The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

565/524 hx-40

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindBlowin03

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 11, 2002
Jessup, Pennsylvania
Took the car to the dyno last weekend. Put down 542/512 off the street and ended up with 565awhp and 524 lb/ft of torque. Im super happy with the torque number and curve in general. Mods are in my profile. This was with 93 octane and 75/25 meth/water mix. Car never knocked but at 38psi and 18* timing I was afraid of pushing coolant and/or a head gasket. Plus I had a two hour drive home.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

YouTube - Mindblowin03 Dyno 565 AWHP Hx-40
YouTube - 024
YouTube - Mindblowin03 565 AWHP 523 Ft/Lbs.

Last edited:
Great numbers, now its time to see what you can trap in the 1/4 mile... My moneys on 135mph. :thumb:
Mods are in my profile.
Stock fuel pump and 500+hp thats amazing... :coy:

:dsm:

Seems like some pretty low numbers for 38 psi? 6 7 8 blade hx40? Guy on link forums made like 656 dynojet on 36 psi with .70 ar turbine housing? Any chance you could post your log from dsmlink up?

Thanks

You still on a 7 bolt or did u do a 6 bolt swap ? I didnt see it in your profile\

Seems like some pretty low numbers for 38 psi? 6 7 8 blade hx40? Guy on link forums made like 656 dynojet on 36 psi with .70 ar turbine housing? Any chance you could post your log from dsmlink up?

Thanks
Keep in mind this is on a 56mm HX-40 and Im running a Cyclone intake manifold. Most guys in the 550whp range only put down about 425 lb/ft of torque, if that. Im seeing 38psi by 4800 RPMs in most logs. Im sure if I threw on a SMIM Id crack 600whp with ease.

It will not let me upload the log because I uploaded in the Holset results thread. You can see it there if you'd like.

You still on a 7 bolt or did u do a 6 bolt swap ? I didnt see it in your profile\
6 bolt.

Last edited:
Aw... 56 mm inducer makes alot of sense, also the cyclone intake is killin your top end but that spool is awesome compared to mine :( 58mm inducer 8 blade hx40 .70 ar t3, seeing 17 psi by like 5k ha. Sucks getting there but once it does, its NUTS, and im on low boost cause never got a chance to up it before the transmission died.

Gives me hope as i am running the same turbo and i have not found much info on it. Only difference is i have the .55 housing, so it should spool pretty good. Thanks for the post

Thanks

Im the guy who made 656whp/527 ftlbs...However, because of my wastegate configuration and exhaust configuration, it spiked 36psi but peak power was made at 32 psi. Im on E70 currently as well, I tried pump gas(94 octane) for a while and hated it. When i still had my old intake manifold, at 27psi, I made 570whp/425ftlbs on E85.

I will say, my new intake manifold is not an off the shelf manifold, and it picked up tons of torque when I put this one on. Also, spool up was faster confirmed through dsmlink.

My holset is a 7 blade Hx-40, 60mm billet wheel, .70ar housing

Here is my dyno sheet as a comparison: As you can see peak torque was made at the spike, but peak whp wasnt made until boost had settled to 32 psi(this was confirmed through the log)

-Kevin-

Kevin, what kind of timing advance did you have to see those numbers? What about AFRs?

Side questions... Was your 10.8@131 with the 656/527 power? How do you like the Southbend/2600 combo? I currently have just a 2600/2g disk setup which is working fine for now but want to switch this winter.

Kevin, what kind of timing advance did you have to see those numbers? What about AFRs?

Side questions... Was your 10.8@131 with the 656/527 power? How do you like the Southbend/2600 combo? I currently have just a 2600/2g disk setup which is working fine for now but want to switch this winter.

Peak timing on the dyno was 21 degrees...Anything more than that and we were not gaining much more. AFR's at 12.4-12.5 on E70

The 10.8 @ 131 was done at 570whp/425ftlbs on a not so good track. Im heading to the track this Saturday to run the car for the last time this year on the new power.

The ACT/Southbend combo is great. The drivability is perfect and it has had no problems holding the power/torque. Ive ran the car on slicks about 8 passes, and I was launching on a two step only at 6k with 7psi on the line and it feels great.

-Kevin-

I love your car, super clean and put up some good numbers. Im excited to see some track times. The fastest ive got my car is 12.48 at 111 mph however the density altitude that day was somewhere around 8500ft. Stupid high altitude states LOL

The 10.8 @ 131 was done at 570whp/425ftlbs on a not so good track. Im heading to the track this Saturday to run the car for the last time this year on the new power.

The ACT/Southbend combo is great. The drivability is perfect and it has had no problems holding the power/torque. Ive ran the car on slicks about 8 passes, and I was launching on a two step only at 6k with 7psi on the line and it feels great.

-Kevin-

I'm running the same clutch setup in my 1g, it really is a great combo. I've made multiple 11 second passes at over 120mph and I can't even count how many launches. It's still going strong too.

Yeah, after all these years I'm finally starting to have some time to pick up again on all these Talon projects that have been active in the mind but 0 on the ground! :)

I got looking again at the wmi nozzle location pictures you sent me a long time ago, because wmi could be happening pretty soon for me, I've got the stuff for it.

Then I noticed on the dyno run you posted in 2010, that thing is making ~190 dynojet whp already at 4000 rpm. To me that seems mighty good for an HX 40 on a 70ar turbine housing.

I suppose some of that is because of the cyclone intake manifold.
But do you think the wmi is picking up your spool some also, compared to what it would be with straight 93 octane? It seems like with the 25%/75% water/meth ratio you are using, it could be. So what do you think about that question?

Whether it is or isn't helping spool, I'd still like to know a little bit about what you use to switch in the wmi flow, things like: turn on by boost only?, by boost and something else? Turn on full flow all at once, or does it come in progressive? What rpm do you start it, what rpm does it get up to 100%? You know, stuff like that.

Few facts first...
- It is a progressive controller
- It is switched only on boost via the controller
- I believe it starts at 12psi and is fully spraying at 20psi
- I skewed my DSMlink settings so that my HP and TQ are nearly identical to my actual WHP and WTQ numbers. This helps in future tuning for myself.

I looked at that log from the dyno and at 4000 RPMs it said I was making 14psi, 180hp and 235tq. I forget exactly where the meth starts but Im pretty sure its about 12psi.

That being said, I think the meth injection has zero(0) factor in the fast spool-up and this is where the Cyclone intake really shines. In other words, IMO running straight 93 octane would yield the same spool-up and and power results that you see above.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know. Glad I can help in any way!

Yeah, seems like the wmi wasn't helping then, at least not the early part of the spool, because it must have been just getting started a hair before 4000 rpm.

I also see in your profile an alternator relocation - was that to make room for the exhaust/downpipe coming out of your holset? I've never had a 2g so I'm not too clear on how it looks in there, but on my 1g I know the sideways 1990 oil filter is the #1 thing that would get hit, and the alternator would be close behind.

Your 1150cc fuel injectors - how close do you come to maxing those out with a run like you did on the dyno? I'm starting to look at injectors all over again because the evom people who formerly used low-Z injectors like we all did are now starting to use high-Z injectors, taking the load resistors out of thier cars , and so-forth. Fine, except as far as I know there is a big gap in the sizes available between 1100cc and 2150cc (FIC). I still think that theoretically at least, the low-Z peak-and-hold type injectors should work the best - provided they are driven by a real peak-and-hold injector driver which almost nobody has. The injector thing should probably be a thread somewhere, but if your 1150's held up ok, then I'll probably be ok, because what I'm looking for peak on pump gas + wmi is about what you've got already in your 2010 dyno run! :hellyeah:

Yes, the alternator relocation was to make room for the custom downpipe that was made. I also installed a forward facing OFH to make even more room(and also to keep the heat away).

I usually see ~63% IDC tops on any run. Definitely no signs of maxing them out. Before WMI I was seeing ~70% IDC at only 20psi and 15* timing.

I usually see ~63% IDC tops on any run. Definitely no signs of maxing them out. Before WMI I was seeing ~70% IDC at only 20psi and 15* timing.

Aha! Then you really are running quite a large amount of meth/water, as you said back in 2010, when you figured it was about 1000cc/min.

Ok here's the next thing. I've been looking at this huge peak in power/torque that we see (I see) between about 4800 and 6200 rpm. Cyclone manifold, I know. But I'm thinking maybe there is also a pretty big boost spike there too.

Here's what I see when I look at the picture from your Link log. I'm looking for boost, because I want to see if your log knows what the boost was at all times during the pull. I see a GM 3.3 bar MAP. It says 38.6 psi at the current spot, but the bright silver curve for it is totally flat-lined through that whole region that I'm looking at. So the MAP is apparently totally maxed out and reading flat as a gage table. Then the fainter silver/gray line which is Link BoostEst peaks way the heck up higher in that region, but follows the MAP curve everywhere else. So I'm thinking you may be doing well over 40 psi for a while in that region. BoostEst is still going up like a rocket at the point where the MAP signal hits its ceiling. What do you think about that?

I also wonder if a GM 3.3 bar MAP can even read to 38.6 psi, because 3.3 bar absolute would be about 33.4 psi of boost. Maybe it can go "off scale" a few psi.

Anyway, I know that up in post #1 it says 38 psi, but do you have any idea what the boost actually gets up to in that area around 5500 rpm?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back