The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Crankshaft bolt placement question, what goes here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstTimeDSM

Probationary Member
Aug 18, 2018
Missoula, Montana
I tried to lookup where this bolt goes and found a few people that had a similar setup. When I put the oil pump in it looks like everything lines up except maybe that bolt is for a brace?

Talking about the only bolt on the girdle/crank caps that has an extention.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That small bolt part thats on the main cap is threaded for the oil pickup tube bracket. The oil pickup tube uses 2 bolts to attatch to the oil pump and that bolt thats on the main cap for a small bracket off the side of the oil pick up tube.

Yep, it’s a mounting point for a support off the original oil pickup screen tube.

Below is a section view of the 6-bolt engine from the technical information manual, you can see the tube has an extra leg for support going to that bolt.

As an aside, the “R” main cap is on backwards. The arrows for all caps should be pointing towards the front (belt side) of the engine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Interestingly enough, my pickup tube doesn't have the brace, but it's a 1g block, so, things should still be fine with my bolt positioning (in block) and my pickup tube (without brace)?

Yes. The 2g 7 bolt motors do not use a brace on their pickup tubes and I cut my brace's off of my 6 bolt pickups, since I run ARP studs usually. A 2g pickup will even work if you didn't have the proper 6 bolt pickup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back