The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Coolant Temp Sensor??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nxlx88

Probationary Member
Jan 29, 2003
dayton_ohio
hey all, i was just wondering what is some of the things the car will do if the coolant temp sensor doesn't work.. thanks:talon:

Hey guys sorry to bring this outta nowhere. But it seems like this might fall in my area.
Im getting a cel (p0125) for closed loop temp not reached. Would my temp sensor cause this? (the little flat pin one)
I just replaced the sensor to turn the fan on cause it was not coming on. Also I was having a problem with the idle (around 2000) when I first start it its at 900 then goes up to previous said. It gets higher when I minus air off afc. I idle adj. screw is al the way out how can I fix that? Thanks

The single pin connector is for your dash gauge, the double pin is for your ecu. The CEL is probably because of the double pin connector... I just priced one at NAPA and it was $11... :)

hey im having some similar problems. Temp guage seems stuck? at like almost 3/4 of the way. On my way home from the movies i noticed it was a little high, since it normally hangs around 1/2, and since then ive came home and it hasnt gone down at all. When i unlpug the bigger plug on the back of the t-stat housing my fans come on, but didnt come on earlier when the car was hot? Hoses seem hot, but almost not as pressurized as normal. What do you guys think?

well the more i read about it maybe its just the guage sensor and the rest is just in my head.

hey im having some similar problems. Temp guage seems stuck? at like almost 3/4 of the way. On my way home from the movies i noticed it was a little high, since it normally hangs around 1/2, and since then ive came home and it hasnt gone down at all. When i unlpug the bigger plug on the back of the t-stat housing my fans come on, but didnt come on earlier when the car was hot? Hoses seem hot, but almost not as pressurized as normal. What do you guys think?

I think: thermostat in upside down, bad radiator cap, or bad thermostat.

Well i tested the guage by grounding it out and it went all the way past hot like it should, i then plugged it back up and started the car and the guage was down at cold where it should be. I drove it around a bit now and all seems fine, so not sure what was up with it to get stuck like that. I do have a CEL that i will get scanned because i just thought it was me not having my rear o2 in my exhaust, but now with this mess i guess it could be the ECU temp sensor. I also was a bit low on antifreeze and so i filled it up and now the pressure on the hoses seems back to normal. Guess i will just keep a watch on it and get the code scanned and see what happens.

Looks like my coolant temp sensor went out and I never knew that would make it hard to start the car. Going to pick up a new one within the next couple of days so hopefully the starting issue will go away and the CEL was on throwing the coolant temp sensor code.

Ive been reading and people say they have had a hard time getting the correct sensor. Why is that? Hearing this makes me want to just pay the $60 from the dealership. Got me nervous from ordering online or at a parts store.

48551d1111028022-how-do-i-replace-coolant-temp-sensor-coolant-sensor.jpg

most likely its the Coolant temperature sensor, mine went out and what has been described seems to be the issue. replace the following if you havn't already since getting the car:

thermostat-$15
ECT-1 pin-left side of thermostat inlet pipe.$15
Coolant sensor-thermostat housing-2pin connection$20
radiator cap-special release valve is what i prefer-$8

the reason for this is because the coolant system is a pain in the ass, make sure everything is running as smooth as you can. After fixing all of these in my car it ran awesome again, a total of $60

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back