The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Slowboy GT35R bolt on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostmaniac

15+ Year Contributor
May 19, 2005
Us of A, Georgia
Is anyone here running one of these? My goals are around 600 awhp

I have 6 bolt with: tubular manifold w/38mm Tial w/g,3" turbo back,272s,1000cc FIC,walboro 255 pump,dsmlink,31x10x3"thick, MAFT,Gm 3", either slowboy 35R or sc61,weisco 8.3:1 .40 over,knife eged crank,3angle valve job,crower springs,fidanza 8# fly and cam gears bs removed Dejon Tool Intake manifold and coil plug on man boost controller.

Not sure how the spool is on the sc61 but its my other choice.

35R bolt on? not sure what your talking about but i do have experience w/ 35R and SC-61. they are the same. not to hate on the SC-61 but through experience, it's longevity is not as impressive as the 35R. if i were you, i'd go with the ball-bearing 35R. this turbo wakes up @ ~4200 rpms. it definitely makes up for the delay.

you can do it with the GT35R. From what I have read here on the site the .63 a/r on our mitsu housings might make it a bit difficult (think exhaust flow), but nevertheless possible.

v2ner said:
35R bolt on? not sure what your talking about but i do have experience w/ 35R and SC-61. they are the same. not to hate on the SC-61 but through experience, it's longevity is not as impressive as the 35R. if i were you, i'd go with the ball-bearing 35R. this turbo wakes up @ ~4200 rpms. it definitely makes up for the delay.

You are incorrect with your turbo descriptions.

GT35 = Journal Bearing
GT35R = Ball Bearing

What spoolup would you see with the 35R on that compression? Spool by 43-4000?

I was told by slowboy that I should see the 35R kicking in at 4600

boostmaniac said:
I was told by slowboy that I should see the 35R kicking in at 4600

The 35R is well capable of doing what he is asking of it in a bolt on housing, as long as he runs race gas with alot of boost! we have made 634whp on that exact turbo!

Mark
SBR

Damn 4600 on 2.0L i'll look for something smaller LOL

1990greenGSX said:
The 35R is well capable of doing what he is asking of it in a bolt on housing, as long as he runs race gas with alot of boost! we have made 634whp on that exact turbo!

Mark
SBR

Mark, can you provide more information on this specific set up? As in mods on the car, built 2.0 or built stroker, etc. What kind of fuel management also. On this specific set up, what boost were you guys running, 35 psi? Any examples of customers who have bought this turbo and their power output on them? Also, how do you compare the boost between your turbo and a GT35R turbo?

Thanks in advance.

eazy said:
Mark, can you provide more information on this specific set up? As in mods on the car, built 2.0 or built stroker, etc. What kind of fuel management also. On this specific set up, what boost were you guys running, 35 psi? Any examples of customers who have bought this turbo and their power output on them? Also, how do you compare the boost between your turbo and a GT35R turbo?

Thanks in advance.

Sure.
Block was SBR 2.3 stroker with manley rods
Head, SBR stage 6
actually, an SAFC, stock ECU and wal 255hp. No FPR and stock lines
we were running 38-40 psi
the boost levels are the same as the T3 variation. as for customers email me [email protected] and i can get you a couple emails for some pretty happy customers on the 35r, if they dont repsond on here anyways!

Mark
SBR

Wow, that is impressive given the fuel system you just described. I figured you would have atleast a fpr with upgraded injectors. What size injectors did you guys have in the car? Thanks for the good information though. Sounds like the turbo is doing what you expected of it to accomplish.

I think they ran 750's on the 634 dyno. I wonder where they would be with 850's,fpr,@ 40psi!?

How does this turbo compare to the 3575, I know the FP 3575 is bigger and will get more power but how much sooner would the 35R spool before the FP3575? 800,1000?

A GT35R will make 20 psi well before 4600 rpms. The 3575 will make 30psi at 4900 rpm, and will definitely make 20 psi before 4600. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203475

The sbr bolt on GT35R has one major downside. The turbine housing is way too small, and that is clearly demonstrated in their dyno charts. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163528

Power drops like a rock after peak power is made. Torque is also very peaky. A larger housing will have a much flatter torque curve. I'm not knocking on SBR. They have great products and the fact they made that much power on such a small turbine housing is amazing, and with a stock ecu!!! I'm just saying that a full garrett GT35R is a much better turbo.

boostmaniac said:
I think they ran 750's on the 634 dyno. I wonder where they would be with 850's,fpr,@ 40psi!?

How does this turbo compare to the 3575, I know the FP 3575 is bigger and will get more power but how much sooner would the 35R spool before the FP3575? 800,1000?

That would make better sense of everything.

The SBR GT35R is availabe with a .63 housing but in my opinion that is still to small. Spool up on the 3575 compared to the 35R is probably only 300-500 rpm slower. The 3575 has a .70 ar turbine housing and a GT37 turbine wheel, talk to evil_eagle about the 3575. I've seen his car at the track and watching him spin his tires through pretty much every gear and stil running a low 10 was very impressive. He daily drives the car like 60 miles a day, and he says it spools just fine on the street.

on a 35r bolt up up at slow boy i made 501 whp at 29psi, still on an internal gate (which was horrible to use on this turbo). stock 2g head, just cams and and intake manfold with dsm link. you can make 600 at the wheels easy if you tune the car good enough.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back