The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

bolt on slowboy gt35r..good or bad ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Initial DSM

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 30, 2003
97 Eclipse gsx, New_York
hey guys i just installed the bolt on gt35r from slowboyracing ..it has the small mitsu turbine housing..i had on the scm61 from pte but sold it and bolted this on..is this an upgrade or pretty much the same turbo i know the comp wheel is the same the only differance is the turbine wheel..this also has the e comp cover..what i wanna know is the bolt on mistu housing hurting me and does the pte mitsu turbine housing flow any better or is it the same as the housing slowboy used on the bolt on gt35r..cause pte rates there turbine housing to .63ar but i dont see how that can be when it looks the saem size as a mitsu turbine housing ...will i gain h/p if i charge to a t3 .63 ar or .82 ar the housings are 225 from pte..heres a pic of the turbo i bought it used with 100 miles on it ..it came with the internal waste gate but i welded the flapper shut and waste gate is on my ex manifold

Attachments

• Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,645
you should really get an external WG with a turbo of that size. you will see more power with the .82 A/R but you must consider the lag that comes with it. I doubt there is much difference between the mitzu turbine housings if any. a GT35R is a good sized turbo and I personally would have got it in a T3, .82.

you will with out a single doubt see more power from the t3 housing. Plain and simple the dsm housing is just to small to be mated to a wheel that size. There has been aton of talk on this subject and people have seen 35hp or more withe that same turbo with a t3 housing over the small mitsu housing. But there is a trade off if you get the Mistu housing its bolt on and you dont need a new dp, manifold etc.

black91awdturbo said:
you will with out a single doubt see more power from the t3 housing. Plain and simple the dsm housing is just to small to be mated to a wheel that size. There has been aton of talk on this subject and people have seen 35hp or more withe that same turbo with a t3 housing over the small mitsu housing. But there is a trade off if you get the Mistu housing its bolt on and you dont need a new dp, manifold etc.

:notgood:

Go check the thread where SBR makes 601whp or something like that with this exact turbo with a external wastegate. The housing is more then adequate to flow enough for big numbers you just need to have the other mods to compliment it. I have a gt14 which is not much diffrent from the 35r (both 65lbs/min dual bb turbos) and I have the bolt on housing and i'm lookin for 500whp as soon as my motor goes back in.

Big turbo + bolt on housing = fast spool and big power:rocks:

So I won't seem naieve yes a bigger t3 housing will make more power but if 600whp isn't enough for you than you shouldn't care about spool or fittment anyway cause your lookin at a not so friendly dd anyway.

The only difference you will notice is the spool will come on 100-200 rpm's sooner than the SCM61, I would upgrade to a S cover to prevent compressor surge at high boost levels.

you guys should understand that most of the time, those tests show some 9.1comp car that is fully prepped. I am talking a Normal build pump gas car it has been shown the t3 housing makes way way more power than the mistu period.

black91awdturbo said:
you guys should understand that most of the time, those tests show some 9.1comp car that is fully prepped. I am talking a Normal build pump gas car it has been shown the t3 housing makes way way more power than the mistu period.

No one ever said anything about the t3 NOT makin more than the bolt on housing.

"Plain and simple the dsm housing is just to small to be mated to a wheel that size."

When you said this is where you went wrong. 600whp sounds like it's mated just fine to me. Not to mention that your wrong about the car being some fully preped car with all these grea bolt on parts and not realistic. Not only was the car pretty basic but they tuned it with a old fashioned I mean 5 knob afc and STOCK ecu no chip or anything. So I think it's safe to say that these turbos were made to put in a bolt on housing. Or if you still think not then maybe you should go tell all the people running 10's with they're fp 3065's that they're bolt on housings are not cutting it.

Slippi84 said:
No one ever said anything about the t3 NOT makin more than the bolt on housing.

"Plain and simple the dsm housing is just to small to be mated to a wheel that size."

When you said this is where you went wrong. 600whp sounds like it's mated just fine to me. Not to mention that your wrong about the car being some fully preped car with all these grea bolt on parts and not realistic. Not only was the car pretty basic but they tuned it with a old fashioned I mean 5 knob afc and STOCK ecu no chip or anything. So I think it's safe to say that these turbos were made to put in a bolt on housing. Or if you still think not then maybe you should go tell all the people running 10's with they're fp 3065's that they're bolt on housings are not cutting it.

fp turbine housings are way way better and flow more then the mitsu bolt on housings

Initial DSM said:
fp turbine housings are way way better and flow more then the mitsu bolt on housings

Where are you getting this miss information from. A 3065 is rated to 65lbs/min, I have a gt14 with the same exact chra and even a smaller exhaust wheel and both turbos are rated to 65lbs/min. Maybe a stock housing like the ones found on a 16g or so are greatly outflowed by the fp housing but not a bolt on housing found on most aftermarket turbos like the gt14 th rs65t scm61 and so on. I take you haven't run these turbos are your a n/t-T but in reality these turbos are so close in most of the power characteristics that any one of them will support 600 hp makin your points and argument void because at 600whp you got to be doing something right.

Slippi84 said:
:notgood:

Go check the thread where SBR makes 601whp or something like that with this exact turbo with a external wastegate. The housing is more then adequate to flow enough for big numbers you just need to have the other mods to compliment it. I have a gt14 which is not much diffrent from the 35r (both 65lbs/min dual bb turbos) and I have the bolt on housing and i'm lookin for 500whp as soon as my motor goes back in.

Big turbo + bolt on housing = fast spool and big power:rocks:

So I won't seem naieve yes a bigger t3 housing will make more power but if 600whp isn't enough for you than you shouldn't care about spool or fittment anyway cause your lookin at a not so friendly dd anyway.
Yes slowboy made 600whp with that turbo but it was at 37psi, The 35r with a .63 a/r t3 hotside has made that power at 30psi. It all depends on what kind of boost and power is wanted.

93AWDTalon1 said:
Yes slowboy made 600whp with that turbo but it was at 37psi, The 35r with a .63 a/r t3 hotside has made that power at 30psi. It all depends on what kind of boost and power is wanted.
this is my point exactly it take 7-10 more psi to make the same power that should show you that the turbing housing is a major choke point. And those fp housing are built to fp's specs so there is some differnce. I am not saying that the Mistu is junk at all I am just saying that the Mitsu is a choke point, I mean if you stepped up to the .83ar you would see that 600hp at a much lower boost level.

black91awdturbo said:
this is my point exactly it take 7-10 more psi to make the same power that should show you that the turbing housing is a major choke point. And those fp housing are built to fp's specs so there is some differnce. I am not saying that the Mistu is junk at all I am just saying that the Mitsu is a choke point, I mean if you stepped up to the .83ar you would see that 600hp at a much lower boost level.

That's great the gt35r made more power on a totaly DIFFRENT car at less psi. You can't compare a turbos on diffrent cars. NO two cars are the same pPERIOD. Listen we already established that the t3 housing will make more power, but callin a housing that is capable of flowing enough to make 600+whp a mismatch and say it's not cuttin it with a turbo like the ones we're talkin about just doesn't make sense. Why not just throw a full t4 1.01ar on there :rolleyes:

Whar I am saying is to me the t3 turbo housing can be had at almost the same cost as the mitsu housing so to me its a no brainer to get the t3. And yes before you say it I do know you have to change things for the t3, but to me its still well worth the cost. And how many people have went over 600hp on this mitsu varient 35r?

black91awdturbo said:
And how many people have went over 600hp on this mitsu varient 35r?

I was just about to say this.

Don't base your "knowledge" on a turbo based on one person (or companies) testing.

And the FP housings are cast with much more thought into them than the SBR/PTE/BEP/whatever housings.

But don't ask me - www.forcedperformance.net

Initial DSM said:
doesn't that also show in the price?

Slippi84 said:
Where are you getting this miss information from. A 3065 is rated to 65lbs/min, I have a gt14 with the same exact chra and even a smaller exhaust wheel and both turbos are rated to 65lbs/min. Maybe a stock housing like the ones found on a 16g or so are greatly outflowed by the fp housing but not a bolt on housing found on most aftermarket turbos like the gt14 th rs65t scm61 and so on. I take you haven't run these turbos are your a n/t-T but in reality these turbos are so close in most of the power characteristics that any one of them will support 600 hp makin your points and argument void because at 600whp you got to be doing something right.
when a company rates a turbo for lbs/min, they don't consider the turbine wheel or housing. Its called a COMPRESSOR map for a reason, its just the compressor side. Its the maximum the compressor can flow. The fp turbine housing will flow more exhaust gases than the mitsu style housing.

black91awdturbo said:
Whar I am saying is to me the t3 turbo housing can be had at almost the same cost as the mitsu housing so to me its a no brainer to get the t3. And yes before you say it I do know you have to change things for the t3, but to me its still well worth the cost. And how many people have went over 600hp on this mitsu varient 35r?
a t3 style exhaust manifold also needs to be bought if switching from mitsu style to t3. that raises prices.

Ok lets put aside price performance alone is enough for me to go the bolt on route. You want to talk about real life and not just of one person then fine how many people are makin 600whp with a dsm then out of that number how many of them are daily driving they're cars? I hate to break it to you but if you want to talk about "average" pump setup as you put it how many people are daily driving t3 versions of the gt35r. Cause unless your stroker and or higher compression which I don't cinsider either a basic pump gas setup(which by the way is a oximoron with these turbos cause they don't wake up till 25psi and up which is race gas psi) your not gonna see full boost till 5k or later. Now I do know from first hand experience that 5k full boost on a car will be un bearable for the average person on the street no matter what gas your using. With a gt35r or fp 3065 or gt14 you can see 4300 rpm full boost and still make for argument sake 500whp cause you say 600 is unrealistic for the average dsmer. Well 500whp will get you very low 11's and maybe if your lucky to have a great tune high 10's. Considering that the average pump gas setup as you put it is a 16g or 50 trim I would say that 500whp is more then good enough for the everyday drive my car to work and to the track dsmer. Bottom line the bolt on housing is not only suited for turbo's like these I think it's a better option for 80% of the people that buy these turbos.

Edit: By the way you overlook the price diffrence a little to quick. A new downpipe that has a flange to bolt up to a t3 turbo housing along with a new manifold will run you another 500 bucs easy and that's with basic stuff. I think i'll take my bolt on hosuing and take the extra money and get myself dsmlink and have a solid low 11 second car that I can drive everyday while the guy that said t3 flows more(which it does) so it must be the better choice is wanting to jump off a bridge with his 2500rpm-3krpm power band.

You can get a real GT35R to spool in the mid 4k range with good tuning. The fact is the mitsu style housing is going to restrict power a lot compared to the FP housing or a larger T3 housing. SBR made 600+whp, yeah that's great. Did you happen to look at the dyno chart of that run? It was very peaky. It made the peak number then dropped like a rock. It didn't spool up all that quick either. It wasn't making 300whp until 5500 rpms and that was with a .48 A/R housing. Pretty shitty in my opinion

GVR4592 said:
You can get a real GT35R to spool in the mid 4k range with good tuning. The fact is the mitsu style housing is going to restrict power a lot compared to the FP housing or a larger T3 housing. SBR made 600+whp, yeah that's great. Did you happen to look at the dyno chart of that run? It was very peaky. It made the peak number then dropped like a rock. It didn't spool up all that quick either. It wasn't making 300whp until 5500 rpms and that was with a .48 A/R housing. Pretty shitty in my opinion

That just proves my case even more. If your trying to run this setup on street and the .48a/r spooled like that then the t3 housing will spool even slower. Not to mention that like you said it's all in the tune and stock ecu with old school safc is not exactly up to date tuning equipment but they were just trying to prove a point if you read the thread that the bolt on small housing can make big power and it did. If you not trying to run this on the street I would go t4 anyway but if your going to be running this turbo on your dd car thgen bolt on housing is better spool wise and easier on the pocket that's my point. The fact that the t3 housing will make more power is irrelevent because the sacrafise you have to make for that power isn't worth it on a street car. We are dancing around the same idea over and over this is pointless.

Power:
mitsu < bolt on(bullseye,SBR,PTE) < t3 < t4

Spool:
t4 < t3 < bolt on <mitsu

Everyone here is their own person and can descide how much they're willing to sacrafise for power and a person's goals are also a factor. I want to make 500whp and have a car that spools between 4300 and 4600rpms I have that and I got it via a bolt on hosuing.

slippi84 i think out of all the responds u make the most cents....my car with the bolt on slowboy gt35r makes full boost at 3500 ( 4th gear 20psi ) which is really good ...i know i can make more power on a full t-3 set up .63.82 ar but then my spool up will be worst and i would have to spent a bunch of money to convert...so there's ups and downs to all this ...either u have fast spool up and not so great up end or u have slow spool up and great top end ...before this turbo i had the scm61 (same turbine housing found on the bolt on sbr gt35r) and my car went 11.1 @ 127 with only 24 psi and a basic tune with dsmlink 50/50 pump race gas mix ..so hope i can go little faster with this new toy

Coup D E'Tat said:
I was just about to say this.

Don't base your "knowledge" on a turbo based on one person (or companies) testing.

And the FP housings are cast with much more thought into them than the SBR/PTE/BEP/whatever housings.

But don't ask me - www.forcedperformance.net

:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back