The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

fmic Good or Bad

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 21, 2004
Vacaville, California
Ok i was thinking about getting a FMIC for my 95 GST, but after posting another thread in the NEWBIE section about what my next supporting mods should be, im not to sure any more.

One guy said that with my existing mods that a FMIC really wouldn't do much but create more turbo lag.
My current mods are: 3'' Apexi Cat Back Exhaust, Evo3 GT 16g, HKS SSQ, Walboro 250lph HP, Unorthodox Racing Pullyes, and just about all the free mods.

No what im asking here is if this is true, and if it isn't should i go ahead and get one?

If you have an Evo 16g on a stock side mount, your heat soaking it.

FMIC don't create noticeable turbo lag... if your worried about a few hundred rpms (which it wont be), then you need to get out of going fast...

Anyway what I mean is, yes, a FMIC is a very good next step.

I actually have better spoolup time with my FMIC. If you get one witha high flowing core and (bar and plate? ...it's what i have) and "pipe" it good you should be happy with the results.

wow!! ac on hot day good or bad? LOL
come on brother. front mount is always good. just don't get one thats the size of your radiator. get a nice small front mount and your good to go.
air gets cooler knock goes down and the boost that you can run safely goes up.

dsm-onster said:
I actually have better spoolup time with my FMIC. If you get one witha high flowing core and (bar and plate? ...it's what i have) and "pipe" it good you should be happy with the results.

yeah . what he said. good idea to drop all the stock tubing and go to complete metal piping from throttle body to turbo outlet. might as well change the stock accordian intake to metal while at it. The car sounds better spooling and you get way better flow.

Well i originally thought that it was a good investment with my current mods, its just i wanted to double check with the rest of the people here (thats what these forums are ment for). But now i decided to goahead and get one.

yeah,. don't worry about the lag, .

the FMIC for you it's your next step..you will have better top end, for your 16g.. me since I put my FMIC on my evo3 16g, I have full boost at 3200rpm. where is the lag?? and don't forget we are FWDD' and sometimes,. the little lag is good for us.

well i appreciate everyones feedback, it really helped.

Thanks!!!

if yr worried about spool up time get a tube/fin like a greddy 24r. if u want better top end flow than go bar/plate like a spearco or slowboy or dejon.

The FMIC isn't a bad idea but you have failed to mention any fuel mods other than a bigger fuel pump. If that is the case you are more than likely over-running your stock regulator and more than likely you duty cycle is through the roof if your still got your 450's. But if you just failed to mention it disregard this and get a smiley.

No i didnt forget to mention any other fuel mods, but there on the list like the FMIC. I plan on getting an AFPR, and probably 650cc injectors, i think those will be big enough for 350fwhp

As I posted previously:
The amount of extra space that a turbo has to fill with a large FMIC versus a stock SMIC is negligible when you consider how much air they actually move. You'll notice next to no difference in spool, if any.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back