The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

BW S256 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By the way my turbo that i have now is ET compressor it has a 52mm inducer 80mm exducer its called a S2BG and i see them all the time.

I've seen some of these around. What housing are you running with that turbo?

It's the turbo thats on my car now with a BP bolt on housing for the 64/74mm turbine. Im switching to the s258 nonET turbo in the next few days so i will see how it fairs i want at least 45lb/min at 20psi so we will see. By the way for further info almost all the S-series turbos were john deere it's just a matter of finding them with no help from BP. I have now puchased 3 borg-warner turbos (S2BG-52mmET) (S200-056-52mm nonET) (S2BS-033 57mm nonET) 1being ET so i will keep it up and get the numbers out there.

I found a S2BG dirt cheap and was skeptical on buying it and not being able to find a housing for it. What other turbo's could you compare it to?

Here's some good S256 dyno testing that's just been done by Keith at Pure-Tuning in Florida.
This is on 2 different 4g63 setups. He used a .55 a/r and a .70 a/r. The 2 setups were completely different except that they were both 4g63 - NOT HONDA or SCION. For a change. LOL

BorgWarner S256 Dyno Results! - evolutionm.net

Note this was on a Mustang dyno which everybody says reads low, especially when compared with Dynojet.

Check out Keith's comments in post #13. Here's a little bit of it:
I'll say that the 2.0L reved crazy fast through the power band. I thought it reved fast on the dyno when I tuned it, but when I took it to the street, third gear is completely unusable because you run into traffic fast when 100mph comes in 2-3seconds.

Way to go Pure-Tuning!

Gary

great info! thanks for posting it up!

I cant wait to get my hands on a bolt on s256. I'll definatly have it on my car by summertime!!

Pic of the fore mentioned fitting. Hole still seems a bit small, but maybe it's just me.

I'm buying an S258 Shortly - Where'd you guys get those flanges? and also I have a oil drain flange/line for a TO4B Vtrim (10an Braid) is that going to work, or am I going to need different bolts and a new flange? I heard these are British pipe thread correct?

I'm buying an S258 Shortly - Where'd you guys get those flanges? and also I have a oil drain flange/line for a TO4B Vtrim (10an Braid) is that going to work, or am I going to need different bolts and a new flange? I heard these are British pipe thread correct?

I got mine straight from David at BEP.

I ordered a flange from Bullseye to take care of the oil feed. It takes care of the fact that the Borg Warner turbos use a BPT (British Pipe Thread), as well as any possible sealing issues. The flange also has a built in .080" restrictor, which will take care of any oil pressure issues.

Contrary to what I was told, not everything from a Garrett oil drain kit will fit. I'm using a flange/push-lock setup, and while the flange fits perfectly, the bolts do not. The bolts originally on the Bullseye T04B 50 trim were M10x1.5 25, while the bolts that go in the S256 were M8x1.25 25. Just be aware that you will need two new bolts!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/273389-borg-warner-s200-bullseye-s256-review.html

Here's some good S256 dyno testing that's just been done by Keith at Pure-Tuning in Florida.
This is on 2 different 4g63 setups. He used a .55 a/r and a .70 a/r. The 2 setups were completely different except that they were both 4g63 - NOT HONDA or SCION. For a change. LOL

BorgWarner S256 Dyno Results! - evolutionm.net

Note this was on a Mustang dyno which everybody says reads low, especially when compared with Dynojet.

Check out Keith's comments in post #13. Here's a little bit of it:

Way to go Pure-Tuning!

Gary
The thing I don't like about the test is that the setups are completely different,however the #'s look good but are very peaky and laggy on the 2.3L setup.

He should put an entire TS setup on the 2.3L and see what he gets.

Don't like the comparison at all if I'm comparing both turbo setups. Too many variables.

The thing I don't like about the test is that the setups are completely different,however the #'s look good but are very peaky and laggy on the 2.3L setup.

He should put an entire TS setup on the 2.3L and see what he gets.

Don't like the comparison at all if I'm comparing both turbo setups. Too many variables.

Yes, I don't think he really was doing this to compare the 2 turbine housings though. I think he just wanted to show the range of possibilities with this turbo.
The 2 liter with .55a/r housing, 22psi, 93 octane no meth, that is the one I really like.
When you compare this at different rpm points to a 50 trim under similar conditions, the S256 looks pretty good. I know, you can find a wide range of 50 trim dyno results, but here's a pretty good one that I like to use for comparison purposes:
Automoto Sports Copyright&copy AMS 2006
At the bottom of this page, one of the dyno charts is for a 2 liter with the good AMS bolt-ons, with 50 trim tested at 21psi 93 oct, and 27 psi 104 octane.
Pure-Tuning's results at 22psi 93 oct look quite a bit better than the AMS 50 at 21 psi 93 oct, and almost as good as the AMS 50 at 27 psi 104 oct. The AMS was on a Dynojet besides, so I'm thinking the .55 a/r S256 looks mighty good compared to the ball bearing 50 trim Garrett.

Gary

I got it from BEP as well. Did anyone get the threaded drain flange as well? Just wondering what you guys did with that? I wanted to just throw a barbed fitting on there and then clamp on a drain line, but the guy at the hardware store said that it's not the right design of fitting to just screw on a barbed fitting. I'm not hardware expert, so just wondering what you all are using.

I re-used the Garrett drain line with different sized bolts. M8x1.25 IIRC, it's in my review thread somewhere.

Hey guys, here is a little log. I just got the car back together after a little winter break (although it is snowing right now) and am starting to tune the S256 again.

Here is my first log, at 16psi in 2nd gear. It isn't much of one. I wasn't even full throttle, but take a look at the airflow, gm3.3bar, and hp estimate. I will have to get a log of low rpm full throttle, so spool up characteristics can be seen

It looks like boost est is about 1 psi more, but I am running a stock mas with fake maf currently turned off. Air temps look to be 62 degrees, so airflow is looking to be pretty close. HP estimate is showing 323WHP with zero drivetrain loss entered. I am at 6000ft.

Don't pay attention to my PLXWB. It was reading way leaner than normal because of an exhaust leak. I fixed that this evening.

Remember, this is on a bolt on housing and I let off at around 6800-7000 rpm.

Josh

Attachments

• 4-16-082nd.dat
    6 KB · Views: 99
Any updates on these S256's with a bolt on housing or the S258's? :confused:

The car is, knock on wood, running great right now. I have had a few problems here and there, but have worked through them.

The car now has a Dynatek ARC-2 on it with plugs gapped to .032. Runs great at 32PSI to 8000rpm+. I did the Saturn alternator swap and that fixed my charging issues under full boost and also gave my fuel pump just enough to keep me at around 11.9:1 with E85. The next thing I have to do it looks like is, tune my ve table and use fake maf and use MAP. I have needed to do that starting at around 29PSI.

I just haven't had as much time lately, because work got really busy. I hope to have it to the track and/or dyno soon.

Josh

check out this thread, there's been quite a bit lately:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/273389-borg-warner-s200-bullseye-s256-review-9.html#post151537239

and maybe AWDer will post some updates too!

Gary

Yeah, I've been watching that thread along with a few others but I just cant get enough info to push me over the edge on my choices. I've been looking at the SCM6152 (haven't decided in journal or DBB yet) and also these Borg Warner turbos. I have a thread going over here, I just can't make up my mind.

I have an S256 on my car, but I spun a rod bearing before I had a chance to really push it at all. Now I'm getting an engine built for it (or as Jst4Cyl would say, I'm letting another guy boink my wife hoping she'll get pregnant so I can brag about it :) - although I see it more like sending my wife to a plastic surgeon to get bigger boobs and I get to brag about boinking her; afterall, the fun is in driving the car which the engine builder doesn't get to do) and hopefully I'll get some results before the summer is over. I also am using the bolt on housing like AWDER. I'm probably only looking to make 450whp max, so that isn't a real problem for me. When I'm ready for more power, if the bolt on housing won't accomodate that, I'll upgrade to the bigger T3.

I have an S256 on my car, but I spun a rod bearing before I had a chance to really push it at all. Now I'm getting an engine built for it (or as Jst4Cyl would say, I'm letting another guy boink my wife hoping she'll get pregnant so I can brag about it :) - although I see it more like sending my wife to a plastic surgeon to get bigger boobs and I get to brag about boinking her; afterall, the fun is in driving the car which the engine builder doesn't get to do) and hopefully I'll get some results before the summer is over. I also am using the bolt on housing like AWDER. I'm probably only looking to make 450whp max, so that isn't a real problem for me. When I'm ready for more power, if the bolt on housing won't accomodate that, I'll upgrade to the bigger T3.

:D I like the quote. My reasoning is that this way you can only be mad at yourself if something fails. I'd rather be mad at myself rather than be out $500-$1200 for a build.

I too am looking for around that 450-550hp range.

What kind of boost were you seeing (rpm wise) ?

Do you have any logs of it?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I hear that, but somebody else is going to be doing something on your car - you aren't building your own turbo or forging your own pistons or even doing your own machine work. There will always be plenty of opportunities for someone else to screw up your car.

Also, perhaps instead of saying "then you brag about it when she gets pregnant" you could instead say, "then you complain about it when she catches something" (ie, a metaphore for when you and your car suffer for the builder's mistake).

I didn't get any good logs with the new turbo. Mostly just tuning the fuel trims.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back