The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 1g tuning help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noitsalaser

Probationary Member
Apr 20, 2022
clearfield, Utah
Hi everyone. Im new to dsm and tuning injected cars.

I recently bought a manual 90 laser rs with a built block, evo cams, an auto turbo and dsmlink. Its running lean and misses when warmed up.

I picked up a laptop and downloaded ecmlink v3. I don't fully understand the program itself. Im sure its running lean throughout the rpm range cause when i let off the throttle it jumps forward like it suddenly found power.

I need some help here. Also i do not have a wideband yet.

Pictures of the laser

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some of these classic jafro videos will help you get a grasp on the tuning software. It’s been a long time since I watched them so I don’t remember what all is there, but hopefully they help some. Here is “tuning 101” but there are a few more in a series. You should see them in his playlist.

Edit: if it’s running lean you might start by checking for boost leaks. He has a video on that as well or we have write ups here in the resource section under maintenance guide.

Last edited:
Maybe some of these classic jafro videos will help you get a grasp on the tuning software. It’s been a long time since I watched them so I don’t remember what all is there, but hopefully they help some. Here is “tuning 101” but there are a few more in a series. You should see them in his playlist.

Edit: if it’s running lean you might start by checking for boost leaks. He has a video on that as well or we have write ups here in the resource section under maintenance guide.

thanks for the info. i will definitely watch those so i know where to start tuning.

edit: i am currently looking for new SMIC piping to replace the old factory rubber stuff. i was worried about boost leaks because of dry rot

Need a wideband to have an idea of whats going on.
yeah i know... its not quite in the budget at the moment. i have a shop nearby that might let me hook up to their emissions tester while i change things.

Pull the plugs and post a pic of them
i will try to tomorrow at work.

Last edited:
i pulled the plugs on my lunch today.
They are in order 1-4

Plugs look rich rather than lean. Running super rich will also make the car seem like it has no power. Boost leak test needs to be done and go from there with other maintenance until you can afford a wideband sensor. (Boost leaks will cause the car to run rich under acceleration)

DEFIINATELY RICH.
Porcelain should be whitish tan. The black soot is a sure sign of too much fuel/not enough air.

My advice would be to start with the stock file for your car. There's no real reason that car should need to be tuned via ECMLink from what I'm seeing.

You say that it has a built bottom end, but the previous owner installed a smaller turbo from the automatic cars.

Load a stock 1G file into the ECMLink. There's no reason I'm seeing in the pictures, or reading in your info that indicates that you need anything but the stock file to have the car run well. Then do *MAINTENANCE* on the car. Correct stock plugs (NGK BPR6ES), change the fluids & filters, try to figure out when that timing belt (which looks old in the pictures) was last replaced.

*THEN* start trying to mess with the ECMLink and adding upgrades. Go to ECMtuning's website and read up on the basics--all the information is there. Until you have read the basics, asking anything here is a waste of time. Once you've read through that an gotten some basic information, hit everyone here up for clarification on things that don't make sense.

I would guess that there's a maintenance/former "mechanic" issue causing your issues as opposed to something needing to be dialed in via ECMLink.

Learn how to log with ECMLink for starters. Share the logs here--that may give us/you more information for possible mechanical fixes that need to be performed.

My advice would be to start with the stock file for your car. There's no real reason that car should need to be tuned via ECMLink from what I'm seeing.

You say that it has a built bottom end, but the previous owner installed a smaller turbo from the automatic cars.

Load a stock 1G file into the ECMLink. There's no reason I'm seeing in the pictures, or reading in your info that indicates that you need anything but the stock file to have the car run well. Then do *MAINTENANCE* on the car. Correct stock plugs (NGK BPR6ES), change the fluids & filters, try to figure out when that timing belt (which looks old in the pictures) was last replaced.

*THEN* start trying to mess with the ECMLink and adding upgrades. Go to ECMtuning's website and read up on the basics--all the information is there. Until you have read the basics, asking anything here is a waste of time. Once you've read through that an gotten some basic information, hit everyone here up for clarification on things that don't make sense.

I would guess that there's a maintenance/former "mechanic" issue causing your issues as opposed to something needing to be dialed in via ECMLink.

Learn how to log with ECMLink for starters. Share the logs here--that may give us/you more information for possible mechanical fixes that need to be performed.
It has a stock tune on it. I haven't messed with link besides trying to figure out logging and understanding the program. I was told it was running lean by the mechanic that hooked me up to the emissions tester in manual mode. Learning more about o2 readings i see i was given false information. The tester was reading like 9.8 when we want 14.7. In the tune most sensors are shut off. Done before i got the car. I'm too scared to make changes in the tune till i learn more. I've had an n/a honda and carb cars. This is my first boosted vehicle and first with any mods that are not bolt on. The engine only has about 40,000. I plan on replacing all the rubber pieces and sensors. Finding parts for this isn't easy and i work at an auto parts store. Even sourcing a 1g dsm shop manual is difficult. Thank you for the info

*update* i went for a drive today and tried to log it and there was a package size error. no live data. link says expected 60mb and received 63mb. i dont understand what happened and cant find any info searching the forums

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back