The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G oil in coolant and nasty oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eviltsi91

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
So one of my problems is i have oil in my coolant system and im thinking its a headgasket problem..Now my other problem is i have a nasty oil leak i cant pin point it. I have got under the car and it seems to be coming from the back of the engine mayb between the head and block also could be from HG? I have asked matt98eclipse about that problem and he also said it could be from the HG since there is nothing in the back that could leak oil. So before i tear off the head i would like some suggestions and advice. I would appreciate it, still a noob to dsm as you can see LOL

I would suggest cleaning it all off and running the car to see where the oil is coming from exactly to help pinpoint it but you did say you have oil in the coolant. Is there coolant in the oil as well or is that clean? With the car running do you notice bubbles in the coolant at all?

Overall, that is what it is looking like unless you just happen to have a leak somewhere else and a cracked oil-to-water cooler on the OFH where your filter screws onto. Sometimes if you put the filter on too tight the passage ways will collapse/crack and allow coolant and oil to mix.

So one of my problems is i have oil in my coolant system and im thinking its a headgasket problem..Now my other problem is i have a nasty oil leak i cant pin point it. I have got under the car and it seems to be coming from the back of the engine mayb between the head and block also could be from HG? I have asked matt98eclipse about that problem and he also said it could be from the HG since there is nothing in the back that could leak oil. So before i tear off the head i would like some suggestions and advice. I would appreciate it, still a noob to dsm as you can see LOL

It should be easy to see if the oil leak is coming from the head gasket. If it's running down the back of the block, then first check to see if its leaking out the back of the valve cover, if not there then look to see if it's leaking from between the head and block. If it's not running down the back of the block anywhere, then it could be a leak from the oil pan as well.

Taking the head off is fairly straightforward. You'll need to disconnect either the downpipe or turbo obviously and you can take off the exhaust manifold if you really want to, but I would avoid it unless you want to replace it, or you're having the head rebuilt, or if you're just not afraid of breaking some studs. Might as well replace everything like intake manifold gasket, TB gasket, valve cover gasket, thermostat, etc. It would be a good time to delete emissions stuff if you can and want to do that eventually. You'll need to re time the engine, so it also wouldn't be a bad time to replace your timing belt, balance shaft belt, and water pump if you've never done that. You'll need new head studs too, so if you have big future plans ARPs wouldn't be a bad thing to look into. The new head gasket you choose will depend on your plans for the car as well.

I would suggest cleaning it all off and running the car to see where the oil is coming from exactly to help pinpoint it but you did say you have oil in the coolant. Is there coolant in the oil as well or is that clean? With the car running do you notice bubbles in the coolant at all?

Overall, that is what it is looking like unless you just happen to have a leak somewhere else and a cracked oil-to-water cooler on the OFH where your filter screws onto. Sometimes if you put the filter on too tight the passage ways will collapse/crack and allow coolant and oil to mix.

No coolant in the oil as far as i could tell and i did replace the oil when matt98eclipse did my transmission. I believe there is bubbles but i dont remember i will check that out again. Matt98eclipse and I did do a compression test to see if i had a blown head gasket but all came exactly the same and no low compression at all.

It should be easy to see if the oil leak is coming from the head gasket. If it's running down the back of the block, then first check to see if its leaking out the back of the valve cover, if not there then look to see if it's leaking from between the head and block. If it's not running down the back of the block anywhere, then it could be a leak from the oil pan as well.

Taking the head off is fairly straightforward. You'll need to disconnect either the downpipe or turbo obviously and you can take off the exhaust manifold if you really want to, but I would avoid it unless you want to replace it, or you're having the head rebuilt, or if you're just not afraid of breaking some studs. Might as well replace everything like intake manifold gasket, TB gasket, valve cover gasket, thermostat, etc. It would be a good time to delete emissions stuff if you can and want to do that eventually. You'll need to re time the engine, so it also wouldn't be a bad time to replace your timing belt, balance shaft belt, and water pump if you've never done that. You'll need new head studs too, so if you have big future plans ARPs wouldn't be a bad thing to look into. The new head gasket you choose will depend on your plans for the car as well.

I had checked if it was leaking from the valve cover and i saw no oil coming from there. I did have the oil pan gasket replaced as well when the transmission was done because the other gasket was shot. I had got the car with a fresh rebuilt engine well it had 200 miles on the engine. But it was still fresh so the water pump shouldnt be needing a replacement. Since i got the car i have put maybe atleast 10000 miles if not less or more. I am thinking of keeping it no plans of selling it LOL so i will be looking into some ARPs but not exactly sure on the headgasket any suggestions? So I think im looking more into the headgasket since im kind of ruling out some of the advice given:idontknow::idontknow:

Wait a minute i was going through some other threads and I came upon one that talked about headgaskets and one of the members was talking about the torque to my point, i had got the car with only 200 miles fresh rebuilt as I stated. Maybe my head bolts came loose a little bit and they probably need to be retorqued since it does have about 10k on it? What do you guys think? Could that be a possibility maybe?

It couldn't hurt to check the head studs and see, but chances are it will need a head gasket. They're not too expensive. Some people reuse their head studs but I'd definitely go with arp studs. I forget what the torque specs are for those head bolts, but make sure you tighten them in the right sequence. Wouldn't want to warp your head.

It couldn't hurt to check the head studs and see, but chances are it will need a head gasket. They're not too expensive. Some people reuse their head studs but I'd definitely go with arp studs. I forget what the torque specs are for those head bolts, but make sure you tighten them in the right sequence. Wouldn't want to warp your head.

Yea im just waiting on getting the headgasket and the arps then I will be heading out to matt98eclipse's house and we're going to change the headgasket and meanwhile the head is off he is going to check my valves etc. so it should be pretty fun LOL

Oh yeah lots of fun. I had a bmw 5 series once that I brought with a broken timing belt and had to replace some bent valves. The one thing I will definitely do if I ever get my head off is valve seals. If your car doesn't have them I'd highly recommend it. I know mine burns a little bit of oil. When the head is already off is the best time to replace valve seals, and they're only like $30.

Yea we are going to see wut it needs hopefully not much but the headgasket LOL because the guy i got the car from had rebuilt the engine and im not the type to let the throttle in everywhere i go LOL so i baby it but not to much since i like the feel of boost and not feeling like im going 120mph LOL feels nice even though my drop isnt the right way more like a cheap way untill i fix the headgasket.

Ok so i encountered another problem now. So ive had a exhaust leak from the manifold to the turbo so i fixed it this past friday. Now i tried pin pointing the oil leak ive had and found that it couldnt be from the head gasket as the block had no oil. So now to my problem, ive been having the problem of oil in my coolant and loss of coolant. Now ive seen that when driving the car i hear the coolant bubbling up and it goes into the over flow ans the over flow dumps it all out. Now friday night i drove it on my way to my buddies house the temp needle rised a little bit, so i thought it was nothing because it usually does that and goes back to normal. Driving to the gas station it rised up to the line before it hits red, i let it cool of and drove it back home i didnt want to risk anything bad. Now saturday i went to check it and it needed coolant so i poured some in left the cap off and went to turn it on, it hesitated a tad bit and it just shot out the coolant i poured in. Thought to meself blown headgasket, checked oil and it doesnt look milky. I text matt98eclipse and told him the symptoms and he also thinks its a headgasket but i dont have a compression tester to do a test so i want to see what ## opinions and what you guys think about it...

Long post sorry just wanted to be a little bit specific about the symptoms any questions you guys have i will gladly answer. Yes i have searched forums and read about it and it seems like headgasket is done. Now i got the car with the fresh rebuild engine said the shop used a cheap headgasket, made me think thats the problem.

Every symptom you have described is a blown headgasket. No one here can give you a magic answer on something else. You do not have to show all symptoms there are. Go ahead and pull the head and take a look at the headgasket then come back and reply.

Ok so i got around to pull the head off earlier tonight and heres what i came across.when i went to remove the head bolts i used a 3/8 drive ratchet extension n the hex socket what ever its called LOL and using just my hands and my little strength i have i was managed to untighten the bolts with no breaker bar or help of anything:\.. will post pics of my headgasket shortly

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
if you happen to run into a sneaky leak again get a little bottle of dye, pressure wash the motor then run the dye through it with a black light in hand. the dye will light up

Im going to run a different headgasket and arps:)

Ohh i see what your saying LOL i still have an oil leack but looks like its coming from the oil pan right above the transfer case those bolts like to unscrew them selves im guessing the vibration when i get a chance im going to remove the transfer case and throw some loc tite on them LOL..but thanks for the dye advice

So i finished the car last week on thursday. Friday morning i got up fired it up to make sure nothing leaks and then drove the car around. Everything was good and ran fine, later friday night i went got ready to head over to matt98eclipse's house and i went to turn it on and nothing just turned over. Tried turning it on again, turned on and shut off almost immediately. Since it was night i didnt fell like messing with it.

Saturday morning i got up went outside first thing i did was make sure it was on time. Turned over the engine six times untill everything lined up. Sure enough the crank seemed off so i turned it over another six times to double check and got the same results. Took the timing belt off retimed it making sure everything was good. Double and tripple checked it, everything was good went to fire it up, turned on but it was idleling like crap as if it wasn't getting any spark. Changed the plugs to brand new NGKs and the same thing happend again. Left it runing and removed the wires from the plugs one by one starting with cylinder 1. Nothing changed, cylinder 2 nothing, cylinder 3 idle dropped and almost shut off, and final cylinder nothing changed.

So what im trying to get at is some advice on what could be causing my problem on it idleling like crap. Maybe someone else has encountered this before and could let me know on what you did to fix it. Now im thinkin i could possibly have bent valves, i updated my mods so thats all up to date. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry for the long post just trying to put as much info as possible i will gladly answer any questions

Anything anyone:confused:..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back