFL

Right now I am running alittle over 20 psi on it. It is a 57 trim wheel. It pulls hard to red line. I have a boost leak at a coupler but it still feels fast. Still have more tuning to do. You are more than welcome to come by the house. Pm me and I will give you directions.

I am doing this because I believe paying 1000 dollars for a simple thing like a turbo is crazy. I know alot of people dont feel this way but a turbo is a simple device.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(thinks to himself: so THIS is why i stopped posting in these sections)

take a class in fluid dynamics and come back

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(thinks to himself: so THIS is why i stopped posting in these sections)

take a class in fluid dynamics and come back

Your right I see why you stopped posting in this section too. You don't seem to give any useful information and take things out of context :rolleyes:

I think his point was that material wise not function wise a turbo is a simple device ie: a shaft two blades and twio covers exhaust and compressor. While I agree to a point that paying 1000 for a turbo is crazy I think putting a turbo that cost 100 is just as crazy and I wqould rather take the high rode and get peice of mind with something as important as the turbo even though I'm a ebay whore but this isn't my thread and so I don't belittle anyones builds :shhh:

I got some pics of the setup now. If have been DD with this for 2 weeks with no problems. I am running 22 psi with 20 degrees of timing at 7200 rpm. No knock and it pulls hard. I just did a few pulls with a 55 shot and got it tuned to 18 degrees of timing with 2 counts of knock. I need to tune alittle more for this but it works good for now. I only have a few weeks untill I ship out for Iraq. I am hearing a knocking sound every once in awhile from the tranny. I think the transfer case is going. We will see. I am beating the tar out of it.

Attachments

• P1000029.JPG
    P1000029.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 641
  • P1000030.JPG
    P1000030.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 659
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back