The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Coolant Temp Sensor??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nxlx88

Probationary Member
Jan 29, 2003
dayton_ohio
hey all, i was just wondering what is some of the things the car will do if the coolant temp sensor doesn't work.. thanks:talon:

i don't think were talking about the same sensor i'm talking about the one the connect right next to the radiator cap

Originally posted by nxlx88
hey all, i was just wondering what is some of the things the car will do if the coolant temp sensor doesn't work.. thanks:talon:
Well, first you'll throw a code and the check engine light will come on. Also, the car will be hard to start. It will also probably run rich so your gas mileage will go down. If the coolent temp sensor goes, the car goes into failsafe mode. According to the service manual, it will act as if your car is running at normal operating temperature all the time. This means it won't inject extra fuel to get the car started which is why it's harder to start. They're pretty cheap and easy to replace. Keep in mind, there are 3 coolent sensors too. 1 goes to the ECU which is the one I've been talking about. 1 goes to your temp guage, and 1 goes to your front fan. What are your symptoms?

Actually 4 on a 1g. Cluster gauge, ECU, A/C switch (if you have A/C), and Rad fan switch (located under the fan on the radiator).

Wiz

I originally had 4 in my post and then changed my mind. I knew there was another one in there somewhere. :)

:confused: coolant temp sensor? if it's bad, can this cause my car to run poorly, and idle bad? and even run lean at times?

mine went bad a couple months ago. took forever for the car to start and it idled bad and just kinda ran like crap. picked one up at the junk yard for free, works fine now :thumb:

yeah my car ran awesome, and then started to slowly, lose power and then jus run crappy,I have no acceleration, and if I push the car you can tell it's struggling to go, almost like when you have a intercooler pipe leak, so autozone has a new replace ment for $28, I will get it ,replace it and let you guy's know for sure if this is the cause. It's hard to believe this thing would cause all these problems! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Attachments

• side-2.jpg
    side-2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,801
are you getting a CEL at all because when mine went out i got a CEL and pulled the code from my palm and found out that it was the coolant sensor.

If you have a bad coolant temp sensor it will start and run rough, you will have to feather the gas to keep it running. However once the car throws a CEL which it will, it will switch the ECU to alternate fuel map to make the car idle. It will run decent when its warm but once it cools down you will have the same problems. The car will also idle lumpy because the fuel map it switches to is just a raw fuel map to limp the car along.

CRAIG

Terbo;

Did you solve your idle issues? I am having similar problems except idle is good cold and then when it warms up it is erratic. The car stalls quite often and seems to need more fuel (idles low, approx. 500 or so). Also my boost guage reads 0 vacuum at idle.

Can anybody offer suggestions?

Thanks in advance

My roomates car had a bad coolant temp sensor when we bought it. The car would start and idle correctly. I would watch the temps rise with the logger, then all of a sudden it would rise to a certain point where the sensor just whacked out the whole thing. The temps would be like 113 then next thing I knew the logger was reading -155 or something. The sensor is cheap and not very hard to replace. Just drain plenty of coolant out of the radiator or you'll end up with a mess.

could someone post a labelled picture of these sensors so i know which one i can remove so i can replace it with and aftermarket sensor for a gauge

do the 2g's have one for a/c?

Sender in the overflow = low coolant sender
One wire sender in t-stat housing = stock temp gauge
Two wire sender in t-stat housing = ECU coolant temp sender
Two wire sender in the bottom of the radiator = Radiator fan switch

For a 1g BTW, 2g should be same/similar

I believe I have the same problem then if it is just the coolant temp sensor than shit I will replace it. Cause it gets warm and runs like shit at idle but when in motion she is a beaut.

my coolant temp sensor went out, and my car wouldnt start when cold, it was hard to even compression start it. pulled the code, saw it was the coolant temp sensor, slapped a new one in there, and she ran like new ;D

How many wires does the A/C switch sensor have?

I have what looks like a two wire sensor coming out of the front of the thermostat housing, under the main house that is cut off. The car has the A/C removed..so I am thinking the previous owner snipped the wires.

I am just checking though. Does this sound like the A/C sensor?

A picture of all four sensors on a 1G would rock if someone has it.

PS...I have no symptoms. Fan comes on, gauge works, and I don't *think* I am in safe mode. I am just being super anal.

Later,
Patrick

That would explain why my car runs rich, the sensor that taps into the thermostat body hasnt been connected in years.

I've been having the same problem with my OEM temp gauge, also my HVAC doesn't kick over at all when I turn the switch????? Could it be that some of the wires that attached to the thermostat are affecting all of this?? I check all of my fuses, and they are all fine. I also just ordered a new thermostat and rad cap, but haven't received them yet ( hopefully that helps with the temp gauge)...... :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back