The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt vs. 7 bolt [merged] 6bolt 7bolt 6-bolt 7-bolt six bolt seven bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdfzxc

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2002
Edmonton
All 6 bolt vs. 7 bolt threads are merged here.
How do I tell if I have a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 6 bolt fit a 7 bolt?
Will x part from a 7 bolt fit a 6 bolt?
Which one is better?
How do I swap my x bolt for an x bolt?

What is the difference between 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines (aside from the obvious - 6 vs. 7 bolts connecting the flywheel :p )

Is there an advantage over either of the two engines?

Thanks,

-Mike

Thanks for the information guys.

I'll have to take a look tomorrow after I get home.

Unfortunately the guy who I took this from wasn't to happy that I took it... let alone bought it, LOL. So it's difficult to get answers from them.

And since this is my first dsm, it's a learning process for me!

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the offer! I'm sure you've seen my tow truck around as much as I've been around the midstate and then some, LOL.

I'm actually headed up to Dan's Frame Shop (Carlisle Pike) on the 1st to throw on the rad support and crossmember.

Follow the water return for the turbo, the outside of the block between 3 and 4 seven bolt has a spot where return water from the turbo goes -- six bolt does not.

seven bolt has two more bolts where the engine connects to the tranny. If you have empty bolt holes at the extreme front and rear of the tranny - it is a six bolt.

As far as the oil pan and front cover they can be changed.

so im looking at buying a 90 tsi awd. but the guy said he swapped the motor cause the old one blew, and it has a t25 on it. but yet he says it is a 6 bolt motor still. hows the easiest way to tell if its a 6bolt since i cant just rip the tranny out? also it had on of them stupid internal oil coolers with the antifreeze line running to it? what about the number on the front where it says 4g63? any certain number or letter on that part stating if it is a 6 or 7 bolt? thanks

ya i found that way, but that is not very clear to me. i would just like to know if the numbers/letters on the front of the block can identify. oh and by the way, dropping the tranny is not a option to find out.:rolleyes:

i also have this delema, cause my oil pan bumps outward like a 6 bolt, yet my car was built in 7/92..... and i know for a fact that my engine is the original

i also have this delema, cause my oil pan bumps outward like a 6 bolt, yet my car was built in 7/92..... and i know for a fact that my engine is the original

I believe 7 bolt started in 93....or at least late late 92 so you probably are on the very tail end of the 6 bolt production

I was wondering which head would be better, the 6bolt or 7bolt? I have a 1G that I'm building a motor for. I'm keeping the 6bolt block, but I've been told that 7bolt heads flow better as well as deliver better midrange torque, but the 6bolt head is better for top end. Which head would be better for a 350-400whp monster?

I'd just slap a 1G head on it and call it done. I think the problems that you may get from the sensors on the 2G head would not really outweigh any supposed benefit. Last time I read through the thread, the answer was negligble. Are you planning on some really high HP numbers any time soon? If not, just get it done and back on the road.

d

I'm only planning on 400whp tops. I have a motor that I'm building on tha side. From what I understand, I can put tha 1G CAS on tha 7bolt head. Someone please confirm this. Thanks!

As far as 7bolt blocks, all 2G 7bolts are vulnerable to CW. Mid '95-early '97 are most vulnerable. 7bolts made for tha '99 model year are least likely to CW because they're redesigned with tha Evo crank.

ok guys im brand new to dsm's. i traded my 240 for a 1995 talon. and all i keep hearing about is 6 bolt and 7bolt. which is better? why is it better? mine is non turbo, front wheel drive. what is in my car? im really pleased with the car. a buddy has a brand new turbo kit in the box. would my engine be able to handle it? i really wanna install it on my car just to say its turbo. i owuldnt be getting on it hard or anything. please somebody help me!!! LOL thanks!

ok guys im brand new to dsm's. i traded my 240 for a 1995 talon. and all i keep hearing about is 6 bolt and 7bolt. which is better? why is it better? mine is non turbo, front wheel drive. what is in my car? im really pleased with the car. a buddy has a brand new turbo kit in the box. would my engine be able to handle it? i really wanna install it on my car just to say its turbo. i owuldnt be getting on it hard or anything. please somebody help me!!! LOL thanks!

Use the search button, don't mean to sound rude but all your answers can be found by searching.
Type in "420a turbo" in the search fields and you will get plenty of results.

why aren't people swappin in the SPLIT THRUST BEARING 99 motors into their cars as a solution instead of the 6 bolts.. i wish the FVKKIN werd crankwalk got wiped off the planet... porsches crankwalk... all cars can crankwalk other thank horozontally opposed ... i've known hundreds of dsmers and i've only actually seen 1 engine crankwalk... it was a 6 bolts.. HE BEAT THE PISS OUTTA IT TOO>..... but why don't i ever hear of the 99 engine swap??.. people just not informed?.. just wondering...

^^ because alot of people out there dont know squat about cars and when they hear crank walk they associate it with the 2G body style. So they just go with the "safe" 1G 6-bolt which is not thouroghly known for crank walk

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back