1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

How molested is my engine?

Posted by 1g_talonman, Oct 6, 2018

Tags:
Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 1g_talonman

1g_talonman Proven Member

Joined Sep 20, 2018
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Just a quick heads up, I really don't know anything about the backstory of my 91 talon tsi and its engine. I'm a teen that just bought his first car and don't know too much about engines in general.

Engine was rebuilt and has 150000kms on it. I'll check over the receipts and find out what exactly was done/if any problems reported (was rebuilt 10 years ago) if anybody wants to know.

The car currently doesn't run. It ran well minus the odd stall for a week after I bought it. I took it into an import shop (guy has worked on dozens of dsm's) for a diagnosis and he found that oil leaked into the cam sensor and busted it, although he couldn't guarantee that was the only major problem keeping the engine from running.

I've noted that the turbo and rad were pulled from a junkyard (previous owner tried to make a fast car on the cheap?) and the battery is held in place with a bungee cord and not bolts (battery hits hood while driving and shorts out.) There are also vacuum lines plugged with bolts and covered in tape around the engine bay, for example on the throttle body and air intakes.

Basically, I'm curious to know what is and isn't stock, what looks like it might need some attention or replacing, and your opinions on what I've got. Thanks in advance. IMG_20181005_083931.jpg IMG_20181005_083934.jpg IMG_20181005_083938.jpg

Street Build 453  6

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Fix that batteru situation TODAY, you wont have a car in a few days if you dont, your lucky the battery hasnt already welded itself to the hood and caused a fire that cant be put out, its happened and if you search you will find the stories.

Drag Race Build 3K  23

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. 1g_talonman

Joined Sep 20, 2018
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Oh yeah for sure man. It was a janky solution but the guy I bought it from had a piece of cardboard on it which also was a fire hazard but oh well it is what it is. I'm going to some junkyards on Monday and the battery resting plate thing is on my shopping list.

Street Build 453  6

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  4. Talon96fwd

Talon96fwd Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2011
    Alexandria, Virginia

951  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    14.184 @ 104.365 · 2G DSM
  5. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Doesnt' look Bad. I Dont' See any hacked Up wires or Mods. It has Heat shields so that is a plus

2K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  6. Stephen97gst

Stephen97gst Probationary Member

Joined Aug 2, 2018
    Sioux Falls sd, South Dakota
    Looks like you found a fairly stock dsm definitely going to need some maintenance and fixing to get her 100%

Street Build 321  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. 1g_talonman

Joined Sep 20, 2018
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    I do plan on saving up to do maintenance like full timing replace. Also a little cleanup before winter, and probably a deep clean of the engine bay next spring.

The heat shields are covering the exhaust headers or manifolds or whatever beside the oil dipstick, correct?

Well that's good to hear. I'm eager to tackle my own project car to help me learn hands on LOL

Street Build 453  6

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  8. Stephen97gst

Stephen97gst Probationary Member

Joined Aug 2, 2018
    Sioux Falls sd, South Dakota
    Like Chrysler kid said it has heat shields most of the time people take those off throw them away lose them etc easy way to tell wether the car has been messed with

Street Build 321  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. rEclipserGST

rEclipserGST Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Spend some time reading. Searching "how to blah blah blah dsmtuners" on google. That will yeild major results.

This site search function is a little sketchy. But this site has EVERYTHING you need to know. I promise you.

I've been here about 15 years. That's your first car? Wow. Listen. Read. Listen. Research. Maintenance.

I daily drive my car. So, take that info how you want it.

Your car looks clean. Not hacked up, just some minor mods it looks like. Overall still factory. Clean up when you can, mod free what you can. Fix what you need to.

Fix those vacuum lines.
    Boost leak test.
    Replace spark plugs, NGK NPR7es gapped to .025
    93 gas
    fuel filter
    fuel pump sock filter
    spark plugs
    oil
    timing belt, balancers & pulleys

If you can not afford to, park it. It'll cost you 4x as much in the long run depending on your decisions.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

Street Build 642  25

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    187 whp · 200 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  10. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I highly recommend replacing the radiator with a full aluminum one (the ebay $100 rads work great). Those plastic topped rads are 20 years old and become very brittle. I had a hose pop off when the rad neck just disintegrated as I was climbing a hill and it caused a whole myriad of problems.

The vac hoses are looped because the PO deleted the emissions crap.
    You can get a universal battery hold down for $5.

Street Build 4K  8

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
    93AWDDSM likes this.
  11. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    It always interests me that so many people leave the sticker on the upper radiator hose. I agree with above, first thing I would do is get a new radiator; that thing is about to crack any day now. Looks like a pretty decent find. You either want to find a stock car or one with high quality modifications. You found the stock car. Good for you.

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    iugrad92turbo likes this.
  12. 1g_talonman

Joined Sep 20, 2018
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    I do plan on fixing her to the point where I can daily drive, and thanks for the heads on up the things I should fix!

Okay I'll be sure to save up for an aluminum rad. As for the vacuum lines, I'm not sure which one are looped but wouldn't I be able to remove the ones plugged with bolts and cover them up properly with vacuum caps?

Street Build 453  6

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
    rEclipserGST likes this.
  13. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Those bastidges are hard to get off in one piece. I never cared enough.

Street Build 246  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

342  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 888  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  14. Dsm panda

Dsm panda Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2017
    Franklin, Wisconsin
    Being that it's your first car (awesome choice btw) and only car I'd say do all the maintenance and I mean all. And I'd say keep it as stock as you can these cars get a bad rap for being unreliable but I feel it's the owners fault. Pick two cheap, reliable, fast. You found the best place to learn though I wish you luck be smart and do things once and do them right!

1K  2

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    327 whp · 307 lb/ft · 1G DSM

Street Build 622  2

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
    93AWDDSM likes this.
  15. 93AWDDSM

93AWDDSM Proven Member

Joined Jan 1, 2009
    Vancouver, Washington
    DSM

Don't
    Stop
    Maintaining!

Seriously though, a thorough check of everything would be good. Ignition timing check once it's running any and all boost leaks fixed.

Street Build 3K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM