The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

Aiite, couple things here. Defiant, much respect to you and your knowledge of DSMs, however I think there's a bit of confusion going on around here. Yes, synthetics do tend to expose holes by tearing through pre-existing deposits. But non-synthetics do have chemical properties that cause seals to "swell" and thus, sometimes provide a better seal. Synthetics do not have this characteristic.
Secondly, I've learned first-hand that the notion the original DSM lifters are the cause of the infamous ticking is due to poor design, is a myth. At least it was in my own experience. I went ahead and replaced my lifters that come stock with that tiny oil passage with the "revised" lifters with the much larger oil passage down the center. Although my ticking did decrease enough that I can no longer hear it from within the car, I can definitely hear the chatter when the hood is up. I've never run on synthetics or synthetic-blends by the way, I plan on researching blends soon.

I've seen a few cases where its not actually the lifters ticking but rather valve train noise from carbonization. Check it out on vfaq for a simple fix to it.

haha also make sure its not rod knock....

I noticed a tapping coming from the engine bay....near my t-belt....with rough shifting into 3rd when I step on it.......Of course I always start off with a fear of the worse.....but these are the only indications I have.....my rpms don't drop when I step on the clutch my clutch doest drop or move when doing left turns. My engagement is the same before it happened. and my crank sensor is in tact. if you are wondering, my car has 59k miles on it, and had a FULL belt replacement maybe 3k miles ago. do I just have lifter tick with some small kind of clutch/tranny issue......or could it be something so dreaded I won't even say it?

i think you are worring too much. its prob just lifter tick. does it go away ever? if so its prob lifters. so don't worry about it.

You don't say what year your car is, or even what it is... but I will assume that it is a 1G from the description.

If you don't wanna pay that much for lifters, I believe that stock 2G lifters have the larger oiling hole... Maybe you can find some somewhere cheaper?

--Scott

Has anyone used any sort of engine restore for their lifter tick?

Did it work? Did it not work?

What brand did you use?:talon:

Ive used Bardhal's oil treatment and it stopped the slight valve stem seal smoking I had every once in a while from idleing a long time. Probably helps lifter tick too, but I never heard much to start with.

i have tried it but it did nothing for me, i even tried the oil change and 1/2 quart of tranny fluid and that didn't even help me. I was told to try that seafoam stuff because it supposedly helps stuff like that but i didn't do that just pulled it apart and clean them, but it started up again. I blew the motor, so now i am ordering the lash adjusters for like 90$ for all 16. If you have the extra money i would get them instead. But if not try pulling them out and hand cleaning them, its well worth it i would say. Then after you clean them out let them soak again in that seafoam crap and i think that would do really good.

Good luck with this, hope my input helped you out!

Thanks furious eclipse, anyone else?

i tried the stuff in my non-DSM and it did nothing, from whats been going around here on the board and IMHO, nothing helps lifter/valve tick better than using a premium oil, i had a slight tick when i first got my car then i changed the oil to Amsoil 10w30 turbocharged formula and it is quiet as can be with the occasional air intake :D , but other than that it helped. So, like i said, concentrate on your oil and not your additives (4 1/2 Qts. of oil compared to 1/4 or 1/2 Qt. of additive) You decide which one makes more of a difference by volume :confused:

just as stated, how many of you guys/gals have lifter tick, and what do you do to try to settle it down? addatives, engine restorer's, etc.

Ideas, i'm sitting in my house right now warming up my car and I can hear my lifter tick from here....it's getting ridiculous!

lifter ticking is pretty normal dude my car does it ,they should sell some kind of oil passage cleaner,for the oil passages inside the head, so more oil can get there and stop the ticking,i think GUNK makes it its a little yellow bottle...

From what I understand it is pretty common for them to do it stright from the factory.

some ppl can swap over to moble 1 and it will stop. But the only real way to truely get over it forever is to get the revised lifters.

I do and it annoys the fvck outta me cuz everyone thinks my car is broke :mad:

When I did my timing belt and valves replacement, I follow every single step on the VFAQ on how to clean/stop the lifters from ticking, But none of that stop it... I'm Using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and there's has never been any improvement, now I guess I'm so used to it that I don't even bother no more, besides since It don't hurt nothing I just care less... you shouldn't worry that much trevor...

LOL, i get the same thing, everyone thinks my car is about to break down, cuz my damn car ticks ! It doesnt bother me, I was using mobile 1 synthetic, and that made it worse, cuz its to damn thin, so i switched to Castrol Syntec, and it doesnt do it as much, just on cold starts and at low oil psi, like when u have just turned it off and then came back and turn it on, ive tried usin thicker oil, like 5w-30, and it stopped it completely for the 1st 1,000 miles, then that shit came right back, so i kinda gave up on tryin to fix that shit, it dont bother me any more.

If your DSM dont tick, then there's somethin wrong with it, LOL :thumb: :dsm: :talon: :laser:

Asking someone if they have lifter tick on this website is like asking if anyone owns a DSM. Hell even Honda's have hydro lifters with the same problem.
Oh yeah, I have lifter tick too. :rolleyes:

I know lifter tick is normal, well, for a dsm....but today it was much worse then any other time, I don't know what was going on, but my car was smoking white smoke REALLY bad when it was doing it, and it only did it for like 10 minutes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back