The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Feeler: Interest in Motorsports-spec Wiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not a critique, but a question to someone who obviously knows more than me building harnesses....

Why is everything coiled? I get the strain relief/strength aspect, but wouldn't that contribute to inductance/resistance possibilities?

I used to coil everything back in the day, and someone much smarter than me advised against it. He was *not* an electrical engineer, but knowledgable in general.

I've built a few harnesses over my days, but your examples blow anything I'd attempt out of the water.

I believe he answered that with if it needs to be repinned there is enough wire to use.
I think you read that wrong, I think JNZ is not asking about the loop on the end but the coil / winding of the entire bunch of wires as a group.

Why is everything coiled? I get the strain relief/strength aspect, but wouldn't that contribute to inductance/resistance possibilities?

Concentric twisting is normally used when bundling wires for motorsport harnesses. This is a good / quick summary:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The real short reason is that it makes the wiring bundle extremely flexible for it's thickness. This only works if you've done a correct job of matching conductor sizes and followed the rules. You definitely need to consider EMI in your harness and use shielded wires where appropriate.

Not a critique, but a question to someone who obviously knows more than me building harnesses....

I used to coil everything back in the day, and someone much smarter than me advised against it. He was *not* an electrical engineer, but knowledgable in general.

I've built a few harnesses over my days, but your examples blow anything I'd attempt out of the water.
You must understand that these wires are running next to each other in a factory harness anyway. Any kind of induction or interference would be encountered with factory wiring, the concentric twisting makes no difference. It’s also not putting everything in a drill and winding it up.

As was posted in the HPA video, concentric twisting is for strain relief, creating a small cross section, and so it can easily be covered with raychem DR-25.

Here’s the video I made on the process.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back