The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

eBay knockoff GT35R testing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yea, if he's flowing 40lb/min at 20psi then he is right at 80* efficiency at peak :p which we're all sure he's not. He's likely running 35-38lb/min and thus in the 74% range at 2.3PR.

Is there any surge? 4500 rpms is well within the spool range of a gt35r. Nice! I forget, did you measure the wheels?

Compressor- 62mm inducer, 82mm exducer; 6-blade.
Turbine- 68mm inducer, 62mm exducer; 10-blade.

T3 turbine inlet, Garrett 4-bolt outlet.
4" compressor cover inlet, 2.5" compressor outlet.

I think the boost will touch 25psi before long. Once he gets over this turbo feeling faster at 20psi than the 20G it replaced did at 25psi, then the boost will inch it's way up.

I'll have to ask him about surge and get back to you. I'll also report back with actual spool RPM once the tuning gets cleaned up a little (I think it's currently around 10.8 on the wideband @ WOT running 93 fuel.)

I have a PTE 6152 which is a GT35R except its not ball bearing....I spool 25psi by 4800 with a built 2.0 stock head and cams, and intake mani....im also on a stock 2G exhaust mani

I couldn't resist any longer and took the plunge and ordered one of these turbo's. :)

Any updates???

I wish I had results.....we were supposed to be at the track TONIGHT testing, but the rain leftover from the damn Tropical Storm forced them to cancel Test & Tune. I believe my guy took off work today and everything with hopes of attending- I'm not sure when we'll be able to reschedule as it's not easy for him to get out of work.

We were to have at least 4 DSMer's at the track tonight....the guy with the knockoff 35R, another buddy from MD trying to run 12's on the stock 2G exhaust, another buddy who just rebuilt his engine and bolted on a 6031E, and my close buddy from my hometown who's looking for 11's before the end of the season with his stock 2G 7-bolt. What a bummer.

First glitch we've encountered.....the cast T3 manifold (4G63 Eclipse, Evo, Cast Turbo Manifold - TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE) doesn't allow the turbo to mount up properly; the turbine housing hits the block where the balance shaft tube is.

If the turbo flange were at a slightly steeper angle, this setup would appear to work fine. For those who suggest a spacer, this will not work because if the compressor housing were any lower it would hit the crossmember.

I have a SFP tubular manifold at my shop that will hopefully remedy this....but to all interested, do NOT expect the cast Turbonetics-style manifold to work with this turbo!

When running a Turbonetics manifold with a t04s cover on a turbo you have to use a spacer between the head and the manifold not the turbo and the manifold. Hahn racecraft sells them. To anyone who has been into DSMs for sometime its pretty much common knowledge. It moves the setup out not down so you have nothing to worry about with the crossmember.

Hahn Racecraft - Turbo Upgrades and Parts

Spacer Plate, Mitsubishi Exhaust Manifold: This laser-cut, .500" thick plate spaces the exhaust manifold forward when employed between the manifold and the head. Uses two exhaust manifold gaskets shown above. This plate creates the extra clearance needed to install larger turbos without interference with front of engine block. See Super Turbo hardware section for the longer studs you will heed to use this plate.
H TZ-7330: Spacer Plate, Mitsubishi Exhaust Manifold

When running a Turbonetics manifold with a t04s cover on a turbo you have to use a spacer between the head and the manifold not the turbo and the manifold. Hahn racecraft sells them. To anyone who has been into DSMs for sometime its pretty much common knowledge. It moves the setup out not down so you have nothing to worry about with the crossmember.

Hahn Racecraft - Turbo Upgrades and Parts

That's good to know, but it seems a bit ridiculous that Turbonetics doesn't just cut the flange at a slightly steeper angle (hell, 6 or 8 degrees would probably do it) to save you from buying a spacer, another gasket, longer studs, etc in order to make such a turbo fit.

The SFP manifold was nearly identical in shape and size to the cast Turbonetics unit with the exception of the turbo flange being at a slightly steeper angle. It allowed enough room for my fingers to pass between the turbine housing and the block once it was mounted.

I suggest Turbonetics (and those companies who copy their manifold) should go back to the drawing board.

Sorry to be such a noob on this but what is a (SFP) tubular manifold

whats the sfp stand for? stainless foreced proformance?

Oh and Pics please. Im thinking about going this rout too

SFP = South Florida Performance. I'm not sure if they're still in business or not, and some folks complained about their early manifolds cracking but there's no way the one I have would ever crack. This beast weighs about as much as a cast manifold, but is tubular stainless steel.

Here are some pics of one that is similar to the one on my buddy's car:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The casting for the turbonetics predates the use of a to4s cover on a dsm.

But what about the turbine housing? The "S" compressor cover cleared just fine....it was well below the water pipe- the problem was the turbine housing hitting the engine block.

If the guy lived closer than 2 hours from me, I would take pics all the time. I was hoping to get some pics and vids of the car last wednesday at Test & Tune until it rained out. As I said earlier, I'm not sure when the next T&T will be that he can attend, but you can be sure there will be video and plenty of photos taken.

Just FYI guys, there is an exhaust manifold that allows a T04s comp cover with a 4-bolt turbine outlet to be bolted onto a DSM, and it's cast.

The ERL Cast Stainless Manifold.

+2; One of the best manifolds on the market, for a street car.
This is with Holset HX-40, which has even bigger comp. cover.

Attachments

• DSCN1548.jpg
    DSCN1548.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,256
Nice piece, for sure.

It looks as if the SFP Manifold is made very similar, and look at the angle on the turbo flange! That's what's keeping the turbine housing from hitting the block!

It appears that Turbonetics needs to get with the program if they want to continue to sell their manifolds to DSMer's. They must think we're all still using "B" cover turbos!

Does ERL have a website?

It appears that Turbonetics needs to get with the program if they want to continue to sell their manifolds to DSMer's. They must think we're all still using "B" cover turbos!

Yup, that will be me with my T04B 50-trim! :rocks:

He's been driving the car around his house for the past couple weeks. I'd guess mileage to be around 400 so far. Those who have ridden in the car claim it pulls twice as hard as it did with the TD06 20G.

Here are some photos of the setup on the car:

The car made it's first pass down the track tonight. At 22psi with a 1.8ish 60ft, the car ran a 12.40 @110. Wideband was sitting around 11.5 under full boost. The car sputtered a bit under full boost in the lower gears, but the big problem happened under power in 4th- it misfired as if it detonated.

The DSMLink log showed around 8 counts of knock at the time it popped. We're not sure what caused the knock to be there....the headlight was out so we know it was pulling cool air; perhaps it was just too much boost on pump gas with that big of a turbo.

After the misfire, the car began to smoke. BAD. We spent the whole night trying to figure out if something happened to the turbo, or if it was something internal (cracked piston, broken ring land, head gasket, etc). If you loosened the oil cap while the engine was idling, the crankcase pressure would practially BLOW the oil cap out of the valve cover. There's A LOT of blowby, but I'm not sure how much it had before the car began to smoke....it might've been that way the whole time (12x,xxx on the stock 1G 6-bolt.)

The car seemed to smoke at idle more than it did under boost....sort-of the opposite of what you'd figure a blown turbine seal to do. The smoke smelled like oil, and it was "heavy" and would hang in the air like oil smoke, but it wasn't "blue" like oil smoke; however it wasn't sweet-smelling enough to be all coolant.

He ran the car 3 passes and the more it ran, the more it smoked. None of the passes were as good as the first as we were in a "diagnostic" mode trying to figure out what the hell was going on. The car still pulled hard, and you could DEFINITELY hear the turbo screaming once the car was on boost, but the power seemed laggier getting into boost. A compression test will tell the tale.

I'm going to post updates as they become available to me. As I said, he lives 2 hours away from me so I'm not in constant contact or anything. Please don't continually ask for updates....if the engine DID die, I'm not sure how soon it will be until this car will be up and running again. Winter's coming, and the finances just aren't there to be doing a full rebuild before winter.

I'm rather disappointed with this occurrance, but it's just one of life's little speedbumps I suppose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back