The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

bolt on slowboy gt35r..good or bad ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slippi84 said:
Where are you getting this miss information from. A 3065 is rated to 65lbs/min, I have a gt14 with the same exact chra and even a smaller exhaust wheel and both turbos are rated to 65lbs/min. Maybe a stock housing like the ones found on a 16g or so are greatly outflowed by the fp housing but not a bolt on housing found on most aftermarket turbos like the gt14 th rs65t scm61 and so on. I take you haven't run these turbos are your a n/t-T but in reality these turbos are so close in most of the power characteristics that any one of them will support 600 hp makin your points and argument void because at 600whp you got to be doing something right.

The fp housing flows significantly more than any other bolt on housing, even though for the price id probably rather get a t3 housing/manifold. How would that be misinformation? Nice try on the whole compressor/exhaust wheel thing too.

f4st said:
The fp housing flows significantly more than any other bolt on housing, even though for the price id probably rather get a t3 housing/manifold. How would that be misinformation? Nice try on the whole compressor/exhaust wheel thing too.

Nice try trying to talk about big turbos with bolt on housings without any real exper8ience:rolleyes:
SBR states right on their site that the gt14 will support up to 600hp and the fp3065 is rated to up to 650 hp as it states on theire site. Now I'm not one to believe a companies suposed turbo ratings but both these companies are pretty dam repituable and so with that said if there is only a 50hp diffrence between the two turbo's I think that that makes them pretty dam close as 50hp when your already makin upwards of 5-600whp isn't much at all. Now I honestly don't think the average tuner will make 600 with these turbos but some will. The fact of the matter is that stock ferrari's and vipers will not keep up with you if you put even 450whp to the ground. Now call me crazy but I think that would make my car pretty dam fast and I think most would agree.

Slippi84 said:
Nice try trying to talk about big turbos with bolt on housings without any real exper8ience:rolleyes:
SBR states right on their site that the gt14 will support up to 600hp and the fp3065 is rated to up to 650 hp as it states on theire site. Now I'm not one to believe a companies suposed turbo ratings but both these companies are pretty dam repituable and so with that said if there is only a 50hp diffrence between the two turbo's I think that that makes them pretty dam close as 50hp when your already makin upwards of 5-600whp isn't much at all. Now I honestly don't think the average tuner will make 600 with these turbos but some will. The fact of the matter is that stock ferrari's and vipers will not keep up with you if you put even 450whp to the ground. Now call me crazy but I think that would make my car pretty dam fast and I think most would agree.

I dont see the point of a bolt on turbine housing big turbo. If youre going to spend all the money it takes to support it and do it right, it doesnt cost that much more to switch to a t3 or even t4 setup. Picking the ar and style housing makes a huge difference, i dont know what youre trying to argue? Who cares if 600hp is alot of power, who cares if 450whp will beat a ferrari? Thats not what were talking about. Were talking about turbine housings, and if you think the mitsu style bolt on is better for some odd reason then being able to choose your ar with a t3 or t4 housing especially on bigger turbos is better, then good for you. What times and dyno numbers are you running with your gt14? My t3/t4
gt35r numbers should be posted soon.

f4st said:
I dont see the point of a bolt on turbine housing big turbo. If youre going to spend all the money it takes to support it and do it right, it doesnt cost that much more to switch to a t3 or even t4 setup. Picking the ar and style housing makes a huge difference, i dont know what youre trying to argue? Who cares if 600hp is alot of power, who cares if 450whp will beat a ferrari? Thats not what were talking about. Were talking about turbine housings, and if you think the mitsu style bolt on is better for some odd reason then being able to choose your ar with a t3 or t4 housing especially on bigger turbos is better, then good for you. What times and dyno numbers are you running with your gt14? My t3/t4
gt35r numbers should be posted soon.

WHy do people that have not been around from the biginning of this thread keep tellin me what we're talking about. The title and what we're talkin about is BOLT ON 35R GOOD or BAD. Guys came on and said it's bad cause it will restrict the flow of the turbo and thus not make enough power to be worth buying simply for the bolt on benefits. I disagree with this statement and I stated turbo such as my GT14 that can make big power that have the bolt on hosuing. That's what we're talkin about and the point that if our style cars makes 450whp and is tuned right it can take plenty vehicles is credit to how much peopel are underestimating putting down that kinda power like you have to have 600hp to be fast.

Initial DSM said:
gt14 and the fp3065 is pretty much the same turbo :shhh:

Forgive the analogy, but humans share more DNA (94%) with chimpanzees than the FP3065 does with the base model GT-14 (66%) ;)

(CHRA may be the same, but different comp cover and turbine housing) :dsm:

Slippi84 said:
EXactly but no one will ever say anything bad about the 3065 cause it's a mee to turbo

No one will say anything bad about it because it does what FP says it will do and has propelled no less than four separate cars into the 9s . Not to mention FP has a great reputation as a turbo builder and for customer support :dsm:

Also, take into consideration that SBR may (I say may because I am honestly not sure) be using the compressor wheel's max flow rating to determine a HP level. With a choked turbine housing, you'll be hard-pressed to make the power the compressor is capable of.

Also, at 500whp, another 50whp means a LOT.

DSM90AWD said:
No one will say anything bad about it because it does what FP says it will do and has propelled no less than four separate cars into the 9s . Not to mention FP has a great reputation as a turbo builder and for customer support :dsm:

Good thing I don't have the base gt14 then. Good thing I have all the porting options polished intake lip and to4s pro shroud cover. So same chra better cover but worse exhaust side...I think I can live with that while saving 500+ dollars on other accessories.

Coup D E'Tat said:
Also, take into consideration that SBR may (I say may because I am honestly not sure) be using the compressor wheel's max flow rating to determine a HP level. With a choked turbine housing, you'll be hard-pressed to make the power the compressor is capable of.

Also, at 500whp, another 50whp means a LOT.

50whp when you make 500whp is the diffrence between going 10.8 and going 10.6(this is general the times may be slightly diffrent but the difrence between the two is about the same at that hp level.) in my book that's nothing.

Slippi84 said:
Good thing I don't have the base gt14 then. Good thing I have all the porting options polished intake lip and to4s pro shroud cover
Not if this PIC from your gallery is of your GT-14. That's the Port-Shrowd T04E cover, the same that comes with the FP3065. The T04S has smaller/more "ports" on the comp inlet and is larger in size.

I think I can live with that while saving 500+ dollars on other accessories.
Do post back when you get her up and running to let us know how it all worked out as we can bench race all we want, but what really matters is results.

Good luck :thumb: :dsm:

DSM90AWD said:
Not if this PIC from your gallery is of your GT-14. That's the Port-Shrowd T04E cover, the same that comes with the FP3065. The T04S has smaller/more "ports" on the comp inlet and is larger in size.

Do post back when you get her up and running to let us know how it all worked out as we can bench race all we want, but what really matters is results.

Good luck :thumb: :dsm:

For sure I definately plan on posting a whole thread that shows everyone how the turbo and my turbular work as I get slack for both daily but your bench racing = ### dyno sheets = quiet naysayers :shhh:

By the way check that pick again that's a to4s cover. 4" in and 2" out. :thumb:

Edit: actually It may be the pro shroud 4" inch cover but I don't think there is much diffrence between the two

Edit: I found a couple other threads with actual to4s covers and the diffrence is the to4s cover has a 2.5 outlet while mine is just 2". Both have 4" inlets but mine has the anti surge ports unlike a plain to4s cover. I looked on sbr's site both covers cost the same as add ons,

hey guys, i have been following this thread from the beginning. and for the most part i agree with slippi84 because i have been looking into this subject for awhile now. actually i wanted to throw on a gt40 with the bullseye housing. after some reading, i have read that the best a/r for our engines for good top end but not too much lag is is about .63-.68. now considering that most of us are going to bolt on these big turbos and never max them out, im not saying all, but you have to admit that you see way too many people running 14b and 16g times on bigger turbos. now take into account that the bullseye turbine housing has a a/r of .55(or atleast that is the number i keep reading). lets just say hypothetically that i bought the gt40 and bolted it on. i could see were the turbine housing could get restrictive at high boost, but if you run a big turbo at low boost(by low boost, i mean the most you can get away with on pump). lets say the highest you could go on pump was 20-23 psi, the gt40 would make a lot of power at that boost level and i would still get fast spool because of the smaller turbine housing, while still not choking off the car. on a side note, there is this evo that ran 10's at 18psi!!! on pump gas with an HX50 http://dsmtimes.org/details.php?ID=1231. that turbo is a big holset for diesels, i went through the diesel forums once and some of them were worried about upgrading to a HX40 let alone a HX50. this conclusion that i came to is for most of us that want to daily drive and have massive horsepower, for less money, and lag.
later

91-gsx said:
hey guys, i have been following this thread from the beginning. and for the most part i agree with slippi84 because i have been looking into this subject for awhile now. actually i wanted to throw on a gt40 with the bullseye housing
We're talking of neither the GT40 nor B/E housing here so why not start a different thread :confused:

DSM90AWD said:
We're talking of neither the GT40 nor B/E housing here so why not start a different thread :confused:

Come on DSM90AWD i know your "wise" enough to see that he just means that he was thinkin of putting a big turbo(gt40) with bolt on hosuing(bullseye housing) on his car. If you look about it like that there is slight relevance enough to post in this thread as we have dfiantely drifted away from just the gt35r and are now talkin about big turbos with bolt on hosuings in general.

By the way i'm just busting your balls with the "wise" comment ROFL your def one of my favorite wiseman. I remember when I was a new b you helped me out without the "search and you would know" responses. I now too pass on the same knowledge in a non **** way.

I have to excercise some semblance of rule adhesion/enforcement every now and then or Chris will revoke my charter :p

My comment was merely to prevent this from becomming a diarrea thread that gets locked. The subject at hand was that of the SBR GT35 or one of the other variants of the same chra theme. Gotta draw the line somewhere ;)

DSM90AWD said:
I have to excercise some semblance of rule adhesion/enforcement every now and then or Chris will revoke my charter :p

My comment was merely to prevent this from becomming a diarrea thread that gets locked. The subject at hand was that of the SBR GT35 or one of the other variants of the same chra theme. Gotta draw the line somewhere ;)

The man laid the law down :nono:"No GT40 for you"

Any idea's on how we can fairly compare the different bolt-on housings and the T3 housings? I've looked around on other forums but all of the information I find is on private forums that don't allow linking, or reposting information.

GVR4592 said:
Any idea's on how we can fairly compare the different bolt-on housings and the T3 housings? I've looked around on other forums but all of the information I find is on private forums that don't allow linking, or reposting information.

On larger GT turbos I've seen direct turbine housing compares of PTE to FP (FP produced more WHP) and on conventional BEP to T3 (T3 showed ~40WHP). I've never seen a direct compare of SBR's housing to anything so cannot comment other than to say it likely flows less than a .63 A/R T3.

Diamond Star Motorsport notes on their site a back-to-back comparison of the GT-35 in PTE vs T3 turbine housings (they offer both), so may want to give them a call if interested in this specific turbo.

Does this help?

To be honest a mitsu housing and a t3 with a .63 turbine a/r arnt going to have night and day spool times they might be off by a few hundred rpms.... AMS motor sports rates their .63 t3 GT35R at getting 20psi boost by 4th gear at 4000rpms. To me thats pretty good as far as usable powerband. The .82 a/r is where you're going to see significant lag.

Bottom line

T3 = more expensive, but will achieve greater power

Mitsu Housing= inexpensive, Bolt-on, but will be limited to power due to restrictiveness of the exhaust side.

Personally I would much rather have the .63 because A. I wont have to run high boost to achive the power I want, B. having a built motor and valve train that can easily rev past 8500 rpms would be pointless when the mitsu housing makes peak power at 6500. C. in the long run I can expect more power out of the T3.

PSI NRG said:
To be honest a mitsu housing and a t3 with a .63 turbine a/r arnt going to have night and day spool times they might be off by a few hundred rpms.... AMS motor sports rates their .63 t3 GT35R at getting 20psi boost by 4th gear at 4000rpms. To me thats pretty good as far as usable powerband. The .82 a/r is where you're going to see significant lag.

Bottom line

T3 = more expensive, but will achieve greater power

Mitsu Housing= inexpensive, Bolt-on, but will be limited to power due to restrictiveness of the exhaust side.

Personally I would much rather have the .63 because A. I wont have to run high boost to achive the power I want, B. having a built motor and valve train that can easily rev past 8500 rpms would be pointless when the mitsu housing makes peak power at 6500. C. in the long run I can expect more power out of the T3.

GT35r t3 .63ar full boost by 4k ROFL ROFL ROFL on what a ram1500 ROFL

Don't believe the hype man that turbo aint doing that on anything other than a fully built stroker. From what I have seen as long as you don't try and get a bolt on style turbo with t3 housing and get a turbo that was desgined tobe t3 it's actualy cheaper to go the t3 way. This is simply the turbo only the other stuff adds up to make the t3 slightlu more expensive.

Slippi84 said:
GT35r t3 .63ar full boost by 4k ROFL ROFL ROFL on what a ram1500 ROFL

Don't believe the hype man that turbo aint doing that on anything other than a fully built stroker. From what I have seen as long as you don't try and get a bolt on style turbo with t3 housing and get a turbo that was desgined tobe t3 it's actualy cheaper to go the t3 way. This is simply the turbo only the other stuff adds up to make the t3 slightlu more expensive.

"The AMS Spec GT35RL Turbo makes maximum power yet provides unbelievably quick spool up. Expect 20 psi of boost by 4000 rpm in third or fourth gear."
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=41_89&products_id=682

Read it and weep... I'm pretty sure AMS wouldnt lie about the spool on their turbo... They are one of the leading industry's producing extremely fast high horsepower DSM's and EVOs.

Initial DSM said:
this turbo has been in my car for 3 weeks now ..full boost (20psi) in 4th is 3500 rpm's which is super fast..:thumb:
Those 2.4s spool big turbos up nicely :D What compression are you running?

edit:
Initial DSM said:
i'm not talking about my 95 nt with turbo.the car i'm posting about is a 1992 awd laser ROFL
So are you running this on a your '92 w/ 4G63 or the 95 NT w/2.4L Avenger motor :confused:

Regardless, the compressor cover you have on page 1 of this thread is not appropriate for the quick-spooling SBR/PTE exhaust housings as it will surge.

DSMotorsport mentions this fact on their site from their own experience and will only sell with the Ported T04S cover. FP will also only sell this with the Garrett T04 cover with anti-surge ports. I know oldman had to buy the "S" cover after he'd bought his GT-12 for the very same reason.

So be careful and look for tell tale indications of surging (boost rapidlyfluctuating up/down on spool / pitch change in turbo..etc) :dsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back