The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

AEM AEM Infinity tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
Hey guys. For the past few months I've been reading and searching and reading learning all I can about tuning, and I think I've gotten a good understanding of what I'll be trying to achieve. I am currently putting the finishing touches on my 95 Talon TSI AWD. It has the AEM Infinity 506 with an Evo 8 30-3511 adapter harness. The pinouts have been changed within the ECU to compensate for the slightly different pinout that the Evo 8 has.

At this point my plan is to street tune the car myself, though that is not my only option. I have never tuned an ECU before, never used the program before, and have been able to find very little information regarding the exact ins and outs of how to do it with this ECU.

Is it realistic for me to think that I'll be able to learn to tune with this ECU? It has logging capabilities, as far as I know its basically capable of whatever I want it to do, as long as I have the right hardware.

Has anybody had any experience tuning with this ECU? An in depth write up would be invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it realistic for me to think that I'll be able to learn to tune with this ECU?
Yes and No. This is hard to tell because this kind of things would be very depending on your tuning ability/sense and how serious you are to learn it.
As you said you never tuned via EMS before, then to be very honest, you will probably have a hard time even just to start up the engine or make a stable idle, especially if the car is heavily modified. I have seen many people even couldn't make it via some standalone EMS and finally switched over to ECMLink. This is one of the biggest reasons why people here always recommend to go with ECMLink when you step up the tuning method, because ECMLink is really user friendly, especially at the initial start up and even most of case you can drive the car just right after the initial start up. Also many ECMLink users are in this forum so you would get infos/helps easily.

But if you can or once you learn how to use the AEM infinity that you have or the other brand's EMS, that will allow you to be more capable with many other brand EMS and allow you to adjust more parameters and give you more functions/options in the future. but which means you will have more work to even just to start up.

You won't find many infos in the internet because most of people who use a standalone EMS already knows what to do or just ask some shop and pay.

Fortunately the infinity was already setup with a base map that was good enough to get it started, but all of the timing was super retarded so I did a bit of research and built an ignition table that had the car driving much better, and free of knock.

I'm very adamant about learning how to use this software and I am slowly but surely getting better with it. More so than saving the $650 I was quoted for a tune, I want to be able to tune it myself because I plan to run 94 octane which is only available at Chevrons up here, but I want to be able to tune it to run on 91 which is available everywhere if I find myself needing to. I also want to be able to adjust for future setups if needed instead if having to dish out that kind of cash every time I change my setup.

It certainly is trick to use and I've spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, both research and trial and error in the car. My main goal is to just be able to make a safe tune, but fast would also be good.

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure I understood the difficulty of what I'm getting into, but it sounds like its possible I could learn to do it myself.

Yes, of course you can do that by yourself, and that's better. Learn by trial and error with taking your time.:thumb:
So I think I learned by trial and error, but maybe didn't take enough time. I got this thing running pretty good 3 years ago, but it never started easily. It's a while later and I've got this thing rebuilt after it destroyed itself, probably from cranking, cranking and flooding and not starting smoothly.

I just tried for the first time to start it since rebuilding it, and it went OK. It didn't start, but it definitely wanted to. It was very stumbley, it would initially fire pretty quick after cranking but it wouldn't catch, it would stumble, crank and fire again over and over. This is what it was doing before and I ended up flooding it pretty bad which I think contributed to its initial demise.

I will post a log of me trying to start it soon, but for now, all I know is during cranking I have my spark timing set to 10* BTDC and I believe my afrs are targeted for roughly 10.5:1 during the crank, but again, we'll see in the log.

I currently have the fuel trims set to enrich slightly depending on coolant temperature shortly after startup. Any suggestions to help it "catch" after it initially fires?

The infinity does a bad job reading the factory cam/crank signals. All the other stand alones need one too. And yes, you need to either get a kiggly 12t crank trigger, or a 12t wheel for the factory crank trigger if your engine has one.

So I think I learned by trial and error, but maybe didn't take enough time. I got this thing running pretty good 3 years ago, but it never started easily. It's a while later and I've got this thing rebuilt after it destroyed itself, probably from cranking, cranking and flooding and not starting smoothly.

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of destruction you found when you rebuilt it after that first go-round with it.

If it makes you feel any better @88BB8B I don't have a clue what you're talking about... It's all Greek to me. :banghead::banghead::banghead::idontknow::D
Thanks. It's been quite the learning experience the last few years.

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of destruction you found when you rebuilt it after that first go-round with it.
Complete destruction, all bearings, rods especially, crank trashed, pistons badly scuffed from all of the debris. Needed a complete rebuild. I've posted pics in the past.

The infinity does a bad job reading the factory cam/crank signals. All the other stand alones need one too. And yes, you need to either get a kiggly 12t crank trigger, or a 12t wheel for the factory crank trigger if your engine has one.
I've been searching around, and I understand why I need the 12T trigger plate, but I can't figure out why or how I have to modify the cam sensor. Mine reads off the cam gear. Do I need a different CAS setup? Do I cut a tooth off my cam gear?

Edit: I found this thread where it is explained to remove the long key from the cam sensor. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/a...y-english-racing-12t-trigger-wheel-setup.html

Last edited:
Thanks! I've installed the kiggly kit now, and modified my cam sensor. I found pretty quickly where to change the settings in the infinity software. I selected 12 tooth hall crank and 1 tooth hall cam. In the software it says I MUST confirm with a timing light. I figured as long as I was getting a reasonable RPM when cranking, that would be a good indicator that the ecu is reading the new sensor setup properly however the car does not want to start. Even less so than it did before. Now it isn't sputtering or trying to fire itself backwards or anything which is good, but it's not firing at all. I don't have a timing light to check the spark timing. Maybe I could make one? Is there anything else I should check?

My cam sensor is the same type of sensor as the stock crank sensor. I'm not sure if it is a hall sensor? Could the ecu possibly be looking for the wrong type of cam signal? It's just the stock 95' in-sprocket cam sensor, with the long fin cut off the disc.

Update: just confirmed that I do have spark.

Last edited:
I made a new thread because it's a new topic but I thought I'd post here as well.

I got the kiggly kit all installed I think all of the hardware is correct. I gapped the sensor and everything. I got a timing light today and my spark timing is insanely off.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's supposed to be at 10°BTDC when I'm cranking and that's what the ecu displayed when I was cranking.

My cam sensor isn't backwards or anything, it's the behind the camgear style. I don't know what could be causing this between the kiggly kit and the infinity it's hard to find info.

Should I just adjust the base timing until it's right? Can I/would I also have to adjust the injector timing since it's so far off?

I made a new thread because it's a new topic but I thought I'd post here as well.

I got the kiggly kit all installed I think all of the hardware is correct. I gapped the sensor and everything. I got a timing light today and my spark timing is insanely off.

It's supposed to be at 10°BTDC when I'm cranking and that's what the ecu displayed when I was cranking.

My cam sensor isn't backwards or anything, it's the behind the camgear style. I don't know what could be causing this between the kiggly kit and the infinity it's hard to find info.

Should I just adjust the base timing until it's right? Can I/would I also have to adjust the injector timing since it's so far off?
I would think that would be it. Do small adjustments until it’s close. I just installed a 12 tooth. Hoping the adjustments are right LOL. What settings did you use?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back