The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved 1G How to test Radiator Fan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowmanFD

Proven Member
Dec 11, 2021
North Seattle, Washington
My car is overheating when its sitting still. (See previous posting for more details) The first thing i would like to check is if the fan even works.
Im 95% shure its an aftermarket fan because of a few reasons
1. Theres only 1 fan instead of 2
2. Its very "slim" (think its a ebay slim fan)
3. There's a wire going from a switch (aftermarket) in the interior that ends "near" the wiring for the fan (doesn't connect)
4. There is a circular metal fuse insted of a black square like all the others

Solution
I could watch the video with better quality. Looks like it's using the stock wiring. There are 2 wires that are connected to the radiator fan (the wires in the pic below). Check the blue with red line wire for 12v (the blue/black is ground) while the key position ON and the short wire inserted. If you have 12v on that wire, the fan is dead. If you don't have 12v, the fuse or relay is blown or bad wiring in somewhere.
Also you can just unplug the radiator fan and connect the 2 wires from the fan to battery directly. If the fan doesn't spin, the fan is dead.
The fuse is in the small box that is attached on the battery + terminal. (Should be a pink one 30A)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First off, is this the...
Easiest way if you’re not good with electronics is it to let the car idle and see if it ever turns on. Just stand around for 5 minutes until car warms. If it doesn’t, just apply power and ground to the fan connector with some extra wire laying around to the battery.

You can test the fan (& motor) by itself by jumping off the battery. Positive & negative won't matter for this as switching each around changes the rotation direction.

Easiest way if you’re not good with electronics is it to let the car idle and see if it ever turns on. Just stand around for 5 minutes until car warms. If it doesn’t, just apply power and ground to the fan connector with some extra wire laying around to the battery.
You can test the fan (& motor) by itself by jumping off the battery. Positive & negative won't matter for this as switching each around changes the rotation direction.
Honestly i know close to nothing about wiring is there a video or photos i could use? The main thing im confused about is where on the fan i connect the "jumper" wires to?

Honestly i know close to nothing about wiring is there a video or photos i could use? The main thing im confused about is where on the fan i connect the "jumper" wires to?
Fan wiring is only ground and power. Two wires. Ground either wire to the engine bay somewhere then the other wire to the power battery terminal. Only lightly touch the power wire to see if fan clicks on. As mentioned prior, either wire can be power or ground.

Disconnect the connector to the fan motor & jump it there. If it's aftermarket there should only be 2 wires in the connector.

I replaced the temp sensor not to long ago because it was causing a no start so im thinking its not that.
For note, it could easily be a radiator cap or a coolant temp sensor issue as well.
when you say Radiator cap, do you mean its not creating a seal? Btw thx all for the help

My money is on the elcheapo fan. Probably moves less than 600cfms. When exactly does it overheat? How hot did it get?
So it only overheats when i sitting still and the car is warmed up. For example i turned the car on, let it get to operating temp for 10-15 min and i noticed it got a bit hotter then normal but once i started driving it cooled down. Later that night i was getting food at a drive thru when my hood started smoking. I know it was coolent because my other car had an issue very similar, where coolant would leak out of the overflow tank and on to the Radiator, also i smelled it, i looked down at the temp gauge and it was really hot like almost at full so i shut the car off and it very slowly started to go down. Once i got my food i started it back up and started driving. After a little bit of driving temp then went back to normal then the coolant light came on (side question: what makes the coolant light come on? Is it the thermostat?) I got home, parked it, and haven't driven it sense then.

There’s a sensor at the bottom of the reservoir that makes a connection when fluid gets below a certain point (it’s almost empty). Does the fan turn on with the switch? And are they on when this is happening? Is the fan wired to a sensor at the bottom of the radiator?

Last edited:
Unplug the #9 in the pic below (The white plug with a green and a black wire). Turn the key on. Connect the 2 terminals in the plug by using a short wire. If everything is working properly, you should see the radiator fan gets turned on. If not, you have some issue in its circuit or something has been modified by previous owner.

Last edited:
Unplug the #9 in the pic below (The white plug with a green and a black wire). Turn the key on. Connect the 2 terminals in the plug by using a short wire. If everything is working properly, you should see the radiator fan gets turned on. If not, you have some issue in its circuit or something has been modified by previous owner.
Does this look correct? And turn it to the on position (2 clicks forward) right?

Does this look correct? And turn it to the on position (2 clicks forward) right?

Yes. If it doesn’t turn on, try moving that toggle switch while you have the key on. Looks like po did wire that switch to the fan relay.

Supposed to be like the video below.
Even if you change the toggle switch position? If so, the radiator fan or relay is bad or/and improper (or/and damaged) wiring.
Did you hear the radiator fan relay clicked when you connected the 2 pins at the white plug?

Supposed to be like the video below.
Even if you change the toggle switch position? If so, the radiator fan or relay is bad or/and improper (or/and damaged) wiring.
Did you hear the radiator fan relay clicked when you connected the 2 pins at the white plug?
I had the wires already connected then put it in the on position. Is that an issue?

Also i don't think i heard the relay click there looks to be an aftermarket one (watch the vid)

I had the wires already connected then put it in the on position. Is that an issue?

Also i don't think i heard the relay click there looks to be an aftermarket one (watch the vid)
Maybe you didn't insert the short wire deep enough. Turn the key on and should try to connect the 2 pins under the hood. It would also allow you to hear the relay click easier.

So i can hear the relay click but still no fan 😕
Please upload some pics or drawing how exactly wired. Sounds like the fan or its fuse is dead, but still could be bad wiring.
Do you have a voltmeter? If you do, check if the fan is receiving 12v while you are inserting the short wire into the white plug, also make sure the fan is grounded well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back