The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DOHC Lock for cam gears and timing belt change?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin4Ever

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2005
Moses Lake, Washington
Anyone here used any of the DOHC locks they sell? I see there are many available online, like Amzon and etc. Ranging from as low as $25 on up to $200.

I'm curious if there are any that are not too expensive that
work well for the 4g63?

I use zip ties but I have seen those tools

I use zip ties but I have seen those tools

If you use zip ties, can you tell me, let's say you are changing the timing belt, it's at TDC, what do you zip ithe cams t to that will keep it in time the whole time? Can it hold it in perfect time while you remove old belt and put new belt on.

I used the clips, but of course that will not hold it while changing the belts.

that is worth buying if you want to change your timing belt. i have used it in the past and never failed me yet. beats using zip ties!

well what you have to do is line up all of the timing marks and then place the lock.

im not sure about 1g but 2g is remove the motor mount, lift the engine slightly, remove the covers, compress the tensioner (put a pin) and remove all of the necessary belts and etc out of the way. and reverse the order once done.

Ive used one of those tools in the past but i prefer using zip ties myself. Not hard at all once you do it once with the zip ties.

The only tools I've ever used if the battery-hold-down bolt/tensioner tool, and an allen key in the tensioner hole. I put a spring clip on the intake cam gear, and use a wrench to turn the ex. cam back one tooth. Sometimes it slips before I can get the belt back over all the sprockets and put tension on it. But it's nowhere near as frustrating as trying to put the cover back on without breaking it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back