The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Megasquirt ECU, hmmm...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's a stand alone ecu, so you can have it do pretty much whatever you want. But the learning curve is very steep. But it also has wideband feedback where it'll adjust your fuel so you AFR is exactly what you set it to.

Well i've gone ahead and taken the plunge on the megasquirt 2. I've bought and assembled it. Gonna have it wired up in the car very shortly. I'm going to be running the megasquirt 2 extra firmware. I've already tested the crank and cam sensor in the car with the ms2, and it works great. I'll have a write up on it soon on how I installed it. Though the next time around, I'd get it pre assembled, as it took me almost 3 days to assemble it and test it.

Total cost for everything for me was almost $500. Includes cost of the megasquirt 2 v3.0 kit, jimstim simulator, wiring harness, and Intake Air Temp Sensor. I am using the stock coolant sensor and sharing it with the ecu.

It's a great alternative price wise for those of us without a EEPROM ECU.

Really? I don't see why unless it uses a different resistor value when it warms up. I just started up the car on fuel only with megasquirt, sharing the coolant temp sensor. I did remove the resistor going to the coolant temp sensor and adjusted the bias resistor value. Everything look good to me.

I did not know you already removed the stock resistor and adjusted your bias. I believe then it should be fine, I would still just double check but I think it should work.

I was able to successfully fire up the engine on fuel only last night. Sharing the coolant sensor does indeed work, and I do have it calibrated correctly. I'll be checking it against the stock ecu shortly in case i need to tweek the bias resistor setting a bit more to get it more exact.

I finally got my wideband bung and IAT bung installed last night. Fired it up with fuel & ignition controlled by the megasquirt. Using a the VE map and timing maps I downloaded the car starts and runs well enough for me to take it for a spin around the block. I think I need to recalibrate my LC-1 since my AFR readings were all whacked.

I finally got my wideband bung and IAT bung installed last night. Fired it up with fuel & ignition controlled by the megasquirt. Using a the VE map and timing maps I downloaded the car starts and runs well enough for me to take it for a spin around the block. I think I need to recalibrate my LC-1 since my AFR readings were all whacked.

Awesome to hear. It can only get better from here on :thumb:

Ive been reading about the megasquirt and im thinking bout getting one. but i have a few questions that ive not found yet. But im wanting to run it along with the factory ecu and just use it for fuel for now. But my question is will i be able to run it with out the mas since ill still be using the ecu for timing and ignition control. Or will i have to convert to just the megasquirt (speed density) to get rid of the mas. And i know i may find it but as of yet i havent seen anything about it.

Does the ds-map work with the 2g. I went to ds-map.net but it doesnt have anything for a 2g. But im also lookin at the measquirt for tuning also. But just for fuel for now so i dont have have my afc and maft to tune with. I can just hook up the laptop and tune it. But i wold also be interested in the ds-map if itll work on a 2g. But also i dont have an eprom ecu rite now either.

I apologize, I for some reason didn't realize you have a 97. As far as I know there is nobody with the code working in a 2g. However they have started to make some headway deciphering the eprom from a 2g so I'm sure it is just a matter of time.

Been gone for a while. I got a 97 talon w/HX35 running on MSIIextra. It is a buddies car. I retapped the t-stat housing to use the GM CLT so I wouldn't have to fuss with finding the values of the stock CLT. Used everything else from the old harness and used a knock sense for knock output to the MS. Also using a LC-1 for WB02. For cruise I had set the cruise range to around 15.7:1 for AFR and the car went on a 200 mile trip. It managed to get 28.5 MPG. Around town driving is still a tad rich but I was hurried and had to tune the car in only a couple of hours. Was able to get the Stock IAC to work on my Jimstim but it didn't work right in the car. It did work for about an hour but then it burned up a coil. I would suggest that you use a 91+ tb and just delet the FAIV and IAC. Then use a dodge PWM IAC in a small housing available from DIYautotune for idle control.

Once you get the timing offset correct and timing accurate it's great and easy to tune. When I say easy I mean for those that already understand how to tune a car and not just move sliders. I'll post the finished MSQ running the 2.0 beta 6. If you wanted to use this as a starting point you would want to input everything manually and just upload the fuel and timing tables as vex tables. If you have already used MT you will understand what I'm talking about.

2GBeta6 MSQ Link.

This is using FIC 850cc Injectors and retaining the stock injector resister pack.

Ive been reading about the megasquirt and im thinking bout getting one. but i have a few questions that ive not found yet. But im wanting to run it along with the factory ecu and just use it for fuel for now. But my question is will i be able to run it with out the mas since ill still be using the ecu for timing and ignition control. Or will i have to convert to just the megasquirt (speed density) to get rid of the mas. And i know i may find it but as of yet i havent seen anything about it.
You can run the stock ecu in parallel with the megasquirt, and have it control fuel only. You'll need to keep the stock MAF in place along with the MAP sensor in the megasquirt. The megasquirt will be running speed density, while the stock ecu maintains the stock MAF.

I thought I would update, because Matt doesn't come on here much. Matt has been running the stock dsm iac motor with ms2 for a few weeks now with great success. He said there is a slight problem with warm restart, but he thinks that it might be a sticky old iac motor. But on cold start it fires right up, hold the idle he wants and gradually steps down as the car warms up.

I thought I would update, because Matt doesn't come on here much. Matt has been running the stock dsm iac motor with ms2 for a few weeks now with great success. He said there is a slight problem with warm restart, but he thinks that it might be a sticky old iac motor. But on cold start it fires right up, hold the idle he wants and gradually steps down as the car warms up.

Try dialing in some post start enrichment. I was having a hell of a time with the DSM IAC when i first put a stand alone to it, getting the right amount of "steps" and all that other crap right took a while, I was destroying them left and rigth for about 8 months. I was operating it to where it would try and close too hard and kept breaking the little "dome" that fills the air bypass hole when the IAC shuts. Once i got the IAC setup right though, there were still instances where it would do exactly what you're talking about. So, I set the post start enrichment to +13% and to last for one minute after a hot restart and it was fine after that. I've changed idle tuning strategies though and no longer have to do this. It took years of observation and testing to get the DSM's IAC to function perfectly everytime and to keep a near perfect idle at all times, but it can be done. Let us know how it works out if you try it.

I have the most trouble when trying to get a near perfect map for economy and emmisions while still being able to make good power. Not really trouble, just things being finicky at stoich AFR's around idle ranges. But when you're not worried about the first 2 (economy and emmisions) it's easy to get a good drivable and great idling car.

Try dialing in some post start enrichment. I was having a hell of a time with the DSM IAC when i first put a stand alone to it, getting the right amount of "steps" and all that other crap right took a while, I was destroying them left and rigth for about 8 months. I was operating it to where it would try and close too hard and kept breaking the little "dome" that fills the air bypass hole when the IAC shuts. Once i got the IAC setup right though, there were still instances where it would do exactly what you're talking about. So, I set the post start enrichment to +13% and to last for one minute after a hot restart and it was fine after that. I've changed idle tuning strategies though and no longer have to do this. It took years of observation and testing to get the DSM's IAC to function perfectly everytime and to keep a near perfect idle at all times, but it can be done. Let us know how it works out if you try it.

I have the most trouble when trying to get a near perfect map for economy and emmisions while still being able to make good power. Not really trouble, just things being finicky at stoich AFR's around idle ranges. But when you're not worried about the first 2 (economy and emmisions) it's easy to get a good drivable and great idling car.
Do you mean a little richer or leaner? Were you having a problem because of large injectors? Thanks for the tips :thumb:. I think I might tell him to watch how the ecu operates via a logger on my daily driver.

Do you mean a little richer or leaner? Were you having a problem because of large injectors? Thanks for the tips :thumb:. I think I might tell him to watch how the ecu operates via a logger on my daily driver.

Try going a little richer right after initial hot restart. Sorry if i was unclear. Best of luck to you! And watch and log EVERYTHING and study it. Then go back and study it some more :)

I think i drive my girl nuts with how much i'll sit and analyze logs then go back and look at the map then the log, then back to the map.. Then i start taking notes on teh log, map, ambient temps that day and so forth. LOL There's a lot to be learned from just watching how even a stock ECU operates and deals with various conditions, even if you're just looking at a log(or watching the data live on laptop), even something as simple as easing your way over a speed bump can have so much information packed into it and you can learn quite a bit. But i guess it all depends on how many things you can log, and how many samples per second rate you can log at. On my old OBD-II software i logged with when i had an AFC, i think i was limited to 8 or 10 frames per second, that would mean that i could watch 8 things once a second or watch 4 things twice a second. Not too great but i learned from it. THe stand alone gives me 180 frames per second.. Sometimes that gets overwhelming when looking for one particular miss or bucking problem at one point in even a 5 minute log because they get so long from it logging so much info in such a short amount of time.

Try going a little richer right after initial hot restart. Sorry if i was unclear. Best of luck to you! And watch and log EVERYTHING and study it. Then go back and study it some more :)

I think i drive my girl nuts with how much i'll sit and analyze logs then go back and look at the map then the log, then back to the map.. Then i start taking notes on teh log, map, ambient temps that day and so forth. LOL There's a lot to be learned from just watching how even a stock ECU operates and deals with various conditions, even if you're just looking at a log(or watching the data live on laptop), even something as simple as easing your way over a speed bump can have so much information packed into it and you can learn quite a bit. But i guess it all depends on how many things you can log, and how many samples per second rate you can log at. On my old OBD-II software i logged with when i had an AFC, i think i was limited to 8 or 10 frames per second, that would mean that i could watch 8 things once a second or watch 4 things twice a second. Not too great but i learned from it. THe stand alone gives me 180 frames per second.. Sometimes that gets overwhelming when looking for one particular miss or bucking problem at one point in even a 5 minute log because they get so long from it logging so much info in such a short amount of time.

Oh I understood richer on the hot start. I was talking for your economy and emissions tuning.

I will likely be watching a lot of logs in the summer. I have decided to switch my girlfriends car over to mega squirt and I want it to be a "normal" car as much as possible. So I will be taking a lot of time perfecting it and making sure everything works as designed.

So I finally got around to wiring in the MS1 to my 91 Talon. It's setup to run spark and fuel.

Just one problem, cyl 1 and 4 get spark, 2 and 3 do not.

I have a timing light hooked up to verify. The only strange thing is I get one flash of spark on that coil when I first hit the key. Maybe that's just the ecu turning on.

I am running the power for the MS off pin 102 on the ecu, but it seems to reset the MS when the key is turned. Just for an instant, and then come back on. I assume this is OK.

I followed all the directions on the diyautotune site, and I used this pdf http://www.megasquirtpr.com/manuals/How to MegaSquirt your 4G63 powered DSM.pdf

I'm using a diyautotune wire harness going all the way to the sensors in the engine bay, not spliced at the ecu. I had some trouble with the cas and PT wires in the stock harness to eliminate those problems.

The car will barely run on 2 cyl, so I know I'm close. Maybe just a setting?

Where should I start looking? I have the wrong stim for testing a 4g63 setup, I wish I knew about the JimStim when I ordered.

The MS loses power when you turn the key to what position? You shouldn't lose power when tapped into pin 102. Where are you grounding the MS?

Are you controlling spark through stock transistors, or directly?

These questions are probably best asked on the msextra.com forums, as they're more basic general stuff.

The MS loses power when you turn the key to what position? You shouldn't lose power when tapped into pin 102. Where are you grounding the MS?

Are you controlling spark through stock transistors, or directly?

These questions are probably best asked on the msextra.com forums, as they're more basic general stuff.

The battery.

Stock PT.

I'll look around over there, jut thought I would try my luck here first.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back