The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

wrong oil = blown motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drooseph

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2010
san diego, California
So...i took pretty good care of my car when it ran but i had switched mobil1 delvac 15w-40. When i switched my oil pressure was always goodm lifter tick went away and my exhaust had this intoxicating smell to it, on the wasy back from a junkyard scouting trip the motor took a dump. started whining, i shut it off, pull over, check timing, sranks up but knocks super bad. the only variable I changed was the oil. could this be why i spun a bearing. i was allmost all stock with just intake and exhaust and it blew at 55mph and under 3k no boost.

hey now. ive come a long way with plenty of room to grow but this was a long time ago...october. but i dont get why this could be. all the diesel oil has additives for turbos and is the correct weight and fully synthetic can someone please explain this to me.

So, just for clarification, in order to save around $40 in oil costs, you decided to pour diesel oil into your gas burning engine, without ever looking online to see that diesel oil contains additives that are harmful to gas burning cars?

This is, without a doubt, the most absurd thing I have ever read on this forum.

Hey now. I've come a long way, with plenty of room to grow, but this was a long time ago, in October. but I don't get why this could be. All the diesel oils have additives for turbos,and are the correct weight, and are fully synthetic. Can someone please explain this to me?

Try it this way, now only your content is the problem, not the way you type.

Why yes, now that you have asked what you should have asked before destroying your motor, we can.

It's DIESEL oil. (See that big word?) it has ADDITIVES for DIESEL motors. (More big words) GASOLINE engines don't like ADDITIVES for DIESEL motors. (Again, the big words are the important ones) 4G63's don't even like whats in 90% of the oil on the market for gasoline engines, why in the bloody bowels of hell would you pour diesel oil in one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the problem. I've used rotella DIESEL oil as well as 1/4 of the forum in their DSM with no problems.
I think your bearings time was just up, don't blame the oil.

I think every single one of you who replied so far is greatly mistaken. NINJA EDIT: . . .Except for the guy just above me :).

Rotella T is oil used for diesel and especially big rigs. I run it all the time in all my cars. Please actually go to the Mobile 1 Delvac 15w-40 site. . . .

"Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 also meets or exceeds the API SL specification for gasoline engines and mixed fleets."

And further down.

"Applications

Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in:

. . .
•High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleet operators
. . .​
"

In fact it is likely far superior than conventional oil for turbo gasoline motors because it is catered to diesel applications that 99% of the time incorporate a turbo charger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why yes, now that you have asked what you should have asked before destroying your motor, we can.

It's DIESEL oil. (See that big word?) it has ADDITIVES for DIESEL motors. (More big words) GASOLINE engines don't like ADDITIVES for DIESEL motors. (Again, the big words are the important ones) 4G63's don't even like whats in 90% of the oil on the market for gasoline engines, why in the bloody bowels of hell would you pour diesel oil in one.

You need to do some research. :ohdamn:

This is all a very nice criticism but you still haven't explained why. Also, i dont like that you imply my lack of research when I clearly stated that others run diesel oil is gas engines.

i laughed until i googled it-- all the links i read pretty much said its fine.... but itd still never try it

desiel oil in gas car - Google Search

^^spelled incorrectly-- thanx auto correct :-/

:D thank you

You need to do some research. :ohdamn:

Look, all I'm saying is, you buy a dsm, you want that dsm to run right, you pony up the money for the oil you're SUPPOSED to use. If you don't give a $hit about how it runs, use diesel oil. Yeah, it'll probably work just fine, but it doesn't change the fact that you're doing it wrong, and tempting fate like a champ.

I see it like this, I bought my car, with my money, (not my parents, been paying my own way since I was 17) I'm not willing to take any chances by putting anything that's even remotely questionable in my motor.

Stop spouting off with bad information.

My car went down the quarter in the 12 second range on Rotella. Even a 11.95.

So suck it :p

Rotella 15-40 used here. Car loves it with the high zinc content. What is possible is when you switched a chunk of crud could have loosened up and got somewhere it shouldn't have.

Akira, the Mobil1 oil recommended from the factory is for a stock motor. Most people have motors far from stock and are generally considered race engines.

Please verify facts before posting.

This is all a very nice criticism but you still haven't explained why. Also, i dont like that you imply my lack of research when I clearly stated that others run diesel oil is gas engines.

Diesel oils contain detergents, typically magnesium. Some diesel oils are "mixed fleet" rated and TECHNICALLY should be okay, but in my opinion, not worth the risk.

Honestly, maybe your bearings blew on their own, or maybe the diesel oil killed them, nobody can really say for sure. But, in my experience, when something runs fine one day, and you change something, and something is screwed up the next day, typically whatever you changed caused the problem.

Rebuild is almost done. I just still bugs me that it dumped on me, an I was looking on insight as to why. And yes the bearings where horrible, but it was the second motor. The third, I have had fun rebuilding over time, minus the set back of stolen parts. Thank you to all those that didn't start automatically accusing me and insulting my intelligence.

Look, all I'm saying is, you buy a dsm, you want that dsm to run right, you pony up the money for the oil you're SUPPOSED to use. If you don't give a $hit about how it runs, use diesel oil. Yeah, it'll probably work just fine, but it doesn't change the fact that you're doing it wrong, and tempting fate like a champ.

I see it like this, I bought my car, with my money, (not my parents, been paying my own way since I was 17) I'm not willing to take any chances by putting anything that's even remotely questionable in my motor.

Not really. That's not all you said.

Back on topic. As I mentioned, right on the delvac mx 15w-40 website, it is recommended by exon-mobil to run this oil in high performance gasoline engines and meets or exceeds the API SL specification. Also "mixed fleet" means that it MUST work with gasoline motors just fine. It wasn't the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back