The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

BW S256 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It started! My girlfriend came over and I let her turn the key for the first start. It took two cranks and fired right up. A quick and perfect start. I did not even have to adjust the TPS with the new throttle body and SMIM. A matter a fact it looks like the only thing I need to do is adjust the timing just slighting with the CAS and I can drive it a little. I used the sutterbox to start seating the rings. Not a leak to be found either.

It was building 5+PSi off the stutterbox at 4500-4750 RPM. I imagine that will only get better as things seat.

This weekend, after some mileage, maybe I can start tuning it and maybe share some logs. If I can get a hold of my digital camera I will try and post some pictures too.

Josh

thats a fresh engine? and you used the studderbox? Big no no in my book. You might be washing down the cyl walls with all that fuel that isnt getting burnt... Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the studderbox cut spark at a certain rpm so that the cyls arent firing, just spraying gas?

Let us know how the s256 works out though! Its still my planned turbo upgrade

Dsmlink's two step it actually a fuel cut. He is building 5-10psi in his garage rather than driving like a maniac on the public streets making the same or more boost. Plus his injectors were dialed in immediately. Just another less violent way to allow the engine to see boost early. It works great and you don't have to risk your life or the car.

Steven

And, Josh already has umpteen dozedn data logs over 30psi on this turbo. He put a good 1000-2000 miles on it and had it tuned before he spun a bearing. I am sure if you guys ask nice, he will share a log.

Steven

Well, it has been a long week with my company, but the car started everytime I went to the garage and I put some miles on it.

Today it received it's first pull. I was only running my base boost, which is 18PSI, and completely untuned other than leaned out five percent to keep it from stumbling because of richness.

Well, the new SMIM and TB are definitely doing their job. It was on a steep climb with horsepower, according to DSMLink. Even where I let off at 8000 RPM, it was still climbing. The butt dyno certainly felt it.

Airflow peaked at 39lbs/min at the measly 18 pounds of boost. This is still on a 2g mas. Also, keep in mind that I am at 6000FT and the car is still untuned. OMG Figure in about 5 more lbs/min or so at sea level, at the same boost and tune. I was very happy to see these great numbers out of it. Also, it was around 60 degrees outside at the time.

Next week will hold much tuning for it and many more miles. I hope to have the tune finished within the next week or so.

Josh

I figured it was time for an update. I have a few hundred miles on the car now and compression is perfect across the board and looks to be within a half a psi of each other.

The turbo is spooling fast. I have it set at 20PSI right now and am not beating on it too much just yet. I am seeing that max boost pressure hits at around 3800-4000 rpm in third gear. That is with the SMIM and BC camshafts. I have not even began to tune for spoolup yet. I would imagine 30PSI should come around 4200 RPMS, give or take a hundred rpm or so. No dyno numbers or anything yet, but my 70-90 time as of today are around 2.0 seconds. My power band seems to still pull steeply until 7500-8000 RPM. I am loving the power band and response in between gears too. Bullseye marketed the turbo to spool fast and hold airflow high.

I can't wait to see what it will ultimately put to the ground. I have not even touched ignition timing yet and a/f is a flat as a board 12:1. Airflow at 20 PSI is still around the low 40 lbs/min, but once again the same setup at sea level would be around mid 40's.

On a side note, the car just recently passed it's emissions. I am running E85 and "had" a cat on the car. The numbers were almost 0 in every category and one of the operators said it looked like a hybrid car's output. LOL :D

Josh

So I will be down tomorrow to pick up my money and we can go finish tuning it?

Well turns out my sweet deal of a turbo was shot. I sent it in to BEP and found out some bad news about it. It was non-ET, center section had a piece broken off, and the compressor wheel was seized up on the shaft. Kind of sucks, but oh well. Solution to the problem was I just ordered up a brand new one then. He said it should ship here in a few days.

S362 w/ V-Band .7 A/R T3 exhaust side!!

Okay, I have not dropped off the planet. I have been tuning the car and driving it around a bit more. Today, I got the boost to 33PSI and IT to 17 degrees, 11.9/1 A/F, and no knock. I still have a little bit of boost left in it too.

I am right at 50 lbs/min at my 5800 ft altitude. That translates to about 54-56 lbs/min at sea level. Not too shabby. I would imagine a balls to the wall tune at around 37-38PSI at Sea Level would net upper 50's or even 60 lbs/min. Intake temps were lower 60's, according to DSMLink.

70-90 times currently are at 1.54 on one run and 1.6 Seconds on another. I did a launch to 90 and came up with 6.86 Seconds in DSMLink. During that run my two shifts were 1.43 seconds and 1.51 seconds. LOL I am not trying to break anything quite yet. So, subtract a shift time from that 0-90 mph accordingly.

Point being, the turbo seems to be working quite well for me. I am seeing full boost of 33PSI by 4300-4400 RPM, at this altitude. I believe, especially when allowed to breathe, this turbo should NEVER be compared to a 50 trim. It does however like higher boost pressures. I am seeing numbers well above friends with GT30Rs. As a Comparison a 50 trim up here at nearly the same boost and mods is flowing around 42-44 lbs/min. A FP3052 at 26PSI was flowing 38-39lbs/min with the stock IM. I have his logs on my computer.

Josh

This is actually on the bolt on. I am going to run it with the bolt on for awhile. I may switch housings in the future, but it is not a definite.

Josh

That's even more insane. Sick numbers through the BEP housing, that'll prove em wrong. :) I think with your airflow and elevation, it might really steer me into the bolt on S258 later this season! especially a beatiful 1.6 70-90.

I know a T3 housing will definitely net some good gains over the bolt on, but the bolt on will certainly get you far too. I am revving to 8250 in first, 8000 in second, and 7500-8000 in every gear above. According to DSMLink I have decent pull of at least flatlined horsepower until then.

Josh

Just so everyone knows, Josh is really g a y . He is actually a lazy g a y . He has also just been afraid to lift his skirt.

Go ahead Josh, share you datalogs. Everyone should be pleasently suprised by them. And Tom, just imagine the potential for you being right at sea level. Josh and I live right at 6000 feet. It also helps we are skilled with dsmlink and have some tricks up our sleeve to maximize everything we can.

Great job Josh. And congratulations. 130mph and sub 11.49 passes coming soon I hope.

Steven

If by G A Y, you mean a guy that dreams about fast cars in his sleep, possibly even more than women OMG, then yes. ;) Although cars are usually given female names. LOL

I don't know about 130mph trap speeds, but at least mid 120's should be doable. 130mph would be nice though. I will shoot low and be happily surprised if I go higher. I am not quite done tuning, so I do know there is a little more left in her still. See, I said "her". LOL

Josh

Share the log butt head. I know the truth fellas. Don't let him try and pull one over on you. He dreams about men laying on his car. Men surrounding his car. Men in his car. And he does occasionally just dream about cars. Never once has he mentioned a woman.

Steven

S362 - smaller of the 2 turbine options BE offers. T3 .70 A/R with V-band out. Just got it today from FedEx. Will be sending the turbine housing, along with the manifold, to a local shop to have them Jet Coated black to help with heat!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

One of our good friends and customers hit the Dyno today with his 05 EVO MR.

We did a custom turbo kit based on a T3 Borg Warner S256, a 2.3L Stroker, Snow Meth Kit and VIP Garage everything else.

31Psi, Pump Gas, Meth Injection..... Here is what it made....

502whp/501wtq

Here is the car....

the car still has more left in it too. We're going to take care of an oil leak he's got and make a short route upper IC pipe and new intake to help the flow a little more and push to about 33psi and see. The 31 was peak PSI, 29psi was the actual constant level.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back