1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Aftermarket ball joints that change the roll center?

Posted by Ludachris, Oct 28, 2008

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. underradar92

underradar92 Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Suppose that means they are more spendy than the Muellerized Olins I plan to get over winter...

1K  2

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    326.7 whp · 273.9 lb/ft · 1G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. gofer

gofer Moderator

Joined Feb 18, 2006
    South Gilbert, Arizona
    No idea, I don't shop for parts I can't afford. I think foot in the door Ohlins start at $2.5k, I'm sure Mueller Ohlins carry a bigger price tag.

Street Build 14K  10  61

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    11.634 @ 126.050 · 2G DSM

2K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. getto822000

getto822000 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 6, 2009
    Palo Alto, California
    They are the same shocks except that the springs are different and they include the mounting brackets which I had to buy separately from SCE. Mine are Ohlins Road & Track's. I'm planning to tune them myself and maybe get some local help in Minnesota.

4. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    If they're Evo Ohlins they're likely Muellerized Ohlins. Unless someone else was also doing that conversion, but I seriously doubt it.

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  5. cioc

cioc Proven Member

Joined Aug 2, 2006
    Sparta, New Jersey
    Man I wish someone else bought the Mueller Ohlins before me...I spent ALOT more than what's advertised on their website. Sometimes being 1st ISN'T better. Thanks for the write up Getto! Been looking for a bump steer solution. Is anyone else concerned about the length of the spacer on the tie rod side? For us road racers with big tires I'm starting to really question the safety of some of our stock components. With the forces generated laterally I'm wondering if that steering knuckle arm is beefy enough to handle the load.

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Holy ish! That is way less than what they had quoted me too. Pretty f'n cheap for a set of Ohlins coilovers.

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  7. donk

donk Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2002
    kalmar, Europe
    so have anyone made any more of this ? found som interesting stuff on the web

3kgt knuckle on galant vr4
    http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=1021073&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=6&vc=1

and evo x knuckle on 3kgt
    https://www.google.com/search?clien...9j0i10i19j0i22i30i19j33i160j33i21.r-G0NWkaJJQ

balljoint change kit .
    http://chromedecu.org/?product=evox-brake-kit-for-a-3000gt

if i am not completly lost this should make it possible to mount the evo x knuckle and brakes on a 1g (or any evo x big brake kit)also getting better bearings and a little bit rollcenter adjustment (evox knuckle looks best to me) .

/A

8. bonecollector

bonecollector Proven Member

Joined Nov 9, 2011
    Peoria, Arizona
    I was going to do the evo X knuckles on my 1g TSI a couple years ago, I abandoned the project when I stripped out third gear in the trans and decided to partout my 1g out and focus on my vr4.
    (I still have the evo x knuckles/dust shields if your interested in them).

The biggest issue you're going to run into is sourcing out the correct axle length and spline count. i'm pretty sure i was able to find some axles that were worth trying. i'll try to find that information when i clean out my office tomorrow, If i find it, I'll post it.

Showcar Build 559  7

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4
  9. donk

donk Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2002
    kalmar, Europe
    To be completly honest i havent thought so mutch abaout the axle problem yet, but you are completly right. i figured the best way would be to use as mutch evo as possible and to have a company like driveshaftshop make a set of axles, but if there is something that fits boot on that would be even better!
    please post again if you find anything.

also might be interested in the knuckles depending on price and if you would ship then sence i am located in sweden...you can pm me about this .

best regards

A