The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

wont start!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forzarallyOZ

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2010
marietta, Georgia
ive tried serching through here and still i havent found the problem...

night before car is boosting great running stong on the highway...next morning, wont start.

i hear the fuel pump, checked the spark plugs and wires and all spark, changed the ECT, changed the starter, changed the alternator, battery reading 12.3 volts, fuses are all good...timing blet is good

could it have lost compression overnight? sounds crazy...
flooded due to bad ECT? i showed symptoms before of a bad ECT i found through here so i changed it...

it turns and i hear it wanting to come on..it almost does a few times.. i did hear it backfire a couple times..
:confused:

Is it turning over at all?Maybe check the ignition relay..I had a bad connection at the ignition relay,and my car would not turn over at all.

its def turning over... ive pulled spark plug and was covered in gas... whether it was enouhg gas or spark im not sure.

its def turning over... ive pulled spark plug and was covered in gas... whether it was enouhg gas or spark im not sure.

Covered in gas? That is not good. Check your injectors, one of them may be stuck open and flooded the chamber.

I am having the same issue with a 1996 GSX that I have just rebuilt. If I unplug the fuel injectors plugs it will try to start but when I plug them back in it will foul back out. I can eventually get it to start by plugging them back in and holding the throttle wide open but even after warming up it will not start without WOT. I read on here that hard starts are caused by the coolent temp sensor so I replaced mine (no change) so you might give that a try.

Good luck and let me know if you find the gremlin messing with your car.

Regards
Chris

could it be cas?

Not sure in your case but when I did my rebuild I changed both cam and crank sensors. I just ordered a scanner/data logger for my laptop off eBay so I guess I just wait and see what mine is doing.

Did you try unpluging the fuel injectors to see if it tries to start with them unplugged?

Where did you get the starter from? Not to bash anyone's brand but Autozone, Advanced Auto parts and places like that have been known to hand out malfunctioning starters not saying that is for sure the case but i would check into it. If your solenoid is clicking its either an open circuit a bad battery or starter... maybe alternator ground is loose? And check all of your wires.

You have to have three things for an engine to run. Compression, fuel, and spark at the "right time"
Any one of those missing and you are not going to run. If you have wet plugs, likely you've lost ignition. Get a 12 volt test light and pull an injector connector. Hook your test light on the negative side of your battery, turn the key on and see if it lights up. If it does, you've got power there. Now, swap the connector to the positive side of the battery and GENTLY probe the other side of the connector while cranking engine. If light is steady on or steady off, that indicates injector drive circuit malfunction. The light should "wink" while cranking. If that is okay, take an old spark plug and clip off the ground. Put it in the spark plug boot and lay it on metal. Have someone crank the engine and observe the plug. There should be a good blue spark. No spark or faint spark could mean a lost ignition circuit. Try these and let us know what you find.

Good Luck

alright so ive rewired the coolant sensor and its sooooooo close to starting. it stumbles and turns on for maybe .5 seconds

ive checked the ohms in the coil pack and it checked out
cas checks out..i took it out the turned it by hand and heard pump prime and injectors click

??????

f...m...l.....

found i never checked the resistance on the connector of the coil sooooo i got a new one...

still doesnt run.

took ou the ecu... and no corrosion whatsoever....

Did you check timing? You said that it ran the day before and now it won't start, right. It is possible that when you shut off you car it may have stripped off some teeth on the belt. You could also check the main relay.

main relay meaning which one tht i havent checked already??

i checked also resistance of injectors and they also get power.
i lined up my timing marks and they all like up. 15T, 3pm, 9am

I am having the exact same issue as you. I have good compression, spark, and fuel. Timing is correct as well. ECT ohms out as well. Does your just crank endlessly and sometimes sputter like it will start?

It will sputter and sometimes backfire. It wants to start but nothing. I saw you vid and mine sounds exactly like yours.

Hmm It seems so weird. I have gone over and over this car, and everything checks out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back