1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Electric Power Steering Column

Posted by greddy_1700, Dec 12, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. greddy_1700

greddy_1700 Proven Member

Joined Aug 27, 2006
    Regina, SK, Canada
    Hey, I am looking for some information on someone who adapted a GM electric steering column into a 1g. There is a video of it on youtube, plus in the 2g custom rack group buy people reference a person named "cole" who did the conversions? If someone could point me to some info on this modification I would really appreciate it. I picked up a Saturn Vue column the other day and am going to purchase the wiring kit from ebay, but more interested in some info on how they modified the existing dsm column to accept the eps system.

Thanks in advance,

Garret.

2. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin

Street Build 278  5

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 211  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  9

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Mech Addict likes this.
  3. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    I can not comment on gm stuff but I did a mr2 ehps conversion on my 1g. It feels a bit heavier but not bad over all. If you figure it out then please post so maybe we could have an alternative.

Street Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    What is your purpose in doing this? Are you trying to attain that extra horsepower? Are you having problems with your power steering?

Road Race Build 2K  24

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

479  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

375  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  5. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Me too, I have had mine for years now and I love it!

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. greddy_1700

Joined Aug 27, 2006
    Regina, SK, Canada
    This is overall a very common modification for other platforms. I understand the concerns here, that's why I am trying to gather as much info as possible prior to just jumping in. It is also being done as part of a group buy on this forum, so I assumed people would have some info for our platform specifically.

The reason for doing so is to remove the hydraulic power steering, clean up the engine bay, and do something different / unique on our platform.

BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  7. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    There is very little advantage to doing so, unless you want to run a custom rack & pinion that doesn't have a spool valve for the hydraulics, and you still want the assistance... like some of us in the group buy. I saw other people's work and decided I could do a better job, but others seem trusting, so maybe look into that. I just hope I never encounter you on the road.

Your charging system will be working harder to keep up as well. Something else to consider before doing this "just because".
    There ARE people on here that know what to do, so I recommend sending it to them, or staying with the stock column. And before anyone asks, no, I will not share details. Additionally, I will not do this work for someone else.

So based on your reasons:

There is nothing "different / unique" about asking people to tell you how they did something so you can copy it. Think about that one...

Do you have interference between the power steering system and some other part you are trying to install? Or when you say "clean up" do you mean just aesthetic improvement?

What advantage do you expect to gain from removing the power steering?

120190311_163246-jpg.jpg

Street Build 278  5

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 211  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  9

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. greddy_1700

Joined Aug 27, 2006
    Regina, SK, Canada
    Thanks for your input, I am fully aware of everything you stated above. Sounds like its not just me your worried about, but everyone else from the custom rack group buy that had this done.

This isn't something I am just hacking together, it is an important component of the vehicle and will be treated as such. The charging system thing doesn't worry me, nor does having to weld the spool valve, both are very easily dealt with. And I am asking for peoples experiences to better my design, not carbon copy. I appreciate that you have a fantastic design that you don't want to share, and that's every bit your right, just hoping other had experiences worth sharing.

With any luck I will be able to develop something I am happy with, and will be able to share to help others that may or may not want to do this, or simply to improve the design.

SpankyStokes likes this.
  9. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    For me it was to make room under the hood for a bigger turbo which eventually I will get to. Also I do understand that I will have to pull the engine at one point so having less parts to remove is also a plus. As far as coping others, well don't we all.

Street Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM