The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

General Is AEM the Only Legit EMS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHSTII

Proven Member
Jul 1, 2021
Nashville, Tennessee
As I've been looking into standalone ECUs, AEM constantly keeps coming up. I've got two questions:

1. Are there any alternatives would you consider? I am familiar with Haltech, but I could use some additional insight.
2. Are all of them $2k? 😆 😆

The important thing to note is that I need to be able to properly tune my heavily modified car when the new engine is installed, and I want it done right.

haltech is good shit but i am unfamiliar with it on dsm platform. I've known a few guy with 7sec foxbodys. they run haltech.
Its definitely capable but may be a more complicated setup compared to a AEM.
If your already familiar with haltech why not just run that.

As I've been looking into standalone ECUs, AEM constantly keeps coming up. I've got two questions:

1. Are there any alternatives would you consider? I am familiar with Haltech, but I could use some additional insight.
2. Are all of them $2k? 😆 😆

The important thing to note is that I need to be able to properly tune my heavily modified car when the new engine is installed, and I want it done right.
I guess if you're concerned about swallowing the $2k entry point for a standalone you should ask yourself why your setup can't be run on link v3? Several 800whp+ cars are still on it.

I'm actually glad you mention that, because I'm sort of just weighing up what is most practical for my purposes. I'm just putting together a light, trackable street car. The setup requires a tune, so I wanted to see what people's opinions would be about something like ECMLink vs AEM. I can't fully wrap my head around how it all works, and I even if I figured it out overnight, I know I'd need a professional to tune it.

I'm really just wondering if something like ECM would be "the lazy way" to go about it, or if it is still in support by modern day tuners.

I'm actually glad you mention that, because I'm sort of just weighing up what is most practical for my purposes. I'm just putting together a light, trackable street car. The setup requires a tune, so I wanted to see what people's opinions would be about something like ECMLink vs AEM. I can't fully wrap my head around how it all works, and I even if I figured it out overnight, I know I'd need a professional to tune it.

I'm really just wondering if something like ECM would be "the lazy way" to go about it, or if it is still in support by modern day tuners.
I wouldn't call it the lazy way. ECMlink is MORE than capable to provide whatever you need for it...especially a "light, trackable street car". You cant go wrong.

ECMLink still gets it done.
Link G4X (direct plug-in) and Haltech Elite 1500 would be my next choices. The AEM would be way down the list for me.

I suggest including any local emission laws in your decision criteria for street applications. ECMLink will still talk to your OBDII port so the emissions machines can talk to it which may make testing possible & easier.

Last edited:
+1 for Ecmlink.

Fueltech is also another very good option that hasn't been mentioned.

Ecmlink is by far the easiest to learn and very capable. It's limitation are not power really but safety features.

IMO, if the OP would tune by himself and is already familiar with Haltech, then Haltech would be the best and the easiest. But in case if he wouldn't tune by himself, it would matter of tuner's preference, and what features the OP would want from ECU. He should plan well first. ECMLink would be the most budget/user friendly, but if he would need many extra sensors, input/output or some special/specific features, then ECMLink may not suit his needs.

THIS is a good read for anyone considering a stand alone system. They talk about the things to consider. I think that ECMLink can do all that you want to do but, as others have said, it does have a few limitations on fail safes and inputs for optional sensors.

Emtron
Link
ECUMaster
Haltech

I think those are the best entry-level standalone management units on the market. AEM is not very intuitive and lacks some key features like trigger oscilloscopes. Of course there's more expensive units out there like MoTec, etc, but I think these are the best bang for your buck. I have a Link G4X Fury and it's fantastic. Link is also the only company that has a plug-in unit available that goes in the factory case without a jumper harness. Which is cool if you're looking to keep it OEM or do minimal wiring.

This is not a personal shot but you mention heavily modified dsm. Your profile as a new member says 16g. In the dsm world that is far from heavily modified. If you want standalone it has been mentioned that they do offer benefits dsmlink won't but at greatly increased expense, complexity. and install. Elsewhere you ask if DSMlink is "cheaping out". I assure you it is not.
the bottom line in all this is whatever you purchase does it DO what you need it to do and meet your goals and restraints?
If you haven't asked yourself or spelled out what your goals and restraints are I would highly recommend it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back