The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

BW S256 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been working on tuning this thing with the help of some guys over on the Link forums. The last log I did, I was seeing 25psi at 5k RPM, flowing up to 47lbs/min. I did turn the MBC up a little bit later on this evening. Not sure what boost I was at, but I'm guessing around 30psi. This thing is really starting to haul some arse.

GOD #&*(# I miss my car! *bangs head on desk*

Soo anyway, would you guys recommend the S256 to someone that currently has a MHI Evo III 16g? I am looking for a tad over 400 at the wheels now. My goal WAS 380whp with the evo turbo. But I really don't want to have to use meth to reach it cause I know one day I will forget to fill that shit LOL.

Note: I hate and I mean HATE lag. Some where in this thread I think I read someone saying there S256 setup spooled before 4k...if so I think I could live with that.

Lag should not be an issue when you are looking at a larger turbo. I don't, and I'm assuming you don't eather need 400awhp to get around town haha. I'm still on the 14b and I barely see 5 psi when I am driving around town. The 56, should spool a little sooner than that, that almost sound like a 58 spool time.

Some where in this thread I think I read someone saying there S256 setup spooled before 4k...if so I think I could live with that.

Yeah, it can and has been done, but it probably isn't the norm for a 2.0L. That is what you'll see with some free flowing strokers, but with a 2.0L with 2.5" exhaust (what you have), you probably wouldn't see full boost below 4500rpm. Of course, everyone's car is different. I'd use your E3 16g spool up as a guide. Where does it hit full spool? I'd say an S256 will hit about 500-800rpm later.

On the other hand, instead of having to pull out all the tricks to hit the number, hitting 400whp on an S256 will be child's play.

Also just yesterday I built a new boost leak tester for the larger turbo, and found one pretty good sized boost leak at the BOV flange, and a couple smaller ones. So the car is back down until I can fix those. Hopefully that'll help it spool even sooner.

500-800rpm more... Well my Evo III spools around low 3,000 I don't recall now, I will have to look at logs but hell it's not got the best compression (not horrible but not like new either) soo once I rebuild the engine...hell I just might get one of these bitches!

Note: By that time something else will most likely be out LOL.

well if we are posting idle video's of our dsm's with BW turbos on em i guess ill join!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Osjnws53dio&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Osjnws53dio&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

500-800rpm more... Well my Evo III spools around low 3,000 I don't recall now, I will have to look at logs but hell it's not got the best compression (not horrible but not like new either) soo once I rebuild the engine...hell I just might get one of these bitches!

Note: By that time something else will most likely be out LOL.

Yep, then I think you'd be pretty happy with an S256. The only other thing to consider is that often people talk about when their 16g spools to 18psi, but when they are talking about a bigger turbo they are talking about when it spools to 25+psi. A lot of bigger turbos spool a lot faster than people give them credit for because they aren't comparing apples to apples. My S256 was making as much power at 14psi as my E3 16g made at 18psi, so when you factor that in, the difference in spool up was even less. One thing I noticed that was slower was if I was already at 5000rpm and floored it, a 16g would spool up faster than you could get your foot on the floor, but the Borg took a little more time.

It is just a bit more sluggish whenever you are at 0 boost and floor it. I guess the bigger wheels resist intitial motion, but once it starts moving, this turbo spools up fast compared to other 55-60lb/min turbos. I've seen logs where turbos this size hit 5psi at 3500rpm and still don't reach full boost until 4500rpm or later. With this turbo going from 5psi to full boost is fast - it almost reminds me of a 16g in this respect. But 0-5psi is quite a bit slower than a 16g.

I finally got around to playing with my internally gated S256 today and while the lag is definitely noticeable (I'm upgrading from a 14b). Like thiazole said, once it begins to build boost it doesn't want to stop. I was getting 24 PSI by 4200RPM and this is with a EVO3 manifold and O2 housing plus a 3" high flow cat. I've attached a log for your viewing pleasure.

I'm sure the severely retarded timing didn't help spool either, but there's no way I can run more than 18 PSI on California 91 octane without putting the engine in danger. I was actually still getting nearly 3 degrees of retard and my crappy slim fans can't keep the coolant temp below 200 degrees, so there's definitely room for improvement in my setup. I can't wait to get my hands on meth injection!

Attachments

• run07042008-7.dat
    13 KB · Views: 76
Avionixx,
After looking at that log you need to do more tuning, I wouldn't be looking at meth just yet. but you say you were only running 18psi? The Boost est was showing 34.2psi at one point, thats pretty far off. Jump on the Link forums and post that log, and look at the some of the basic's of setting your fuel trims etc. Once it's dialed in you might find you can do more on 91 than you think. Although it is still a major limiting factor..

*Edit*
LoL I knew it, you have a GM MAFT setup like myself, although it seems yours is a bit further off than mine. I still need to dial mine in but it's not as far off as yours. Thats how it goes with the GM MAFT setup though LOL some are on the money some are way off, but once that is dialed in that should help a lot. Again check the Link forums there is some stuff posted there on dialing in the GM MAFT setups. And with that much knock for now anyway I would pull some timing untill you get everything sorted out, then you can add it back in latter.

That run was done around 20 PSI; I was having a little spiking and creeping there, but it was over 20. I have everything under 2400Hz pretty much spot on, but after going past 3000Hz I noticed the MAFT was seriously off calibration. I'm going to have at it again tomorrow and see if I can get any improvement and post my results.

No, you're way off at 2000 and 2400 Hz and you are a little bit off at 1600Hz, all showing too much air which is causing you to run pig rich. You are probably running less than 9:1. If you fixed this, you could probably pick up 50+hp. Boost est should only match the actual boost from about 5-6000rpm. Below 5000 and above 6000, boost est should be LOWER than actual boost. Yours it like 6-8psi higher than actual boost above 6000 and at 4400rpm your boost est shows 34psi and your actual boost is 26psi. That means your ECU is adding about 30% extra fuel above what it would normally add which is usually very conservative to begin with. That is probably where your knock is coming from - rich knock.

Any new updates on this turbo? Loads of good info on this thread :)

Does an s200 series turbo need an oil line? And if so which one would be good and would an in line filter be required?

Considering the price tag. . . most of us will be glad to note that the "old" tech is rather nice. Making great results vs. similar hta and pte billet tech turbos. . .

I understand the whole "outdated tech", but im running an e316g LOL now thats "outdated"! especially when bigger turbos are spooling faster than my tiny one!

Hello, this thread which has been getting new comments today, it kind of died back in 2008.

Also the BW ETT turbos are outdated tech now. Borg Warner is coming out with a new line of turbos made JUST FOR enthusiasts. there ####ing bad ass to put it simply. Check out the EFR turbo's.

www.borgwarnerboosted.com

BorgWarner EFR Turbos | Full-Race.com

Beyond the Dyno: BorgWarner EFR feature set explained <-- READ IT!

Ya when people start buying them and running them, maybe there will be some user information on these turbo's but there are alot of people using the "old" tech that have made some pretty high numbers. Those turbo's look sick but I dont know how many people that can afford them. I really don't consider my s259 ETT to be "old" tech.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back