The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt vs. 7 bolt [merged] 6bolt 7bolt 6-bolt 7-bolt six bolt seven bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdfzxc

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2002
Edmonton
All 6 bolt vs. 7 bolt threads are merged here.
How do I tell if I have a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 6 bolt fit a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 7 bolt fit a 6 bolt?
Which one is better?
How do I swap my x bolt for an x bolt?

What is the difference between 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines (aside from the obvious - 6 vs. 7 bolts connecting the flywheel :p )

Is there an advantage over either of the two engines?

Thanks,

-Mike

okay thanks. another stupid question, what's "Crankwalk" exactly mean? i can get an idea but...

They cars actually switched over to 7 bolt in the middle of 1992. If it is a 92.5 or older it will be a six bolt. If it is a 92.5 or newer it will have a 7 bolt.

It is when the crank will slide from side to side. Like if you pulled on the crank pulley you could move it out a little, then push it back in. It is very small movement, not like you can see it move a few inches. But it will kill your engine quick.

I am trying to find out if my engine is a six bolt or a seven bolt. I have done research some say March, some say April, others say June is when the seven bolt came. My car was manufactured on April 3, 1992. Do any of you know when it was actually swapped to a seven bolt. I am really curious. I know that its around April and stuff. Please let me know if you have any advice for me. My car is a 1992 Eagle Talon TSI FWD.

i have a 2g with a 1g motor... what radiator hoses do i use? i find that you use one of a 1g and one from a 2g. but which is which??????????

It will more than likely have a 7 bolt unless someone swapped it over to a 6 bolt. The bad thng about a 7 bolt is that they crankwalk alot. Which is not good.

It is obvious to tell them apart. 7 bolt has 7 bolts holding the flywheel on the crank. 6 bolt has 6 bolts holding the flywheel on the crank.

I don't think so, you better check your facts, theres less than 2000 REAL cases.

Very similar motors really..

THe reference to 6 bolt and 7 bolt refer to the amount of bolts on the flywheel.

The internals(mainly rods) on the 6bolt, are stronger.

The 7 bolts are known for crankwalk.

The 6 bolt is a superior motor, but not by much.

6 bolts were in production GSTs, GSXs and TSis from late 89 to 92. 93s and up use the 7 bolt.

EDIT - I type slow, el oh el!!

Only the bigger rods are superior, everything else isnt.

Wow, bolts. What about head flow, the main girdle, the lighter crank that gives up nothing for strength, the superior pistons, exhaust manifold, and even the extra bolt on the flywheel, etc.

Yeah, who cares about fastener strength?
I don't see the problem. All 4g63t's are a great 4 cylinder engine, probably the best. A stock six bolt can take more power than a stock 7 bolt.

Great, arguing over which one is better. More drama. This is now turning into another one of THOSE threads. Fill me in when it's over, otherwise I guess I'll just unsubscribe to another drama filled thread with bickering. I have better things to do than to read through pages full of this crap when trying to search for good info.

Hey guys, I have a 94 Laser Turbo AWD, so I know its a 7 bolt.

Right now I'm tearing her apart and she's gonna be my project car.

Now as far as rebuilding the motor I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Is the 1G 7 bolt block as good as the 6 bolt block, everyone seems to write the 6 bolt has stronger rods but is there any advantage to me getting a new block as well.

Or the two other, hopefully cheaper alternatives. Buy a stroker kit, (possibly one of the ones from slowboy) or just get new pistons/rods and use my existing 7 bolt crank. If I got a 6 bolt stroker kit would it be pretty easy to swap in, I know I would need a new flywheel, but would I need much else? Or should I just get the 7 bolt stroker kit?

I guess in my mind my final goals are gonna be around 350-400 whp on a S256, mainly street driven. Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post, it's my first!:)

ok, how can you reduce chance of getting crank walk then?

You can reduce your chance by going 6 bolt.
Slightly reduce your chance by building your 7 bolt internals.
Possibly reduce your chance by not using a heavy pressure plate (manual only).

Hey guys, I have a 94 Laser Turbo AWD, so I know its a 7 bolt.

Right now I'm tearing her apart and she's gonna be my project car.

Now as far as rebuilding the motor I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Is the 1G 7 bolt block as good as the 6 bolt block, everyone seems to write the 6 bolt has stronger rods but is there any advantage to me getting a new block as well.

Or the two other, hopefully cheaper alternatives. Buy a stroker kit, (possibly one of the ones from slowboy) or just get new pistons/rods and use my existing 7 bolt crank. If I got a 6 bolt stroker kit would it be pretty easy to swap in, I know I would need a new flywheel, but would I need much else? Or should I just get the 7 bolt stroker kit?

I guess in my mind my final goals are gonna be around 350-400 whp on a S256, mainly street driven. Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post, it's my first!:)

That's a lot of questions for 1 post. You have a power goal but what about a budget? If the sky is the limit than buy a 6 bolt block, stroke it, and build it. However if you are strapped for cash then you could probably run 350-400hp on your stock block with out any problems. The next step up would be to build your 7 bolt with pistons, rods, bearings, and ARPs. There are many options but they all cost money.

Hope this helps!

This is the easiest way to tell.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The image above shows a 7 bolt. If it was a 6 bolt, the front case/oil pan flange would not have that dip in it, but would instead be straight across. I don't recommend people go by humps/bumps in the oil pan any more since most of them are dented everywhere.

So I used that writeup to see what the engine was in a junk yard. It was in-correct...

This block had a 7-bolt oil pan and a 6-bolt crank. Its a n/t 4G63 though, no oil squirter's and a 7-bolt ofh.

Did the older n/t engines come like that? Or was this something that was dont after the fact.

ok so i have a 93 es talon and a 92 gs eclipse engine no i was told that if the timing is on the right side of the motor it is 6 bolt both of my enngines look exactly the same so does that i have 2 6 bolts or a 6 and 7

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back