The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

My ebay project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selmerguy

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2004
Killeen, Texas
Well this is my second ebay project. My first was a 2gnt that I boosted. It went very well. I ran a XS power t3. After a year and the fact that a 700 dollar TSI AWD fell into my lap it is time to go again. The XS power t3 boosted great and still has no shaft play. I went with the 50 trim this time and we will have to see how it goes. I know alot of people stay away from these Ebay parts because of a few bad posts. Mostly mani's and a few turbos. I am doing this because I believe paying 1000 dollars for a simple thing like a turbo is crazy. I know alot of people dont feel this way but a turbo is a simple device. Here are some pics of the setup and a side by side of a t3 that is alittle bigger than a 14b and this 50 trim.

Attachments

• Picture 011 (Small).jpg
    Picture 011 (Small).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3,618
  • Picture 012 (Small).jpg
    Picture 012 (Small).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,626
  • Picture 013 (Small).jpg
    Picture 013 (Small).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 3,620
Here are some pics of it put togeather.

Attachments

• Picture 014 (Small).jpg
    Picture 014 (Small).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3,607
  • Picture 015 (Small).jpg
    Picture 015 (Small).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 3,596
  • Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,594
A turbo maybe a simple device, but it takes a lot of precision to work properly. To have the material withstand 1500+ EGT temps, and spin 100,000+ rpm and not break down within a certain period of time. Choosing compressor maps, and balancing also.

It takes the brains, equipment, and labor to get a properly running turbo. So ya they can run expensive. Good luck on your purchase. My buddy has the same one in his integra, he seems to be very pleased.

Jon

Turbo, wastegate, manifold are all ebay cheap'e parts? How much are you into the setup?

420ish That is on the high side.
I have ran into some problems though. The wastegate flange sticks out to far. The wastegate wont clear the P/S pump. I am going to section it tomorrow and make it half as long. Also I bought a used 5 bolt DP. The flange fits fine but I had to buy a tiny oil filter. I might relocate the filter later. ALso I need to get rid of the water oil cooler. I have a buddie that might have a 90 setup.

I'd love to have you keep this thread updated. I like quality, but also like saving a buck (or several hundred). If yours proves solid I may have to follow when it comes time to upgrade.

420ish That is on the high side.
I have ran into some problems though. The wastegate flange sticks out to far. The wastegate wont clear the P/S pump. I am going to section it tomorrow and make it half as long. Also I bought a used 5 bolt DP. The flange fits fine but I had to buy a tiny oil filter. I might relocate the filter later. ALso I need to get rid of the water oil cooler. I have a buddie that might have a 90 setup.

looks like you will be spending your money in other places modifying the thing to make it work right. i would still like to see how this project turns out tho...

Eventually if you get time, a Dyno sheet would be the best review we could get of these products... wich seem good so far, so best of lucks on your purchase and please keep us posted!

regards,

looks like you will be spending your money in other places modifying the thing to make it work right. i would still like to see how this project turns out tho...

I shouldn't spend too much more. I have access to a welder for free and I have a nice saw for the pipe.

Here are some mock up pics. Please ignore the oil drain. I have the turbo loose so I can find the right clock angle. IF I point the turbo down my hot pipe wont clear the motor mount. Also I had to section the wastegate flange to make it fit. I got it as close to the mani as possable and it fits. I dont think I could sticl a feeler gauge between the top of the wastegate and the PS pump though. I am not sure if this will hurt the pump, only time will tell.

Attachments

• Picture 018 (Small).jpg
    Picture 018 (Small).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 3,435
  • Picture 017 (Small).jpg
    Picture 017 (Small).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,437
I also have the basic same setup. T3/T4 57 trim from an ebay company with a one year warranty. Stainless steel manifold and xs power wastegate. So far so good. No signs of any trouble with the turbo. Good luck with yours. Travis

I got the pipe to clear the motor mount. Here are a few more mock up pics. I have the downpipe attatched too. All that is left is alittle messing with the LICP and fabrication of the oilline then I will put this bad boy on for good.

Attachments

• Picture 001 (Small).jpg
    Picture 001 (Small).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3,394
  • Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3,409
  • Picture 003 (Small).jpg
    Picture 003 (Small).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3,361
I got the pipe to clear the motor mount. Here are a few more mock up pics. I have the downpipe attatched too. All that is left is alittle messing with the LICP and fabrication of the oilline then I will put this bad boy on for good.

Kinky air filter you got there...

Just to let you guys know I should start up the car today. I have very little left to do. It is like 35 outside right now so work is slow and I am cold but determined.

I thought about doing that same setup but after I bought the wastegate, turbo, custom o2 housing, t3 manifold, and took the time to make it fit (### it wont the first time) I thought I would be about the same price just to buy a 60-1 with the mitsu housing and internal gate.
This turbo will replace my current ebay setup.

The waste gate on my evo 3 falls out of the housing and doesnt spool. Also my manifold broke completely off. Now I have a ported 2g mani, an soon to be here scm 60-1.

But on a side note ebay also offers the 57 trim in an internal gate. Something to look at. I just dont like the ebay tubular manifolds. I have seen 3 break. Including mine. I do like my fmic though!

I got it driveable today. I need to put my fan back on and make my dump tube. I am getting ready for the ice storm so testing it anymore than around the block will have toi wait for awhile. But I did take it for a spin..... And spin it did. I hit 15psi at 4000 and the tires spun to the redline. I have a very soft spring in the wastegate so with vac direct to my wastegate I only get 7 psi with no spike!!!! I have a custom dual stage and right now it looks like the high is 15psi. The first time it hit it the rpms went by so much faster then with the 14b I almost bounced off the rev limiter.

Heres some pics of the almost finished product. My only complaint (besides the weather) is that I have a tiny leak in my exhaust housing to DP flange.

Attachments

• Picture 004 (Small).jpg
    Picture 004 (Small).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,201
  • Picture 005 (Small).jpg
    Picture 005 (Small).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3,180
  • Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3,043
Sorry for bumping my post but I was just reading through it and I did not have to get rid of the water oil cooler. Also total price is 390. That does not include the oil change or new coolant. It was allready worht it to drive it and spin all 4 tires.

Nice setup you put together. By the way, were did you put the fan? And how is it mounted?
Just asking because I need to do the same for my setup.
thanks for the help and good luck.

Nice setup you put together. By the way, were did you put the fan? And how is it mounted?
Just asking because I need to do the same for my setup.
thanks for the help and good luck.

I have one 16 inch slim fan. I bought it on ebay for 36 shipped. It goes where the stocker went. I had to remove it to work and it is way to cold outside to put it in now. Kinda a PITA.

The new ssautochrome turbos seem to be holding up pretty well. My ssautochrome T4/T70 has been put throuh hell (it withstood 30+psi) and surprisingly its still holding up. I'm running a 4an oil line from the oil filter housing with no restrictor, no balance shafts, and the turbo still doesn't smoke. Only paid 350.00 for it and its capable of 700whp, pretty good deal in my opinion. Selmer guy, whats the specs on your t3/t4? spool time? I'm thinking about buying an ssautochrome t3/t4 setup for my daily driver (GVR4).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back