The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Is my oil and coolant mixing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1998

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
,, Indiana
Okay so I took off my OFH bracket because I thought I had stripped my oil feed line. Turns out I didn't, I just couldn't get it out until I took the bracket off.

Anyway so I put the housing back and did not clean off all the old gasket I just put a new one on over it which left me with a huge leak, the pic is what I'm talking about.

So I took it off again cleaned all the old gasket off the housing and the block, put a thin layer of RTV on it and put it back together. After I started the car and realized the oil pressure switch was leaking a drop or two of oil every few mins or so at idle. So I tightened the switch down and cracked the housing. I know its 7ins/ft, I didn't have a torque wrench though so I said screw it its tight enough. Now its leaking really bad but i have a new OFH bracket coming Friday to replace the old bracket.

Also if the pic is of oil and coolant mixed, can my turbo be ruined even though I haven't driven the car yet?

My question is i feel that I may have overtightened the stud the connects to the oil filter and crushed the fins inside, so after I install the new bracket how can I be sure that my oil and coolant is not mixing? Should i just let the car idle a while and check the dip stick for the chocolate milk looking stuff? Or, is what is in the picture a sign of what coolant and oil look like when there mixed?

Not to confuse anyone, after I cleaned the old gasket off and put the new one on with RTV it no longer leaked like this, just the few drops of oil from the pressure switch.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What am I looking for, as far as color and what not? I understand i can drain the oil but if im unsure of what to look for then i cannot positively identify if its mixing or not.

Just drained my oil bc im changing out my OFH, can anyone tell if i can reuse the oil, or has it mixed with coolant? Haven't drove the car at all, just a few start ups and a total idle time of 45 min.

Attachments

• Aaron's Photos 013.jpg
    Aaron's Photos 013.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 95
Look in the pan that you're collecting the oil, for from the pictured stream, it looks okey. As mentioned, if the oil looks milky looking and not a nice clear amber color, then you need to find a solution to the problem before using the vehicle again.

Also, if the oil does look milky and cloudy looking, a new filter needs to go on also.

Good luck-DSM

:ohdamn: because, your a soldier, instead of poking fun, I will tell you the obvious NO. Oil is NOT meant to be re-used at least not this way. Would the mechs at the motor pool do it? No so you don't either.

Pay day lands on the 28th this month use some of it to treat your car right. We can't diagnose a thing from a monitor, so ask your battalions motor pool mechs nicely, if they can lend you a hand.

If I have white smoke, and it smells sweets its probably a leaking HG though right? Also it looks slightly clouded, I figured it could have been mixing in the stock sandwich plate thing between the filter and OFH so I'm just going to loop the water lines for now and cap them off on the stock sandwich plate thing and not run a oil cooler setup for the moment.I had called JNZ and they told me this would be fine for a temp fix while I save funds for a aftermarket oil cooler setup. Any thoughts?

miliman13,
Thanks bud, but i had already bought 5qts and wasted it didn't want to waste another 5qts if i didn't need to.

Are you loosing coolant? And yes white smoke and sweet smell is a good sign of a coolant leak or blown HG, just depends. You should be able to tell dirty oil from oil that's mixing with coolant, it gets pretty chocolate milky looking LOL. 2 ways you can check for possible HG being blown. First open the radiator cap (as long as car is cool so you don't burn yourself) and while car is running look for constant air bubbles. Or you can have the cap on and keep feeling the upper radiator hose. If your HG is blown and leaking thru coolant passages you will notice the hose gets pressurized really fast. Within about a minute of the car idling. Or of course you can get a coolant system pressure tester and do it that way also, you can also do a compresion test to see how your numbers look.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back