The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Megasquirt ECU, hmmm...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've just finished my 2nd MS now. I decided to use the P&H board which eliminated a ton of parts of my v3.0 board. Now I'm thinking I should have just got a v2.2 pcb as I'm not using anything other than the proto area of the v3.0 pcb which makes it better than the v2.2. I'm awaiting sequential injection and figured it would be more hassle free to remove the injector drivers from the MS. I've been waiting on the machine shop for week to finsh my machine work. I was already hopeing to be done tuning this car and it's still in pieces in my garage.

Matt have you recieved you WBO2 yet? If you are running hires code on the MSI I'm just wondering how much better the MSII will be. I know the timing is more accurate with the new wheel decoder which you saw with your timing light.

Oh yeah. Their is also Automatic Mixture Control which works off the target AFR table and changes the VE map. I'm not to sure how long you could run this as their are a certain number of times you are able to write to flash on chips. But you can do the same thing using MegaTune and the autotune feature. Just you have to burn to ECU before you turn power off to the MS or you will loose your changes.

If FEDEX doesnt screw up, I should be getting my wideband in this weekend, and hopefully finishing the fuel side of the MS2 install. I'll be able to get a decent tune on it, and I can then share my msq configuration file. This will be for a MS2 setup, so it wont help too many if you have a MS1 setup, as almost all the perameters are tuned differently than the MS1 except the VE and spark tables. My tune will be for OEM 450's, FMIC, and an 18G with 3" Exhaust. I should be able to get at least 15 psi boost on the injectors, so it should have a good tune to that kpa level..Timing map is very close to stock, but dialed in for 93 pump gas..Should be good enough for the "stock" setups to at least get a very good start anyway.

As for the MS1 "hi-res" code, it worked good on my RS-T 420a setup, BUT at present there are a few bugs in that code that doesnt work right..The biggest one is the larger than OEM map sensors(anything over the 2 bar), that warmup enrichments dont get enough enrichment, and the boost controller code wont work right either...You will have to stick with the regular release MS1 Extra code if you use the larger map sensors. They are not in any hurry to fix the bugs since MS2 Extra is getting all the time at the moment. With the way the MS2 Extra code is getting done, and features added rather quickly, i'd build a MS2 anyway..it's so much better than MS1. The newest alpha code has 16x16 VE tables, and the next alpha release will have the boost controller code in it as well..should be out in the next few weeks.

Alright, i've got the MS2 Extra code running fuel and spark now..Had a few rough running issues at first after restarts and data burns, which effected the injector timing and it would start running lean...After a very quick reply with some test code to try out from the man himself(james), it runs excellent! The test code is actually a "semi-sequencial" injector firing code. Basically, the code keeps sync with a tooth on the CAS wheel, to keep injector firing on that same tooth, every time, instead of a "random" tooth. I'm going to get my tuning dialed in a little bit more, then i can offer up a base msq file to share. Also, this file will include the latest code updates for 16x16 VE fuel table. It def takes more time and tuning, but i think it's worth it.

Alright, i've got the MS2 Extra code running fuel and spark now..Had a few rough running issues at first after restarts and data burns, which effected the injector timing and it would start running lean...After a very quick reply with some test code to try out from the man himself(james), it runs excellent! The test code is actually a "semi-sequencial" injector firing code. Basically, the code keeps sync with a tooth on the CAS wheel, to keep injector firing on that same tooth, every time, instead of a "random" tooth. I'm going to get my tuning dialed in a little bit more, then i can offer up a base msq file to share. Also, this file will include the latest code updates for 16x16 VE fuel table. It def takes more time and tuning, but i think it's worth it.

Went over and saw it last night. MS2 is the ish :) Lots of stuff I do not understand yet but I am getting there. :thumb:

From the sound on the MSextra forums I think this new injector code might get put into release. I think a lot of people will benefit from it. I never really thought it mattered that much but I guess wall wetting starts to really take effect and obviously causes some serious issues at low RPMs. Looking forward to finally getting mine installed.

Heh, this is cool...now there is talk of coming out with some fully sequencial injection code, with 4 injector outputs.. oh boy i'm getting excited! :rocks: The CAS wheel was designed to run fully sequencial injection on the 4g63, so this would work wonderfully!

well keep up the good work guys i am looking to get a house with a pole barn soon and then i will have more time to play.

I still want to do the E-85 and the MS setup.

Only a select few have a 4g63 running MS2 Extra at the moment, but mine is doing excellent. The car runs and idles just like stock. I still have a bit of warm cranking start tuning to do, but overall, i'm very, very pleased with how it runs. So far, i've manged a 13.7 @ 100 at 15psi boost on it, with a 1.8 60ft. I have about 5 track runs in on it, some several hour long highway trips, and daily driving. All is going great, no probs at all. This runs sooooo much better than MS1 Extra, i'd highly advise to go with the MS2 Extra setup if you can comprehend it, and spend the extra 90 bucks for the MS2 daughter card. Boost control has been added, so all you need to get it to control your boost pressure is a cheap 12 dollar GM boost solenoid, and a few electronic parts..The 16x16 fuel table is big, but its nice to have them if you need them(dont have to use all 16 bins if you want). Ignition timing is super accurate, and the injector PW precision is great as well. I can keep the AFR at idle and cruise within .2-.3 AFR.

I got the 97 talon 6 bolt running on MSIIextra now. Had a broken crank pulley which I just got today and going to replace that and time it then it's on to tuning. Thing runs like a dream. I'm unclear how to use the ISC as of yet but I'm going to work on it. I had to make some vacuum leaks to get it to stay idling. Only ran the motor now for about 10 minutes. I initially had a very bad ignition ground that was causing me heartache for a few hours. Ran so bad I didn't think it was ignition but something I had screwed up on installing the harness. Turned out it was the stock grounds. Now it fires right up and idles pretty decent and blipping the throttle shows great repsonse. This is very untuned and EGO was pulling about 40% fuel.

I plan to do some fixing today and start tuning. I have to go and do a few pulls on this new motor before I overshoot my break-in period for the rings. And the DSK 280 cams sound f'in sweet. :)

On a boosted engine, the VE doesnt stay the same at different boost levels. The turbo effectively changes the engine's VE with it's airflow and efficiency(at a basic level of description). I dont see how any program can "figure out" what the fuel needs are by referencing one set boost pressure's fuel demands. It may get it close, but not fine tuned by any means. I sure wouldnt trust software to figure out my tune for me, i want to tune it manually, at each certain boost pressure. It's not that hard really. I tune my VE table(the MS uses a VE table specifically to tune A/F vs pressure), at lets say 10 psi. Once i get that dialed in good, i can estimate what numbers to enter for lower and higher boost, to get it close(usually shoot for pretty rich A/F to be safe). After that, i'll set it for 15 psi, and fine tune it from there. It actually goes pretty quick if you know what you are doing, and i can dial in a boosted VE map within several hours. For the price for the entire MS setup, there's no comparison. Not as "flahsy" as an AEM or the like, but it's features and functionality are second to none for the price. I think being open source is the best feature yet, since there are some VERY inteligent guys writing the code that runs the MS, can write code to add usefull features, and can improve anything that is wrong or not right. If you want to go the Megasquirt route, just simply take the time to educate yourself about it, ask questions, ectc, and you will like it more and more. I'm greatful i stumbled upon the MS, i've learned so much from it..actually makes dianosis on any other fuel injected engine easier, since you really have the understanding of how it all works.

VE does stay relatively the same. Very slight variences, yes, But still so close to help aid in tuning the fuel map a lot quicker. Yes, you still have to fine tune, but Boost Compensation is a wonderful tuning tool.
http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,11494.0.html

Since my last post in this thread (sorry I don't browse the forums very often here) I ended up just saying to hell with it and bought an AEM EMS. Its in the car and running wonderfully. Best $ I've ever spent.

Anyways, sorry to disrupt the MS thread. Still a great option, not bashing MS at all. Was going to go that route, but with the Canadian $ being almost at par, It gave me the more incentive to shell out the extra $ for the AEM.

Cheers! :dsm:

dsmMack. Glad to hear you got the AEM. Their Boost comp table filling is just adding % fuel based on % MAP. That is way easy to do on your own or with a spreadsheet. The author of that post isn't right about quite a few things. VE on a turbo car is dynamic. On a N/A car it's not a static number but is going to be the same number for a given vacuum and RPM. When you force more air into the chamber you are raising the VE of the motor. When you start pushing enough boost to where the TH or TW is causing a large restriction the VE of the motor will plateau and usually upping the boost wont' change anything. After that it can start to go down as you get farther away from the torque peak.

I don't agree with his method of tunning. All he is doing it setting WOT AFR and then making the whole table that value and adjusting fuel % based on TPS. If the TPS fails then you have a pig rich car that probably will foul it's plugs before you make it home. It's still best to tune your fuel map. Now with their micsecbit whatever. That is just changing the resolution of the VE table. That was the best advise I saw him give. Will a tune like that work. Yes. But you can get much better fuel eccon and drivability by actually tuning your fuel table and not taking the easy out with quick shortcuts like that.

I am thinking about adding MS to my DSM. 92 6 bolt.

Could you guys set me up with some decent links to DSM related MS installs and just any information pertaining to DSM's and MS?

my friend posted above, as hes seen my 90 gsx is already a plug and play setup. i am using the stock ecu 'shell' with megasquirt inards and stock wiring harness. the car is still being built, should be done for next years season.

So I've been reading a bit and I wanted to check on a few things.

How is the MS2 setup doing running timing/ignition and fuel in the 4G63? Is there public software that'll run it reliably now?

Can you just buy a WB02 sensor without the translator and make it work? I'd love to save the $200 the translator or whatever it is costs. I can't see why a fully programable system couldn't do it but I don't know a thing about WBO2's or MS2.

Are there any big features you loose for a street car?

So I've been reading a bit and I wanted to check on a few things.

How is the MS2 setup doing running timing/ignition and fuel in the 4G63? Is there public software that'll run it reliably now?

Can you just buy a WB02 sensor without the translator and make it work? I'd love to save the $200 the translator or whatever it is costs. I can't see why a fully programable system couldn't do it but I don't know a thing about WBO2's or MS2.

Are there any big features you loose for a street car?

You will still need the wb02 translator, and Matt's car has been running since day one without any hickups

I've been reading up about the 4g63 installs with the megasquirt 2 extra (ms2extra), and am very excited. It looks like almost everything will work correctly, with minimal modifications and parts, with the exception of the stock Idle Air Controller. Does anybody have that working with the ms2extra yet?

I've also posted to the ms2extra forums.

Does the MS have the capability of running codes such as the lean burn code that raises your a/f ratio and retards timing a little bit, so you can get better gas mileage on the freeway?

That's one of the main points for me getting the Ostrich, improved gas mileage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back