The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink Hard Knock Life ""1G AWD cruise knock"

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
I have been noticing knock when driving around and sometime enough to pass the 5 degree threshold that flashes the MIL at you.

Im just wondering in the log I have attached if this is something to worry about? I notice that most of the knock occurs during low RPM tip in. However, I'm not 100% sure.

I am running the stock turbo with a fully built motor. "weird I know, but the turbo and manifold are weeks out" I have a AFPR set a based pressure 38psi. Im using EVO 8 560's and have not adjusted the DA timing tables much.

Please let me know what you think
Thank you

Attachments

• log.2022.06.14-01.elg
    648.2 KB · Views: 4

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
You can use water and do the same thing. We did that way back in the 70's. It will steam clean the cylinders, just don't add so much that it stalls the motor. My mother in laws old Ford Fairlane got that treatment from me and I had the biggest black soot circle in my gravel for the longest time. It purred like a kitten after that too. Just thought I'd throw that out there, it is much harder to do on a forced induction motor.
I'll take a look at the log in a few, when I am done here at work.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
I took a look at your log. I don't know who built your timing and fuel tables but, if it were me, I would put a Stock 2g tune into it and work from there. You are commanding too much timing at too low of a load. The 1g/2g/Evo8 stock files can be found HERE on the ECMLink site. Save your current files (any log that is current) so if you don't like what the car is doing you can copy them back to your tune. It is just what I would do and do on my DSM's. Let us know how the car likes or dislikes it.

T bags

Proven Member
Apr 9, 2022
Newark, New_Jersey
I took a look at your log. I don't know who built your timing and fuel tables but, if it were me, I would put a Stock 2g tune into it and work from there. You are commanding too much timing at too low of a load. The 1g/2g/Evo8 stock files can be found HERE on the ECMLink site. Save your current files (any log that is current) so if you don't like what the car is doing you can copy them back to your tune. It is just what I would do and do on my DSM's. Let us know how the car likes or dislikes it.
Aggressive timing curve indeed. Have you checked the gap on the plugs?

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Something sure seems wrong in your log. At the 852-856 second mark, you finally do a "WOT" pull for 4 seconds and the car only gained 283 RPM.....it surely should have picked up speed better. Have you done any tests such as a boost leak test to take care of any of those? I would suggest it. The log doesn't look like the car is boosting.
Try to get a log of Full Throttle (WOT) in 3rd gear from 3000-redline or let out when the knock sensor flickers, so we can see where, in the timing and fuel tables, the car is looking for its information. I like to see a KOEO full throttle push of the accelerator to know the TPS is calibrated correctly also. It is something I do on each log, at the beginning, to show that my TPS is set properly.
KOEO=Key on Engine off
Marty

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
Something sure seems wrong in your log. At the 852-856 second mark, you finally do a "WOT" pull for 4 seconds and the car only gained 283 RPM.....it surely should have picked up speed better. Have you done any tests such as a boost leak test to take care of any of those? I would suggest it. The log doesn't look like the car is boosting.
Try to get a log of Full Throttle (WOT) in 3rd gear from 3000-redline or let out when the knock sensor flickers, so we can see where, in the timing and fuel tables, the car is looking for its information. I like to see a KOEO full throttle push of the accelerator to know the TPS is calibrated correctly also. It is something I do on each log, at the beginning, to show that my TPS is set properly.
KOEO=Key on Engine off
Marty
Hey 90 TSI good to hear from you. I really appreciate you taking the time to look at the log. I know it is not full of useful info. however, I will have the 3rd gear pull tomorrow.
Thank you!

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
BPR6ES unless you are running high compression and a lot of boost, then the 7s' or 8's might work better. ( I run the 8's at .018" because of the boost I run, 30-40psi)

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Aren't they suppose to "Auto Light"???? ROFL
Yes most of us do use NGK Copper plugs.

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
Thank you for the reply’s and information. I purchased the NGK 6ES and will update after I perform the boost leak and compression tests so that not to waste anyones time.
Anthony.

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
shame on me, I have boost leaks everywhere!
IAC valve, vacuum plugs and now I'm fighting the lower injector seals.. I'm using a FIC rail I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I ordered new seals for now??
Hopefully this takes care of the boost leaks and then ill move to compression testing,

I did also install the LC2 wideband.

thank you

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Nice Update!
Get those leaks taken care of and the car will respond to you much better. It's surprising how many little (or big) leaks you can run across. Glad you did that test, very wise of you!
The LC2 will be able to give feedback as to how rich or lean the motor is running at any given time so make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks that would skew the readings (but don't break exhaust studs off in the head, be careful).
You are doing the right thing, keep us informed so we can help.

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
Nice Update!
Get those leaks taken care of and the car will respond to you much better. It's surprising how many little (or big) leaks you can run across. Glad you did that test, very wise of you!
The LC2 will be able to give feedback as to how rich or lean the motor is running at any given time so make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks that would skew the readings (but don't break exhaust studs off in the head, be careful).
You are doing the right thing, keep us informed so we can help.
Thanks, just jumping ahead here a bit and wanted some insight on what everyones doing with Open Loop max octane A/R ratios. "i ask since people have been successfully racing these cars for 30 years..
I was surprised to see the stock table with 9.3:1 @ 4000RPM and up! That is crazy, i wonder if the mitsu engineers where trying to combat knock them selves based on that aggressive spark table they calibrated!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My set up is slightly weird and old school;
JE forged Piston Close to 9:1
Crower Rods
Race bearings "forgot the brand name"
balance shafts are eliminated
helical cut oil pump gear "all Mitsubishi parts"
HKS MLS head gasket, block is bored .020"
match port and polished head with 1mm oversized Ferrrea valves and titanium valve springs
HKS 272 EX and 264 IN
STOCK TURBO
STOCK SMIC
STOCK EXHAUST MANIFOLD AND o2 HOUSING
3" open exhaust

LOL I know...the turbo and manifold are literally in the mail but are weeks out....
Fuel lap set-up, pump to motor all juiced up with AFPR
EVO 8 injectors...LOL "ran out of moneys"

thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds