The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

HELP! Oil and Coolant mixed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98tsi_awd

10+ Year Contributor
May 23, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
So I recently started my car after a very timely build and found I have coolant and oil mixed in my oil pan. I have done compression and leak down tests, everything seemed to check out just fine at 100psi all I had was some blow by in the crankcase, checked my turbo seals and that seemed fine with free flowing water through the inlet, water would barrel out the coolant return and once i plugged it no water through the oil return. Now I have yet thought of a way to check my oil cooler but I am kinda leaning toward this being it sat for a while and the seals possibly dried out and cracked? So before i just purchase an aftermarket cooler hoping that solves my problem anyone have ways to test this or any other suggestions?

Brand new MLS and ARP head studs. Leak down testing didnt show that the head gasket should be an issue cause in all honesty that was my FIRST go to but I tested it and it all seemed ok. Any reason you think the head gasket?

How was the head and block surfaced for the MLS? If both surfaces were not glass smooth, you will have issues with the gasket sealing.

With water in the oil, there are a few ways for that to happen, most common is a bad HG/warped head

Next would be a cracked head, allowing water on top the piston, then the water works past the ring gaps into the pan.

The third way would be a cracked block, most commonly found cracks are in the cylinder bores, but if freeze cracked it can show up at any thin area in the water jacket.

For the oil cooler, that is doubtful, you would have oil in the water.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/452611-how-test-oil-cooler.html#post153148764

Welp. I doubt anyone was wondering....but i think i found the issue hahah i dont know about you guys but these arent looking very "smooth as glass" to me. Thanks to all for the help and insight...I guess I'll get these resurfaced AGAIN and try once more. One more curious discovery...I had found a gritty almost like sand substance in some coolant passages and this is no more than 1 hour of running time, I just figured I'll have the block and head hot-tanked once again anyway then flush the cooling system and that should rid me of this issue but any ideas?

Attachments

• Gasket1.jpg
    Gasket1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Gasket2.jpg
    Gasket2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Gasket3.jpg
    Gasket3.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 144
Just throwing this out there, but why not skip all the machine work and just use a new Composite gasket?

I think thats the route Im gonna go seeing that I have a brand new OEM gasket just sitting in my garage. I just started researching the amount of boost and hp I can throw at it and it seems to be just fine for my build (20-30psi max and around 400hp give or take)

It's all in the tune. Knock and detonation will blow a head gasket much faster than horsepower and boost.

I'm personally making around 500hp on a Holset H1E with a Mitsu gasket and ARP standard studs. Not a single issue with the head gasket. :)

Yeah the more I look into these the more I'm convinced it will be perfectly fine for me. I really only threw that MLS in for peace of mind and it has done nothing but give me a headache :/ so OEM gasket goes on tonight and see if I can get her running and driving by next weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back