The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Megasquirt ECU, hmmm...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobythevan said:
As a point of reference I have the v2.2 installed. I drive the car to work every day, have put a little over 10k miles so far since MS install. Everything has been stable.

Every install can be different so you may have some problem with the v2.2 board. I built a converter harness about 10" long that went from the DB37 to the original Talon ECU connector. I used an old ECU and unsoldered the connector. So I didn't do a new wiring harness. Just info about my setup so maybe it helps you isolate what your problem may be.
Thanks. My car was running fine for the longest time and then it started missing. The coolant temp sensor goes crazy when I give it gas so it could be a problem with that. But I think its a combo of things. After running some more pump gas through it, it was running better. Maybe the o2 sensor has seen better days. Either way we are building a completely new engine wiring harness for the car built around the m.s. (can you say wire tuck) :) If I have a problem next time the car runs I will buy another m.s. unit and give that a shot.

If anyone can help me out set up my Megasquirt system using Megatune, please PM me. I've PM'ed a few people who seem to be knowledgeable but i haven't gotten any replies. I just need help in a few areas that i really don't understand. Thanks.

Bring this thread back to say hey and put some new things out their.

Sequential CoP can be done but the DSM CAS doesn't have enough trigger points to run it without still using wasted spark. The MSIIextra has had it's first release, but doesn't support the 4/2 DSM CAS yet, but the code is in development and should be out in a alpha release within the week or so. The MSII has stepper motor IAC control so you could use your stock IAC to control idle. MSIIextra is major news. More injector resolution to handle larger injectors, although the extra code isn't using full advantage of it yet but it's a work in progress.

I'm currently building a MSII for a buddies 2G and will be putting up some video's of it in this thread once it's running with hopefully some help that people might need for the MSII. I still don't know all the in's and out's for the install but if you can install a 7.1 home theater then you should be able to install a MSII. And It's always better if you can build a harness connector to make it more PnP, but the downside is you have to take the connector from a ECU. EEC-V guys have it easy as they are all the same pin out and their is a nice adapter they can build for about $25 I think it is to make a MSnS PnP.

wishihadatalon did you ever get yours figured out. I didn't kept up with the thread but it looks like ignition noise crossing over into CLT which would totally make it run rough and very bad. Once you see a DSM with big cams running a MSnS you would be amazed at how well it idles.

I think it was a combo of a few things. My coolant temp was all over the place when I gave it any throttle. I am talking like 400 degrees (which was a false reading or I somehow got lucky LOL Xtreme said he found a post on msefi about some flaws in the code causing problems just like mine. We are just going to build a new wiring harness for the car, run msII, and pray for the best. Everything will be different so if that problem comes back then we did something way wrong :)

You think it will be a problem controlling 1600cc injectors with msII? Also for the idle I will be running a 75mm mustang tb with the ford iac valve so that should be nice :)

I just bench tested the MS2 Extra code(alpha released today), and it's not right yet.. No consistant rpm signal, and no spark outputs....

BTW, you can run COP with 4 spark outputs with MS1 Extra, but you have to run the Extra code configuration a bit differently(config for "dual dizzy"), and you may have to use a CAS with 4 outer windows, and only 1 inner window. You can mod the Mitsu CAS to do this, or find a newer Miata CAS, 99+ i believe..OR, you can run wasted spark COP, you just wire up each spark output to run 2 individual coils. That has been done already, and really, i dont see the wasted spark COP at much of any disadvantage over true COP. I suppose if you wanted independant timing for each cylinder it would matter, but MS cant do that yet..

TJ, i think your misfire/stumble problem is with either the coolant sensor or the wiring(prob the DB-37 pin connection). A quick jump in coolant temp, esp that severe, will def cause an issue. It's not a code problem..The standard MS1 Extra code works perfectly as far as i know.

which yr and car are you guys getting your gm coolant tem sensor from? Also does any one have any install pics are write ups you made? I seen the one from the site that sells the mega squirt but I am looking for to look over, I like as much info as I can get LOL.

which yr and car are you guys getting your gm coolant tem sensor from? Also does any one have any install pics are write ups you made? I seen the one from the site that sells the mega squirt but I am looking for to look over, I like as much info as I can get LOL.

http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=19264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 No pics but pretty straight forward. This was done on my 91 tsi. :thumb:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/sensors-c-36.html and you can buy the sensors there.
Or
Coolant temp sensor.

GM #12146312
(may have been replaced by #15326386)
Standard TX3
GP SORENSEN TSU81
AC DELCO 213-928
NIEHOFF DR134AK
WELLS SU109 MSD 2310 (includes connector)

Intake air temp sensor

GM #25036751
Standard AX1
GP SORENSEN 779-19001
AC DELCO 213-190
NIEHOFF IGNITION TS83631 was DR-136W
WELLS SU107 MSD 2320 (includes connector)

For the new Alpha code to work properly you have to either remove the opto circuit and run but input triggers with a pull up or build another opto circuit. Reason being that the opto circuit reverses the input from falling to rising or vise versa. And the 2nd trigger input is just using a 1K pull up resister. I'm hoping for the ability to configure both inputs independently as in one can be triggered on falling and other on rising so no major hardware changes would need to be done to the MS unit.

With the ability to trigger on both falling and rising would allow for sequential COP with the stock CAS with some work on a O-Scope. Running sequential firing would give the coils more time to build up the charge and deliver a hotter spark in the upper RPM band meaning you wouldn't have to run a narrow gap on your plugs. At 8500 RPMs and 35 PSI I was running a .025" gap on my plugs. Looking forward to going with the CNP LS1 coil packs soon and running sequential ignition with a bigger gap for improved combustion.

For the new Alpha code to work properly you have to either remove the opto circuit and run but input triggers with a pull up or build another opto circuit. Reason being that the opto circuit reverses the input from falling to rising or vise versa. And the 2nd trigger input is just using a 1K pull up resister. I'm hoping for the ability to configure both inputs independently as in one can be triggered on falling and other on rising so no major hardware changes would need to be done to the MS unit.

Check out my reply on MS forum(i'm md95). We dont need to ditch the opto's. Configure the main tach input opto for the "neon/420A" mods, and it will invert the trigger signal so both crank and cam signals from the CAS go low upon a window trigger event...Wire 2nd trigger with just a 470 ohm pullup, a 1k protection resistor is already in place on the MS2 card for the 2nd trigger input. As of now, it's not selectable to run both rising and falling edges. James would have to re-write the code in order to do that, and unless there is a great demand for it, it prob wont happen anytime soon...Supposedly the code can do COP now, but i'm not sure if thats sequencial COP or wasted spark COP. Even if it only does wasted spark COP, it's still going to be much better spark since you have one coil firing one cylinder instead of one coil firing 2 cylinders..Of course you still have the disadvantage of charge time, but still, charging one smaller coil instead of one larger coil should help. Larger coils take more time to charge..

BTW for anyone else interested, the new Megasquirt 2 code now works with the DSM CAS. I bench tested it, and everything looked good! It needs some real world on car testing yet, but its safe to run the engine at the moment.

Hey. Thanks for the advise on the MSI forums. I did the neon opto mod and just ran a 5v to JS10 w/o a resister as you suggested. I'm getting ready to make a 12v PSU for the stim and get my CAS and see how it works. Running in EDIS with just the main opto I was getting some strange behavior above 6K, but that could be because of stim voltage. With a cheapy new 9v I was only seeing 6.1v in MT and when I went to the extra code TPS wasn't showing in the real time display. I'm going to try and sort this out today. I should have this project car running in about 3-4 weeks. Almost all the new parts are in and we have a 1G parts car to dismantle before the 2G comes to life.

Just an update for those inerested- I've in-car tested the new MS2 Extra code for the mitsu CAS, and it runs good! I just setup the MS2 temporarily to run the ignition off the CAS, and it runs like stock. Need to get the wideband before running it on MS fuel control. Also, this is supposed to be able to do true, sequecial COP setup using 4 spark outputs from the MS. A quote from the man, James himself(he wrote the CAS wheel code)-

"Yes, if you enable "COP" then it should do real COP on four spark outputs. "

It needs to be fully tested yet, i think i can do that though...So there ya go, true COP, and E85 flexfuel sensor support! :sneaky:

If you check out this thread, i've also added some setup documentation, and all the schematic diagrams for modding the MS boards to run the 4g63 CAS on Megasquirt 2 Extra-
http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=24097&start=80

Excellent! I have been waiting for this. I will be trying this on my next project as well. Of course, I have to finish my current two, first...

Yes, this is pretty awsome indeed! For those going to the DSM shootout this year, you will see the MS2 in action on my Laser running in the stock apearing class. If I can muster up the parts and time, maybe i'll try the COP setup..:cool:

I'm looking forward to that. Being able to run 4 independant coils sequential without the stock CAS. I didn't think it would be possible due to the design of the cas it's self. I'm not to sure where it would get TDC to know which coil it needs to fire. I do know one of the crank slots is longer than the other. (inner ring) Well guess time and testing will tell.

I'm looking forward to that. Being able to run 4 independant coils sequential without the stock CAS. I didn't think it would be possible due to the design of the cas it's self. I'm not to sure where it would get TDC to know which coil it needs to fire. I do know one of the crank slots is longer than the other. (inner ring) Well guess time and testing will tell.

The way James wrote the code, he used both rising and falling edges of each slot for TDC and firing information. I'm not really code savy, but i think the code uses the larger inner slot to reference the outer slots and TDC/cylinder firing order. MS1 Extra could use the CAS and COP as well, but that code needed only 1 inner "reset" slot, so some just covered up one of the inner slots. I think this new code works in somewhat the same fashion, it uses the inner slots to figure out what cylinder is where, then uses the outer 4 slots as ignition triggers for each cylinder.

Yep makes sense. Just cover up one inner slot. I couldn't think how you could do it with the CAS as is. Even on MSII would still require you to cover up a slot. In wasted spark I can understand having 2 inner slots to speed up igntion at cranking.

Yep makes sense. Just cover up one inner slot. I couldn't think how you could do it with the CAS as is. Even on MSII would still require you to cover up a slot. In wasted spark I can understand having 2 inner slots to speed up igntion at cranking.

No, with MS2 Extra, you dont have to do anything to the CAS slots when you want COP. James has coded it that way so it works like it is for COP. Not sure how he did it, but maybe he wrote the code so that it ignores one of the inner slots. The exact size and time one of both inner slots is coded, so it would be easy to write code that can ignore a slot. This is just my speculation though..

Well I don't plan on running sequential COP for some time unless I start having issues at 10K RPM.

I got my kit from diyautotune. What a great vendor. Quick shipping is an understatement. I had a tracking number 30 minutes after I placed my order.

I have assembled the ECU, and tested it with the stim. Everything seems to be working.

I am going to start the car (91 Talon AWD) on the stock ECU first, and switch over to the megasquirt once I know the car is working correctly.

I was wondering if anyone had a stock DSM MSQ file for a MS1 running spark and fuel?

Just an update for those inerested- I've in-car tested the new MS2 Extra code for the mitsu CAS, and it runs good! I just setup the MS2 temporarily to run the ignition off the CAS, and it runs like stock. Need to get the wideband before running it on MS fuel control. Also, this is supposed to be able to do true, sequecial COP setup using 4 spark outputs from the MS. A quote from the man, James himself(he wrote the CAS wheel code)-

"Yes, if you enable "COP" then it should do real COP on four spark outputs. "

It needs to be fully tested yet, i think i can do that though...So there ya go, true COP, and E85 flexfuel sensor support! :sneaky:

If you check out this thread, i've also added some setup documentation, and all the schematic diagrams for modding the MS boards to run the 4g63 CAS on Megasquirt 2 Extra-
http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=24097&start=80

ok i am ready to do this now then. I need a run down of price and parts. Also is their a way to not cut into the factory harness to set this up so if i want to go to something else later or sell the car i can put it back to stock with out have a bunch of electrical problems.

You can just splice the MS harness into the factory harness. You could also steal a header (connector) from a bad ECU and build your own adapter.

I was thinking of doing something like the later for testing purposes. But then I saw the break out board and I just decided to go ahead and get it. I get everything from DIYautotune. Great vendor. You can call them and they will custom build you a MS for your application. He is familiar with the DSM. They just released a PNPMS for the miata which uses an almost identical CAS to the DSM. Tell them it's for a DSM as they are kepting track of how many they are getting to see if it would be wise to make a PNPMS for the DSM.

Look to spend around $800 for everything. That is a LC1 WBO2, CLT and AIT sensors, 4 Bar MAP daddy, Stimulator if you build your own MS and even if you don't it's good to have, Of course the MSII kit, Pre Made DB37 pigtail (let them know you need a few more pins and wires for knock and fan if you want to use Fidle for something else), and I know their is something I'm forgetting but when it comes to me I'll post it. Oh yeah a KnocksenseMS so you can retain knock control if you desire.

You don't want to run without a WBO2. Just spend the money and get it. And be ready to do a lot of reading. Their is tons of knowledge to be learned over on the forums. Just dive in and have fun.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back