The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink 2G ECMLink connection issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B00stAddictedGsx

Proven Member
Oct 10, 2016
bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Hello and welcome everyone to my little corner of electrical hell, I have emailed ECMLink multiple times with no response and I'm starting to pull my hair out with this connection issue.(this is not a dig at ECMLink from what I understand it's a small operation) So I'm going to start from the beginning and hope anyone can chime in with useful advice. I have had my ecmlink for over a year now, I had ecmlink v3 installed by F.I.G. and I haven't been able to connect this whole year. Ive checked fuzes, pulled the dash to check wiring, uninstalled and reinstalled ALL SOFTWARE AND DRIVERS OVER 25 times, ect. I even had a buddy drive his ecmlink v3 and cable down and once plugged in it booted in 3 seconds in my car , so I know it's not my cars wiring. I then took my ECU and checked the continuity of EVERY pin in the eprom only to find nothing. Could this be a data corruption issue? The car was apparently set up, tuned, then handed to me. However since the day I got the car back I have not been able to connect. Thank you for any insight you may have. ( please save my hair ) I will provide photos of my board in case I have Missed anything.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• IMG_20190612_103000_213.jpg
    IMG_20190612_103000_213.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20190612_103042_803.jpg
    IMG_20190612_103042_803.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20190612_103046_772.jpg
    IMG_20190612_103046_772.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 95
I would be looking at the cable as the culprit. I know that after frequent use the wiring inside the sheathing is starting to go bad at the USB connector on mine. I need to solder up a new connector..
There isn't a decent enough strain relief (anti-bend protector) so when a laptop is on a seat and the cable is jammed against the seatback, over time the wires are damaged. Something longer and made of slightly softer material would make for more durability due to larger bend radius.

I am not saying this is your problem, only mine, but what essentially amounts to a bad cable causes frequent connectivity issues for me. For a while I thought it was the usb port on the laptop itself but fiddling with the cable made the difference, not changing ports. Perhaps your cable is totally shot. Somebody pinch it in the door at one point?

Did you try your cable in his car?

Last edited:
As someone suggested it could be your cable. Did you try your cable with your friend's ECU? I've had the cable go bad before, or at least spotty (it works sometimes, kind of have to wiggle it around and it's unreliable) and needed to buy a replacement.

I have tried my cable with his computer and it didn't connect. I then tried his cable and computer and it connected. I then swapped his computer with mine and used his cable and it wouldn't connect either...

Here is a photo of the error message
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Have you tried different ports on the computer? Mine likes to play that funny game sometimes also and I just plug into another port and retry it.

I have tried my cable with his computer and it didn't connect. I then tried his cable and computer and it connected. I then swapped his computer with mine and used his cable and it wouldn't connect either...
I've had some laptops just not connect and I've not found a rhyme or reason. Tried various ports, verifying drivers... just won't connect. Connect to another laptop and boom everything works. In those cases I've not yet found a rhyme or reason but it's incredibly frustrating. Even moreso for me as I work with computers for a living so to not puzzle this out drives me nuts, but I eventually built a dedicated ecmlink laptop that did connect and just moved on from the issue.

With that said, did you verify that on your laptop the cable is being set to com3? It's possible your software is looking only at com3 but the device is on another. I've had that happen before. You'd need to check device manager to see which com port is being assigned. There's an option in ecmlink to just scan available com ports that's supposed to make it unimportant which com port your cable gets assigned but I have had it not work right sometimes and found it necessary to force the com port in ecmlink to match the cable assignment. Also I recall certain serial port settings are required and yours might not be set properly, but for the life of me i can't recall what they are. I want to say 9600 baud and N 8 1. Maybe this will jar someone's memory.

The fact that you tried his computer with your cable and couldn't connect though leads me to believe that at least part of the problem here is your cable, so I would order another one.

I've tried this with a MacBook pro 2013 with an SSD conversion, ram upgrade, and battery upgrade (I like to mod things) :idontknow:, and a Dell professional laptop running Windows...also upgraded.

I've emailed ECMTuning multiple times requesting an ID so that I can search the forums for an answer to this question but have yet to receive anything back...

I just wanted to let everyone know I sent the ecu in and was told it was an issue with my diagnostic line. They switched it to Connect even with this issue however I sacrificed the obd readability (good thing it was just inspected so ill have time to trace it and fix the issue). Now I am just having an issue getting the car to start on speed density... ill make a post about that later but this one can be closed. Thank you all so much!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back