The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Street Build '97 Eclipse AWD GS-T (2006 to Present)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30NOV2008 - Photo shoot
A few photos I took of the DSM after its fresh set of AWD brakes were installed and new HRC FMIC.

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

Very beautiful build journal so far Corey! :thumb:
Thanks Nate, means a lot coming from you! This is my first time organizing a build thread of my car like this, didn't realize how much I had done until I listed it like this.

Very nice Corey!

Sounds like Dan must not have much left of that wrecked GSX! LOL

24DEC2008 - FIRE!!!!!
Unfortunately, the title says it all.

I was driving through downtown San Diego on Christmas Eve when my headights started to flicker and a cop passing the other direction yelled at me to "PULL OVER!" As he was flipping a u-turn in traffic I'm trying to figure out why my car just shut-off in the middle of the road and smokes rolling out from under the hood when my coolant temp gauge is normal. The car shuts off and the lights go out, I attempt to put on my hazards but nothing... shit. I pop the hood and run out to asses the situation, the instant I lift it I get hit in the face with smoke that damn near chokes me and burns my eyes. W.T.F is going on!!! Once I get my bearing back and the smoke clears I see a small flame across the entire length of throttle cable from the CC box, down the fuel rail, and around the back of the IM to the throttle body. Realizing I have fuel lines right there from the AFPR install my pathetic attempt to "blow out the fire" failed miserably and about that time the SDPD ran up with his bottle of CO2. After 3 or 4 cop cars arrive and just as many CO2 bottles are sprayed all over my engine bay I realize, this fire is electrical. Unfortunately, the SDPD is keeping me on the sidewalk and won't let me go near the engine bay as I explain to him its the battery that needs cut from ground. He just tells me the fire dept. will take care of it once they arrive, then goes on to mention that if there's anything important in the car I should start pulling it out. OMG

Funny or not, I run to the trunk and grab two things, a 3/8" DR ratchet and a 14mm socket, then proceed to the front of the car and start pulling my black leather seats! Once I get the passenger seat out and on the sidewalk the cop realizes what I'm doing and says, "I said pull anything important, not start stripping the car!" Disappointed, I run back and toss the tools in the hatch and grab my digital camera to snap a few pictures of my car up in flames.

What seemed like an eternity, the SDFD showed up and snipped ground from the battery and put the fire out with a small bottle of water. Here are the photos I took of the fire, then a few of the aftermath. Only after I pulled the strut tower brace did I realize, the brace had completely rubbed through the wire loom and insulation on the cable going to the (+) terminal on the battery.

To say the least, I had a GREAT Christmas 2008. :mad:

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

dsc_0001.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

Very nice Corey!

Sounds like Dan must not have much left of that wrecked GSX! LOL
Thats the truth. Besides the motor, I got the entire car and damn near every aftermarket part he had in his garage to put on my DSM. I know he misses his DSM but now he lives in Japan and drives an Evo IV, so by no means is he roughing it right now. ;)

Oh man, the fire post is by far my favorite! Not because of what happen to the car but what you went to save from it. I was totally thinking like documents or evening removing the battery yourself. BUT HELL with it, you went for those dam leather SEATS!

It killed me seeing that DSM in flames hopefully you will get it up and running again.
You may want to check the date it happened (24DEC2008) because its been up and running for the last 3 years. ;) Thanks for the concern though!

Funny or not, I run to the trunk and grab two things, a 3/8" DR ratchet and a 14mm socket, then proceed to the front of the car and start pulling my black leather seats! Once I get the passenger seat out and on the sidewalk the cop realizes what I'm doing and says, "I said pull anything important, not start stripping the car!" Disappointed, I run back and toss the tools in the hatch and grab my digital camera to snap a few pictures of my car up in flames.

I LOL'd once I read this statement AHAHAHAHA

Ouch! That fire sucks.
I removed my strut tower bar shortly after buying my car; how close it was to the positive cable bugged me.

Love the car as always Corey. Can't wait to see more updates.

Very nice car indeed, but at the begining of the build, what brand is that down pipe?

Very nice car indeed, but at the begining of the build, what brand is that down pipe?
Road Race Engineering 2.5" inlet to 3" flex back. PM me, I've got it sitting in my garage collecting dust if you're interested.

18JAN2009 - Finally Got My Car Back!
Lucky for me I had fire coverage on my car insurance so after a $250 deductible and a few weeks at the Mitsu dealership everything damaged in the fire was fixed. What a relief too, since State Farm was threatening to total the car since the extent of the damage was over $2000. :coy:

To say the least, I was happy as hell to have my DSM back. The dealership replaced the throttle cable from the CC box to the TB, engine wiring harness, passenger side brake line (which was SS), and starter to battery wiring harness too.

after the fire.jpg

Last edited:
21MAR2009 - Nology Hotwires Install

A local DSM buddy had a BEP TD05 hotside that I wanted for my 16g and with it came a set of some Nology Hotwire spark plug wires. I installed the spark plug wires to replace my nasty blue NGK's that were years old, I think the install came out pretty clean.

079.jpg

080.jpg

08APR2009 - Drivetrain Swap Day 1: Pulling the FWD Rear Suspension & Interior

After a few weeks of gathering parts and researching how to do a 5-speed AWD swap (from an A/T FWD) I was confident enough that my friend Dan and I could do it successfully. To be completely honest though, neither of us had any idea what we were getting ourselves into and were a bit nervous about it to say the least. We took the swap one bolt at a time and learned as we went and, with a little luck and hard work, the car dropped off the jackstands as a 5-speed GSX. I learned A TON about my car and enjoyed every minute of doing the swap, although there were a few snags along the way. WORTH IT! :hellyeah:

DSCN1714.jpg

DSCN1715.jpg

DSCN1716.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

DSCN1720.jpg

DSCN1722.jpg

DSCN1728.jpg

DSCN1729.jpg

DSCN1733.jpg

DSCN1738.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1742.jpg

DSCN1746.jpg

DSCN1748.jpg

DSCN1757.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back