The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

6266 Build or Bust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i dont touch wires, ill do anything else but not wires and when i wired in my first boost gauge, i felt on top of the world LOL yours look alot harder than a manual boost gauge though so mad props LOL :applause:

Glad to help in any way I can. God, you're so lucky to have good welder on tap. One of my last projects is to get my intercooler piping redone because as of right now I have 4 angled couplers and one extra coupler section for length that need to be improved upon. It's always bad to have 45/90 degree couplers as they come off under high boost for some reason.

As for wiring, take a look at the fuse box I installed in my center arm rest. That's really the way to go. Not saying you should put it in the arm rest but having a dedicated fuse box that has all of your power for all your gauges accessories is best instead of wires connecting to random switched-power wires like cigarette/radio etc. Also, when you start adding lots of gauges and sensors then you can't just tap 5 gauges to your cigarette power ( not that you did that).

16897115-2285-4E4B-8565-862B9AE49FFC.jpeg
Got’er done! I’m happier than a kid at Christmas LOL, my Boss finished up the welding on the upper intercooler pipe which was the LAST piece of the puzzle.
F81B9EDE-1307-49CE-8F7B-701500C70C88.jpeg
Install wasn’t too bad, had to notch out a little more by the radiator with the ole grinder which I didn’t take pictures of, but you guys know about that LOL, anyways I think it came out nice, it’s so surreal, that this 2 year project is ready to START!
87CB719B-034D-4898-A7AC-5CB48B349639.jpeg
So I hope you guys have enjoyed the build, I know there’s soo many more detailed and much gnarlier builds, but I appreciate the comments and feedback, I’ll post a video of it running tomorrow :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Last edited:
Quick update: Started the car yesterday with my brother n law, she took a minute to fire off in the low 30’s temp outside on e85 and, Holy Sh%t it sounded like a different car LOL, it was so freaking loud! I couldn’t get it to idle so no video yet. Didn’t have long either as we had to take the kids trick or treating, oil pressure was high like I figured, 90 psi to 100 when we revved it out, and it’s got a small leak somewhere around the OFH, so today I’m gonna tinker, re boost leak test, adjust the stop screw on the s90 etc etc. hopefully I can get a video for you guys soon :thumb:

D9FA7DD4-C3D9-4FBA-B4F9-C43D08BCB67C.jpeg
Found my hard start culprit. Severed coolant temp sensor wire, along with a disconnected coolant temp gauge sensor connector LOL. I know I know I don’t deserve this car LOL, these are the overlooked casualties of a 2 year project okay? I’ve since ordered 2 new connector pig tails from OHM-RACING, but in the mean time I’m gonna get a couple female spade connectors for the temp sensor and solder this up for the gauge sensor.
8B8289BC-2958-49A3-BB5C-E2441AA25250.jpeg
I can’t wait for the pig tails so I’m gonna J-rig these connectors to please the ecu so I can hear this thing idle, top off coolant, and set base timing :rocks:

Hey guys…
DA4DD82F-6A4D-4986-9831-FB6C3FBEAE19.jpeg
Haha F@%k yeah! So far the car hasn’t idled yet cuz it wouldn’t stay running, first start last Sunday it didn’t want to start, I figured well it’s in the low 30’s outside on e85. I then checked codes in ecmlink and it showed coolant temp sensor circuit malfunction, so I checked my coolant temp sensor and sure enough 1 of the 2 wires was severed, so as stated above I ordered a new pigtail. But In the meantime I decided to just get some spade connectors in hopes of getting it to idle.
DEF7E878-F0AA-4664-B2B8-1737B1BFE849.jpeg
82D43FCD-DC33-4CFD-8AAC-50936E46A01A.jpeg
Worked. So this past Wednesday after work I give it another go with high hopes, she fired right up, but still wouldn’t idle on its own, the third time or so I held it steady at 1800 rpms, got coolant temp just over 100 degrees, let off and it died. I decided to take a peak under the car and see oil everywhereOMG. I’m like WTF! I then notice it clearly has coolant or something mixed in so I’m like great! Started drinking and called it a night. The last couple of nights I’ve been brainstorming over the oil leak and the mix, after looking thru old build photos I discovered the leak.
6A89C9AD-A14A-46D9-9D90-39BF935E86FB.jpeg
When I did the balance shaft delete I never plugged this hole where the balancer tensioner pulley went, I figured this has to be it LOL
145CD708-9126-435C-A3A3-06B7A4387F9F.jpeg
So today I dug in and plugged that dad gum leak LOL.
92BAAEF1-07B0-45A0-A54A-99B3ED1E9116.jpeg
Cleaned everything up while I was in there, thankfully there was NO oil on the timing belt, after reading a bunch of old threads and Google posts, and getting my hand covered in this happy oil it smells like ONE thing, E85 LOL. I’m pretty certain when we were priming the engine last Sunday and just dumping fuel without spark on a fresh build with looser clearances some of that fuel could’ve made its way to the crankcase and mixed with the oil. If it weren’t for that terrible oil leak I would’ve ran this contaminated oil even longer in the engine which wouldn’t have been good. So I guess the moral of tonight’s story is sometimes these bad episodes in the never ending series of dsm’s can have a positive silver lining LOL. Tomorrow my brother n law and I will do a coolant pressure test to verify it’s not a HG, which I’m certain it’s not, but I don’t mind the assurance, then we’ll start her up again with a much leaner global on the 2150’s to see if I can get this old picky high maintenance B%tch to idle LOL, wish me luck!

Well boys looks like project bust continues LOL. After a couple diagnostic tests, a coolant pressure test, which the car passed with flying colors like I new it would, we go to compression test it and right off the bat find out cylinder #1 has ZERO compression. :rocks::rocks:. The rest went 150,160,150. I live at 6000ft above sea level so I don’t think those numbers are too bad, we then removed the valve cover and put some air in cylinder#1 and could hear it leaking past one of the intake valves, also we noticed one of the rollers had some play on top of the lifter or hla, where as all other 15 were solid, so it could be a valve guide or seat issue I don’t know, but needless to say the head will be going back to Santa’s workshop LOL

Thanks Tony! I will for sure man, I’m honestly not too upset, everything under the hood of my car is still technically fine, minus the 1 valve that won’t close LOL, there’s worse issues for sure, I’m gonna get this head off and hopefully back on before Christmas :thumb:

Amen brotha! How’s that dogbox treating you?

Well I'm gradually liking it better and better but I wouldn't say yet that I actually Like it - it's more just that I enjoy the challenge of it, trying to make shifts that are minimally violent. Because I want the thing to last. I'm a little bit taken aback by a comment Tim Zimmer made in a post a few weeks ago, about the QM twin disk clutches not liking trailing throttle so much. My roads around here, there are a lot of trailing throttle approaches to curves, sometimes from high revs in 2nd gear because that saves having to shift into 3rd.

I haven't driven it for a few weeks because I started working on changing the MAP sensor to an AEM which has a whole different type of mounting. Just about the time I got a nice bracket made, I had to make a trip to Denver, then it was cleaning up after wind storms blew half the national forest onto my house and yard, then building a new computer, then, then, then, you know.
I have a joke with my neighbor who is completely rebuilding his RB26 motor after the bearings went, taking the motor and turbos out. Who will get their car back on the road first. Me or him. On YouTube he is JDM Right Hand Drive - https://www.youtube.com/c/JDMRightHandDrive/featured

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back