The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

FMIC....good or bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99GSXAWDTURBO

15+ Year Contributor
May 16, 2005
Frankfort, Kentucky
i was thinking about installing a Greddy 24v FMIC on my GSX. I still have my stock turbo on the car. Will the larger FMIC create any problems for the stock turbo?

99GSXAWDTURBO said:
i was thinking about installing a Greddy 24v FMIC on my GSX. I still have my stock turbo on the car. Will the larger FMIC create any problems for the stock turbo?
Without knowing exactly the size of the fmic, you always have to consider increase in spool up when increasing volume on the intake side especially with a smaller turbo like T25.

99GSXAWDTURBO said:

No problems, it will be fine.

I just had to adjust my Type-S BOV screw when I installed that FMIC on the stock turbo. Other than that it ran great :thumb:

Whats the use of getting a FMIC? with your stock turbo? The SMIC is plenty for your t25. A FMIC would create more lag for your T-too small.

Eclipsei95cl said:
Whats the use of getting a FMIC? with your stock turbo? The SMIC is plenty for your t25. A FMIC would create more lag for your T-too small.

Smaller turbos are less efficient creating more heat which requires more cooling. Look at the guys running sick times on 14Bs, they all run huge FMICs.

As for increased lag, the stock SMIC is much more restrictive than any FMIC. So the extra volume that will need to be compressed with the larger core will be somewhat offset by the lower pressure loss across the FMIC core and the increased cooling efficiency.

Less pressure loss = less work (boost) the turbo has to make to yield the same boost level at the manifold.

BTW.. the T-25 is crap, but the FMIC will make you faster, more so when you upgrade turbos :thumb:

the t25 will never have to worry about spool up. However, I think the small greddy or the apex are plenty big enough for 11's or maybe better, and would be a better choice. I went with the big greddy myself, I have a big6g, and my turbo takes a LOT longer to spool up now. That IC is overkill unless you want low 11's/10's

I believe the Greddy FMICs are tube and fin. You might want to investigate getting a bar and plate core instead. Look on ebay for nice tube and fin cores at low prices. Custom piping and couplers can be done for under $100, as well.

boostedinaz said:
You can find alot better kits than the Greddy. This kit has at least 2-3ft more pipping than any other kit I have seen.
Agreed, this extra piping contributes to pressure drop and an increase in spool time. Plus plumbing it is a complete hassle.

I personally know more than 5 persons who have upgraded thier stock SMIC for a FMIC on a t-25 turbo and have no bad effects whatsoever, yeah the t-25 turbo may be too small to actually NEED a FMIC but it does get much benefit from this upgrade, heck any small turbo does.

Pressure drop, I don't think this will be a problem unless you run a 31x12x3.5 bar and plate, intercooler... but with any decently sized street core you'll be glad, happy and bosting hard while taking the advantage of a nice cool intake temperature.

Go HRC (Hahn Racecraft) FMIC, and I did the same thing with mine, I saw no differences, dont expect gains because your not going to get them, but it will set you up for a future turbo setup and big psi numbers, exactly what i did, plus it looks dope :thumb: everybody told me to spend my money on something else until i needed it, but if you want it get it, the HRC intercooler is a sinch to install to very straightforward thats my opinion

thanks for the input guys. i realize i wont get any gains. It will set me up for my turbo upgrade down the road...im building up gradually :) plus a FMIC just looks intimidating :p im going with Greddy, ive heard some good reviews and know a few who have it. :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back