The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

DSM Link v3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_drake2

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2012
Baytown, Texas
Alright I have a '95 Eclipse GS-T and I was wondering how the DSM Link works and when I go to get online how should it be setup? I'll probably be getting it from this site:
ECMLink (DSMLink V3) Engine Management System - Modern Automotive Performance

Like what should I put in the blanks?
I know this:
It is an Eprom ecu
ECU Type: 2G
Fuel Injectors: 550
but what does MAF type 2g vs Hacked 2g mean and would I need a GM MAF Cable

Also I've looked into how to set up bolt-ons and was told from other guys here parts that would work without going into the engine internals to reach somewhere around 310 hp. This is what I've found and wanted to check if they'd all work together or your opinions:

Brian Crower Street/Strip Camshafts 272/272
GReddy (Denso) 550cc Fuel Injectors
MAP Beehive Valve Spring Kit w/ Titanium Retainers (Evo 8/9)
MAP AFPR Install Kit with Fuelab Regulator (DSM)
ECMLink / DSMLink v3 Engine Management System
Walbro 255lph High Pressure Fuel Pump and Install Kit
Megan Racing Stainless Steel Turbo Manifold DSM
and a Garrett Big T28 Turbo

The best thing to do is to watch the demos they will get you started on setting up ecmlink. your goal may be attainable, depends on some things tuning and maintenance but you've got a great start.

Alright I have a '95 Eclipse GS-T and I was wondering how the DSM Link works and when I go to get online how should it be setup? I'll probably be getting it from this site:
ECMLink (DSMLink V3) Engine Management System - Modern Automotive Performance

Like what should I put in the blanks?
I know this:
It is an Eprom ecu
ECU Type: 2G
Fuel Injectors: 550
but what does MAF type 2g vs Hacked 2g mean and would I need a GM MAF Cable

Also I've looked into how to set up bolt-ons and was told from other guys here parts that would work without going into the engine internals to reach somewhere around 310 hp. This is what I've found and wanted to check if they'd all work together or your opinions:

Brian Crower Street/Strip Camshafts 272/272
GReddy (Denso) 550cc Fuel Injectors
MAP Beehive Valve Spring Kit w/ Titanium Retainers (Evo 8/9)
MAP AFPR Install Kit with Fuelab Regulator (DSM)
ECMLink / DSMLink v3 Engine Management System
Walbro 255lph High Pressure Fuel Pump and Install Kit
Megan Racing Stainless Steel Turbo Manifold DSM
and a Garrett Big T28 Turbo

Unless your ECU is already socketed, it has to be sent to ECMlink and upgraded. Price will vary depending if the ECU is already an EPROM ECU or not. ECMlink can convert non-EPROM ECUs to use ECMlink, but it costs extra. In short, I highly doubt your ECU already has a socket. So, no, you can not do it yourself.
Well how can I tell if I have an EPROM ECU??? And, how do I know if it already has a socket???

What MAF means just that, what MAF do you have on the car? Since you don't know and assuming someone else hasn't modded the car, I'd say it is probably a stock 2G MAF.

Some use a GM MAF in place of the stock MAF. Search "GM MAF" and read...
GM MAF:
Read About GM MAF

Some use a "hacked" 2G MAF in place of the stock MAF. Search "Hacked 2G MAF" and read...
Hacked 2G MAF:
Read About Hacked MAFs
Read About Hacked MAFs More

-Before you start modding, have you caught up on all your maintainance?

-Are you going to pull the head, and if so are you going to get the head checked out at a machine shop and refreshed?

-I see cams and such in the mod list, but are you going to service the timing belt and all the components?

-What head gasket are you going to use if you pull the head?

-You can't reuse the head bolts, so what are you going to do there? ARP studs?

-I don't see an intercooler on your list. If you plan to up the boost on a T28, good luck cooling the charge on the stock side mount.

-How much are you going to pay for the T28? The T28 is comparable to a small 16G, so if you can get a EvoIII big 16G for around the same price, I'd go that route personally.

-How much are you going to pay for GReddy (Denso) 550cc Fuel Injectors? EVO 590s or maybe even a set of EVO 510s would get you to 310HP. I'd consider those first.

-What type of exhaust system are you running?

-You NEED a wideband O2 before you do anything on your list. I would recommend an Innovate WB (as does ECMlink).

There are a lot of things you need to consider. All the consumables, gaskets and little things add up, so you need to make sure you factor them into your build, and your budget.

Yeah that's the problem, I bought the car online and they didn't take car of it and basically "riced" it out. (body kit, big wing, and exhaust system). I know my ECU is an eprom because I checked it out and looked, but thanks for explaining the "socketing".

alright then, the MAF is most likely stock then because I haven't done anything to it and everything is basically stock.

-All the maintenance is caught up because I basically had to fix everything the previous owner had and i'll double check before I install or buy any of these parts.

-The engine is in great shape surprisingly, only a total of 50,000 miles and the previous owner had redone everything and it's basically a brand new motor and the two shops I took it to after I bought it to check it out said it's in one of the better engines they've seen in that car.

-I've had all the belts and components replaced and fixed.

-I was probably going to get a good head gasket from a local auto parts store, unless I would have to order one online that's better? Any suggested head gasket?

-I didn't know about the bolts, but from what I've read on here is that the ARP are pretty good. So I guess I'd probably go with those, unless you suggest something that is more compatible?

-I wasn't sure if I needed a intercooler or not but I had picked out this one: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts
I figured it would be enough but wasn't sure if it'd fit right and was gonna ask opinions about this one.

-the T28 I found online was for $895, but what would a good brand or cost of a 16g?

-I'm not sure what the previous owner put on but I know it's not stock and it's probably about 2.5" throughout.

-alright, i'll get the wideband, I wasn't sure if it was needed or not.

Yeah when I factor the costs I usually round $50-$100 up from whatever the price says just in case something happens. Thanks, this is a lot of info that'll help me. I want to do the car right and not just slap stuff on and run it into the ground.

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts
Intercooler kit^

you got some good stuff there, and arps are great for your goal and then some, I would look at a used 16g or a rebuilt one for a good price. Get a wideband a lc1 works great with ecmlink, I would grab that next before a intercooler. Since you have a eprom your set to go.

oh and the fuel injectors I picked those because I wasn't sure of any other brands that'd work. But i'll look into some more of those

i don't see an lc1 on the site it says there is the new lc2 wideband. I'll look around for that too though

-I was probably going to get a good head gasket from a local auto parts store, unless I would have to order one online that's better? Any suggested head gasket?

I'd reccomend a Fel-Pro composite. Fel-Pro is legit

-I didn't know about the bolts, but from what I've read on here is that the ARP are pretty good. So I guess I'd probably go with those, unless you suggest something that is more compatible?
Stock head bolts on a 2G are torque-to-yield. They can't be reused. You need to make sure you get the right 2G studs, as they are smaller in diameter.
2G head stud mod

-I wasn't sure if I needed a intercooler or not but I had picked out this one: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts
I figured it would be enough but wasn't sure if it'd fit right and was gonna ask opinions about this one.
Personally, I'd go with this kit VRSF 2G DSM Front Mount Intercooler Kit FMIC : 95-99 Eclipse & Talon Turbo 2G DSM

-the T28 I found online was for $895, but what would a good brand or cost of a 16g?
That's stupid expensive, and I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a turbo that performs like a small 16G. There are much better turbo options for that price. Hell, you can get a FP HTA68 for that price! FP HTA68 for $800 bucks!!! Alternatively, you can find a mint Big 16G for almost half that (they go used for $350-$550 depending in condition). Either option would be a much better turbo for the money. The only advantage of getting the T28 would be direct bolt on to your car. But, your intercooler needs to be upgraded anyways, so the point is moot.

-I'm not sure what the previous owner put on but I know it's not stock and it's probably about 2.5" throughout.
You need to figure out exactly what you have, so you know what you need. There's a big difference between turbo back, and cat back exhaust.

-alright, i'll get the wideband, I wasn't sure if it was needed or not.
Absolutely need this. Innovate with ECMlink, hands down.

Great advice from GST.

The ONLY brand 16g you want is MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries), or a legit modified version from a company like Forced Performance. There are dozens of knockoff brands (such as Godspeed) that can't even begin to compare when it comes to reliability.

That's one thing you don't want failing is a cheap turbo, ive seen a cheap one blow up on my friends 2g, not a pretty site.

I meant a turbo, cheap is cheap.

ok then Fel-pro it is, but which one? just the headgasket (Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS Head Gasket or FELPRO CYLINDER HEAD GASKET, STEEL CORE LAMINATE) or the kit (Fel-Pro Head Gasket Set : Mitsubishi Eclipse 2G 7-Bolt). Not sure but i know the perma torque is expensive, but i found it where i can get a package deal with arp studs.

Alright that intercooler looks good and saves me some money. So thanks for that little info.

Ok the turbo seemed expensive but I'm not sure what to look for in the turbos, but i'll do more research and search around for some cheaper ones that are just as good.

yeah the exhaust i planned on replacing because it's dented up and i don't know what size or brand or anything about it. I was told awhile back that the SRS TYPE-R1 CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE 95-99 GST from ebay would be good, but not sure. the seller is shopsmartautoparts.

ok Innovate i will get, but which one? iugrad92turbo said the LC1 but i didn't see it on there site. I only saw the LC2 is that the same just a newer version?

Thanks, this is helping me out huge. Any other opinions would help.

i do know the exhaust on it now doesn't have the catalytic converter. it's a straight pipe or the race version? of the cat.

ok then Fel-pro it is, but which one? just the headgasket (Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS Head Gasket or FELPRO CYLINDER HEAD GASKET, STEEL CORE LAMINATE) or the kit (Fel-Pro Head Gasket Set : Mitsubishi Eclipse 2G 7-Bolt). Not sure but i know the perma torque is expensive, but i found it where i can get a package deal with arp studs.

The permatorque is the MLS gasket, you would have to deck the block and head surface. From the suggestion you are receiving, your goal is attainable with Felpro Composite Felpro HG 9627PT . This gasket set is the upper i found for 2g 7 bolt EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

Alright that intercooler looks good and saves me some money. So thanks for that little info.

Ok the turbo seemed expensive but I'm not sure what to look for in the turbos, but i'll do more research and search around for some cheaper ones that are just as good.

If 800 is your budget, You can get the FP68hta or the FP Black..Both awesome and on sale for the holidays Forced Performance Turbochargers: DSM Turbochargers

yeah the exhaust i planned on replacing because it's dented up and i don't know what size or brand or anything about it. I was told awhile back that the SRS TYPE-R1 CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE 95-99 GST from ebay would be good, but not sure. the seller is shopsmartautoparts.

Whats your budget? The SRS will do good, Check out Thermal research for around 600:thumb:

ok Innovate i will get, but which one? iugrad92turbo said the LC1 but i didn't see it on there site. I only saw the LC2 is that the same just a newer version?

The LC2 is next gen that just came out, it up to you. Here is a link to the LC1 STM: INNOVATE DB GAUGES | LC1 | 3795 | 3793 | 3796 | 3794

Thanks, this is helping me out huge. Any other opinions would help.

i do know the exhaust on it now doesn't have the catalytic converter. it's a straight pipe or the race version? of the cat.
If its a straight tube, then the cat was replaced, usually looks like this :
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I also recommend a full timing kit oem mitsubishi.I hope this helps :thumb:

If 800 is your budget, You can get the FP68hta or the FP Black..Both awesome and on sale for the holidays Forced Performance Turbochargers: DSM Turbochargers

Really? A FP Black when his goal is 310hp ROFL . Did you look at his mod list? There's no way in hell his car would support a FB Black. That turbo would probably spool right around...never RPMs.

Just get the Fel-Pro composite gasket (FEL-PRO Part # 9627PT). It is available at most part store chains, as well as many places online. I'd reccomend just using the link I posted, and buying from Rockauto, because they are cheap and awesome. I usually order most of my stuff through them, and can usually use their pricing to see how badly I'm getting gouged by the local parts chains: 1995 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE Cylinder Head Gasket

I forgot to point this out, but as WES said, make sure any 16G you get is a genuine MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries). You'll find stories here and there about users who have had luck with Ebay turbos, but more often then not they fail and cause damage. Here's a good place to start reading about 16G MHI vs Ebay turbos: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...-i-have-real-evo3-turbo-ebay-16g-turbo-2.html

Unless it's a very extreme dent, it won't really effect how the exhaust functions. I wouldn't replace it solely because it is dented. If it works, then go with it. No need to spend money that's already been spent by someone else IMO. Just figure out if it is a full system, what the interior diameter of the tubing is, and if you have a cat or test pipe installed.

I actually didn't know Innovate had an LC2 out. I'm sure the LC2 would work fine, but I have always personally used the LC1 with my ECMlink setups. I searched around quickly on the ECMtuning forums, and didn't see any mention of anyone using the LC2 yet (although I'm sure someone is). To be safe, I would try and pick up a LC1 just to ensure compatibility. Maybe someone here using a LC2 on their ECMlink setup can chime in. If you don't already have a turbo timer, I would recommend the Innovate auto timer/WB kit. I had this installed on my Galant VR4, and it was awesome. A turbo timer should be on your mod list anyways :thumb:
Innovate Auto Timer + LC-1 Cable + O2 Sensor KIT

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? A FP Black when his goal is 310hp ROFL . Did you look at his mod list? There's no way in hell his car would support a FB Black. That turbo would probably spool right around...never RPMs.

Is this your project ?? :rolleyes: The o.p. has mentioned he wants 550s and a walbro 255 and a turbo budget of 800 on a t28. You assumingly mentioned the 310 hp mark, that does not mean he has to. Surely we would recommend bigger injectors, an afpr,rewired pump, tuning device to handle a bigger turbo. I merely suggested the Fp black for future proof should he want more horsepower and for 800 if he wanted. But a 68hta or MHI 16g used can get the job done. Most of this discussion has been about a head rebuild and prep, that does not mean we choose what direction he goes in power..

Is this your project ?? :rolleyes: The o.p. has mentioned he wants 550s and a walbro 255 and a turbo budget of 800 on a t28. You asumingly mentioned the 310 hp mark, that does not mean he has to. Surely we would recommend bigger injectors, an afpr, and rewired pump to handle a bigger turbo. I merely suggested the Fp black for future proof should he want more horsepower. But a 68hta or MHI 16g used can get the job done. Most of this discussion has been about a head rebuild and prep, that does not mean we choose what direction he goes in power..

Actually, I didn't assume anything. He cited a 310hp goal in his very first post. Not to mention, 550 injectors would never supply the amount of fuel required to support that turbo.

The reason I even said something is because the OP said and I quote:

Don't recommend the guy a FP Black when it's way outside his build, and he doesn't have a lot of knowledge about turbos in general. Look at his mod list, look at his goals, and then recommend him something that will work for him. If you don't, he going to end up with a bunch of conflicting info that's not going to help him do anything but have a pile of useless expensive parts in the garage.

[/QUOTE] Don't recommend the guy a FP Black when it's way outside his build, and he doesn't have a lot of knowledge about turbos in general. Look at his mod list, look at his goals, and then recommend him something that will work for him. If you don't, he going to end up with a bunch of conflicting info that's not going to help him do anything but have a pile of useless expensive parts in the garage.[/QUOTE]

Hmm my apologies on not reading the first post where he mentions the 310hp...no worries scratch the FP Black!!! Excuse me for infusing some enthusiasm for a bigger build..But for 310hp, fine 16g or 68hta ftw.

P.S. Your comments are too direct like "Dont Recommend". I dont need you to school me and others as i have noticed in other threads, it is disrespectful. Please tone down a bit, we all have opinions and knowledge to share on this forum.

P.S. Your comments are too direct like "Dont Recommend". I dont need you to school me and others as i have noticed in other threads, it is disrespectful. Please tone down a bit, we all have opinions and knowledge to share on this forum.

Look man, I'm not trying to school you, or anyone else. I'm giving the most accurate information possible based on the situation and my experiences. If I post BS, then I expect to get called on it, as should you.

If facts are too "direct", then get used to me being "disrespectful". I'm trying to help the OP reach his goal, not fill his head with hopes and dreams that aren't attainable for his personal goals. If you want to infuse some enthusiasm for a bigger build, that's great. But you should word it in a way that suggests that is what you are doing, so people aren't confusing that with being given factual advice.

Look man, I'm not trying to school you, or anyone else. I'm giving the most accurate information possible based on the situation and my experiences. If I post BS, then I expect to get called on it, as should you.

If facts are too "direct", then get used to me being "disrespectful". I'm trying to help the OP reach his goal, not fill his head with hopes and dreams that aren't attainable for his personal goals. If you want to infuse some enthusiasm for a bigger build, that's great. But you should word it in a way that suggests that is what you are doing, so people aren't confusing that with being given factual advice.
Fair enough, so be it. I post facts as well but for 310, I dont mind recommending an FP 68hta like you did if a used 16g can't be found. I have had great results with the 68hta. I can speak from experience, and do not want the OP to have some confusion either.

Alright thanks for everything. So now I just need to look for a decent turbo and possibly (most likely) an exhaust system. That's just because he never put a down pipe and just welded parts together. I do believe it's not a test pipe though because it does get wider where the cat would be so possibly a high flow? If it's a 16g then i'll go with MHI. if it's any other then i'll look around on here a little to see. The exhaust system i'll look around and look into thermal, but it's not my biggest concern since the exhaust I have isn't completely bad overall.
Then also I will get the innovate Lc-1 (most likely) maybe lc-2 if I can find info on it and if it's compatible and i'll get it with the turbo timer.
So here's what I have gotten from yall so far:

-Megan turbo manifold
-VRSF intercooler kit
-Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
-EMLink V3 (send to get socketed)
-Brian Crower Camshafts 272/272
-FIC 550cc injectors
-MAP Beehive valve spring kit w/retainers (evo 8/9)
-AFPR fuel lab regulator
-APR cylinder head studs
-FEL-PRO 9627PT head gasket
-Innovate Auto TURBO Timer + LC-1 Cable + O2 Sensor KIT
-16g turbo MHI
-exhaust system

I think that's all but if I missed anything let me know. Thanks for all the great info so far though. Helps me out greatly.

-Megan turbo manifold
-VRSF intercooler kit
-FIC 550cc injectors
-AFPR fuel lab regulator
-APR cylinder head studs
-16g turbo MHI
-exhaust system

Unless you're going to remove the head anyway, I feel like Cams, headgasket and head studs are unnecessary ~300hp and a lot of extra work.

Im running a 14b @ 25lbs on a stock side mount intercooler without a great tune and still making ~300 awhp. I am dealing with heat soak tho so an FMIC is in the near future for me.

You can pick up a 14b for like $100 online too instead of like 400-500 for a MHI 16g.

-Megan turbo manifold
-VRSF intercooler kit
-FIC 550cc injectors
-AFPR fuel lab regulator
-APR cylinder head studs
-16g turbo MHI
-exhaust system

I think that's all but if I missed anything let me know. Thanks for all the great info so far though. Helps me out greatly.

Unless you're going to be removing the head anyway, Cams, headgasket and studs are unnecessary for 300hp goals and a lot of extra work.

Im running a 14b at 25lbs without a great tune and im still making ~300 awhp, with a factory side mount intercooler. I am running into heat soak tho so a FMIC is in the near future for me.

You can pick up a 14b for like $100 online instead of $400-500 for a MHI 16g. Then later on down the road you can have a 14b rebuilt into a 16/18/20g.

-Megan turbo manifold
-VRSF intercooler kit
-FIC 550cc injectors
-AFPR fuel lab regulator
-APR cylinder head studs
-16g turbo MHI
-exhaust system

Unless you're going to be removing the head anyway, Cams, headgasket and studs are unnecessary for 300hp goals and a lot of extra work.

Im running a 14b at 25lbs without a great tune and im still making ~300 awhp, with a factory side mount intercooler. I am running into heat soak tho so a FMIC is in the near future for me.

You can pick up a 14b for like $100 online instead of $400-500 for a MHI 16g. Then later on down the road you can have a 14b rebuilt into a 16/18/20g.

I would not get the Megan turbo manifold, you can reach your goals on a stock manifold. If you were getting it because there is something wrong with your stock manifold and you need a replacement than get an FP manifold.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back