The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

6 bolt vs. Revised 7 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIT

Proven Member
Jul 20, 2015
Wisconsin
I've searched and searched and haven't gotten a definitive answer. Some say 7 bolts are terrible and all walk and others (which make more sense) are saying they shouldn't walk, especially a revised one. My question is, is the 6 bolt swap worth it? Not looking at stock vs stock here I'm talking built revised 7 bolt or built 6 bolt. I have a 1998 eclipse with 135k miles on it and I'm looking to do a pretty serious build. I plan on doing all supporting mods and get the car ready to make great power this winter, about 400awhp this year. Then next winter build a motor and transmission and make more power. Long term I will only really want about 600awhp out of the car and I know a 6 bolt could do it but I'd prefer to build it for piece of mind and so I can reliably rev higher. The only thing that would stop me from building the 7 bolt is crankwalk after the rebuild which I've read a lot about. A lot of the threads I've read are old and the newer they are it seems the more pro-7 bolt people are. In short I want an end-all thread on crankwalk in revised 7 bolts and I want to know if I should get a 6 bolt or if building my 7 bolt is safe. Thanks

The crankwalk thing is overrated. I've got a revised 7 bolt making close to 600hp. This is also a built 2.3 stroker motor. I have at least 25 low 11 runs. Car runs perfect and gets daily driven to work during the summer and yes from time to time I get on it on the way to work. I also have a stock engine 97 Talon with the non-revised block and that one has an FP68hta pushing 30psi on e85 for over a year now and again, no signs of giving up. I say build your 7 bolt.

There's been a ton of crank walked 7 bolts, but like above, there's probably a ton more that have been fine. I have a early 7 bolt and opted for a 6 bolt swap. It's currently in progress,but I would have been fine with a 7 bolt as well. I believe that machining is key for any proper setup though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back