The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G AWD and FWD exhaust differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mychel23

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2010
South Bend, Indiana
I know this is beyond a stupid question BUT will a AWD exhaust fit on a FWD? If not what is the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess i should of said its a 96' talon

Ok i got it. Can be done but not worth it

Yes and no. The center section is the only thing that will and if fits very crappy and has to be modified to fit to the over axle pipe. Not worth the headache and hassle.

Doesn't necessarily have to go OVER the axle, i have my exhaust going under the axle and have never scraped it.

He's probably talking about the section that goes through the rear driver side wheel well.

FYI. Thats not what its called:thumb:

Your'e right. If the car was a 1g it would make more sense to explain it that way. I don't know about fitment for a 2g though. 1g is difficult to interchange exhaust parts.

1g fwd exhaust is literally that. An over axle pipe since it runs above the trailing arms and that area is very narrow for anything larger than 2.75".

Its impossible to run the FWD (GS-T/TSi) exhaust on an AWD (GSX/TSi AWD) DSM or vise versa because the hangers are different and the FWD exhaust fills the driveshaft tunnel.

Here's the differences...

FWD Exhaust

attachment.php

AWD Exhaust

attachment.php

attachment.php

:dsm:

Yes and no. The center section is the only thing that will and if fits very crappy and has to be modified to fit to the over axle pipe. Not worth the headache and hassle.

+1 good call

Its impossible to run the FWD (GS-T/TSi) exhaust on an AWD (GSX/TSi AWD) DSM or vise versa because the hangers are different and the FWD exhaust fills the driveshaft tunnel.

Here's the differences...

FWD Exhaust

attachment.php

AWD Exhaust

attachment.php

attachment.php

Impossible? I suppose swapping the drivetrain on a 2g from FWD to AWD is impossible as well because the subframe bolts arent the correct length... -1

Both those pictures are of the same car (MINE) so thanks for your useful insight on the OP's question. Yes, its IMPOSSIBLE to run a FWD DSM exhaust on and AWD DSM (and vise-versa) because of the reasons I stated above.

What does doing an AWD swap have to do with anything thats been posted thus far?

Im calling BS right now, I have an AWD apexi N1 exhaust that Im using on my 2g FWD right now!

My point is this. If you can do something like change the entire drivetrain of the vehicle thru modifications, what in the world makes you think you cant run an AWD exhaust on a FWD??? I know you cant put the FWD pipes on an AWD because it would be sharing space with the driveshaft...

That being said, my -1 stands because your post was not entirely accurate. Anybody with a cutoff wheel and a stick welder CAN use an AWD exhaust on a FWD car. If you did the AWD swap than you probably have access to both.

Im calling BS right now, I have an AWD apexi N1 exhaust that Im using on my 2g FWD right now!

My point is this. If you can do something like change the entire drivetrain of the vehicle thru modifications, what in the world makes you think you cant run an AWD exhaust on a FWD??? I know you cant put the FWD pipes on an AWD because it would be sharing space with the driveshaft...

That being said, my -1 stands because your post was not entirely accurate. Anybody with a cutoff wheel and a stick welder CAN use an AWD exhaust on a FWD car. If you did the AWD swap than you probably have access to both.
I wish you would take a photo or two of your AWD exhaust on your FWD DSM.

Your entire argument is invalid because you're talking about customizing the exhaust to get it to work. The OP is asking if a FWD exhaust will bolt into place on a AWD or vise versa, the answer is always going to be no.

When i bought my 1st fwd dsm it had a awd exhaust. i just posted some pictures in my profile if anyone cares to take a look!
I'm not familiar with the 1g's but the OP is asking about a '96 so your pictures won't be much help.

Post up pictures of your exhaust.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back